Weird Breakfast Question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
This will be weird, but DO PEOPLE SERVE POTATOES with WAFFLES? Is there a way to do this so that it works? I saw a photo that I THOUGHT were potatoes, but now I think it wasn't but it appeared to be at a "fast glance"
What say you?

I say too much starch. Not to say someone wouldn't order a side of spuds at a diner if they had waffles, but it wouldn't be me.

I have never heard of it but a restaurant has been advertising waffles and chicken fingers. That is just too weird to me.

The chicken and waffles thing goes way back. It was an African American (soul food) specialty, after going out all night they would stop in at a diner and it would be "some wanted breakfast and some wanted dinner" so the whole chicken and waffles conglomeration.
I in fact, mentioned to DH just recently, MAYBE I SHOULD MAKE IT! With this whole influx of people saying "I don't eat red meat" voila HERE IS YOUR WAFFLE AND YOUR FRIED CHICKEN! The waffle absorbs the grease, like how people sometimes eat fried chicken with a piece of white bread.
I know I may be getting all southuhn on you now, but that is WHY that restaurant is advertising that. Probably originated from the old gin joints and jazz and people going out to eat afterward. We have a very popular chicken and waffles place downtown, everyone loves it! here is the one in Roanoke VA http://www.thelmaschickenandwaffles.biz/
lolos_chicken_plate.jpg

ARGH! There are potatoes on that plate on the website under MENU! ha ha

Um, I don't - like the pp'er, I think it's too much starch.
BUT - one morning (I don't know what I was thinking) I served those eggs-in-a-cloud on sourdough with roasted potatoes as a side. Really? No way! (that was me talking to myself) Thick slab of bread and potatoes. But...they all ate it all, so ymmv, I guess. I haven't done it again, tho.

The chicken and waffles thing goes way back. It was an African American (soul food) specialty, after going out all night they would stop in at a diner and it would be "some wanted breakfast and some wanted dinner" so the whole chicken and waffles conglomeration.
I in fact, mentioned to DH just recently, MAYBE I SHOULD MAKE IT! With this whole influx of people saying "I don't eat red meat" voila HERE IS YOUR WAFFLE AND YOUR FRIED CHICKEN! The waffle absorbs the grease, like how people sometimes eat fried chicken with a piece of white bread.
I know I may be getting all southuhn on you now, but that is WHY that restaurant is advertising that. Probably originated from the old gin joints and jazz and people going out to eat afterward. We have a very popular chicken and waffles place downtown, everyone loves it! here is the one in Roanoke VA http://www.thelmaschickenandwaffles.biz/
lolos_chicken_plate.jpg
OK, that is ugly food. I wouldn't eat that for breakfast OR dinner. Sorry.

Um, I don't - like the pp'er, I think it's too much starch.
BUT - one morning (I don't know what I was thinking) I served those eggs-in-a-cloud on sourdough with roasted potatoes as a side. Really? No way! (that was me talking to myself) Thick slab of bread and potatoes. But...they all ate it all, so ymmv, I guess. I haven't done it again, tho..
Bread + eggs + potatoes is kind of standard fare. Its the sweet waffle that's throwing me off!

If this is something that goes over well where you are, knock your socks off! Try it, and offer an alternate. Personally, it is not the potatoes and waffle thing that sounds weird to me, unusual yes, but fried chicken for breakfast.?...and cold pizzia still my secret fav.

I don't see potatoes, I see butter melting on the waffle and a bowl of grits in the background.
If I were served that breakfast I would eat every bite! Dang I'm hungry for grits now...

I don't see potatoes, I see butter melting on the waffle and a bowl of grits in the background.
If I were served that breakfast I would eat every bite! Dang I'm hungry for grits now....
Don Draper said:
If I were served that breakfast I would eat every bite! Dang I'm hungry for grits now...
No no potatoes in that photo, another I saw.

First of all, there are no weird breakfast questions!
regular_smile.gif

I think the potatoes and waffles are just too many carbohydrates. Add any fruit, juice, syrup, and your guests' blood glucose will go sky high! Not to mention the sheer bulk of potatoes and waffles.
Potatoes just always seem to be a better accompaniment to savory breakfasts imvvho.

Been thinking on this one. I think you really need to try it and see how it goes.. I am just not a big breakfast eater....but if you put a little moonshine in the orange juice....

I agree that it sounds like a lot of carbs and that chicken for breakfast sounds a bit odd - but maybe it's a cultural/regional thing.
For all the non-red-meat eaters you mention, and the non-egg people, that seem to be out there we came up with (or, more likely, stole/adapted from I forget where) what we call "Breakfast Pizzas".
With apologies if this is neither new, original or interesting - this is our non-vegetarian version...
Split an English Muffin in half - toast the halves - place them holey side up on a baking sheet - spread with herby tomato sauce (home-made if you have the energy, or from a jar of pasta sauce if you don't) - pile on a fried-up-the-evening-before mixture of finely sliced onions, mushrooms, bacon - top with grated chedder and pop in a hot oven for 10mins.
If you lay them on all on a serving platter and sprinkle a handful of chopped fresh parsley over the top of everything it looks really pretty - everyone thinks they're super cute and help themselves to plenty.
Also very easy to adapt for non-meat people too by subsituting red pepper, or anything else you prefer, for the bacon.
There seem to be a lot of non-egg-eating vegetarians around (or perhaps we just attract them for some reason) and this is one of the few "main course" dishes we've come up with which we are actually happy to serve them.

lolos_chicken_plate.jpg
I clogged an artery looking at the picture, thanks.

Back