Weird housekeeping question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had large waterproof pads on top of our thick mattress pads, which were on top of mattress enclosures. Those got checked when the beds were made daily and were probably laundered more often than the actual mattress pads. Mattress pads were usually laundered once/week. I had 2 for every room, plus an additional spare in King and Queen. Of course, anything with a stain or wet spot got laundered immediately.
Pillow covers were laundered between each guest. I have to qualify that our average length of stay was about 3 days. I don't know if I'd have been able to do that with a bunch of one nighters!
I had about 3 sets of washable bath rugs for each guest bathroom. They were replaced/laundered as needed, and definitely between each guest. A couple of rooms had decorator wool rugs in the bathrooms (large) that were not near the toilet or tub/shower which were vacuumed daily and we had to spot clean occasionally. We also had white bath mats that were replaced daily when towels were refreshed..
Rugs near toilets, icky. People like them there for their feet, but you know, the rest of that story...
Once I had a pregnant guest thankful for a bath rug as she sat on it and had morning sickness, she also had a weak bladder. Yes, agreed rugs have to be laundered too.

We had large waterproof pads on top of our thick mattress pads, which were on top of mattress enclosures. Those got checked when the beds were made daily and were probably laundered more often than the actual mattress pads. Mattress pads were usually laundered once/week. I had 2 for every room, plus an additional spare in King and Queen. Of course, anything with a stain or wet spot got laundered immediately.
Pillow covers were laundered between each guest. I have to qualify that our average length of stay was about 3 days. I don't know if I'd have been able to do that with a bunch of one nighters!
I had about 3 sets of washable bath rugs for each guest bathroom. They were replaced/laundered as needed, and definitely between each guest. A couple of rooms had decorator wool rugs in the bathrooms (large) that were not near the toilet or tub/shower which were vacuumed daily and we had to spot clean occasionally. We also had white bath mats that were replaced daily when towels were refreshed..
I love the idea of having a pad over the mattress pad. They carry the old-fashioned thin pads with elastic straps on the corners at IKEA--those would work great I think.
I appreciate all the replies. I was tallking about thicker rug type bath mats, not the towel-type-those always get washed.
To JB, I have sometimes been accused of being a little "too Martha" in my cleaning approach, but at each of my B & B's I am lucky that I get help with the laundry and the cleaning--and they are only 5 rooms each. But my help are local teenagers and sometimes I think they turn the rooms with their eyes closed .

I love the idea of having a pad over the mattress pad. They carry the old-fashioned thin pads with elastic straps on the corners at IKEA--those would work great I think.
I appreciate all the replies. I was tallking about thicker rug type bath mats, not the towel-type-those always get washed.
To JB, I have sometimes been accused of being a little "too Martha" in my cleaning approach, but at each of my B & B's I am lucky that I get help with the laundry and the cleaning--and they are only 5 rooms each. But my help are local teenagers and sometimes I think they turn the rooms with their eyes closed .
Domestique, just be sure if you get the waterproof mattress protectors that they're not really "noisy". I had something similar to what you described and they didn't crinkle or make a lot of noise on top of the mattress protector. They definitely saved the mattress pad on a few occasions.

Housekeeping duties are one of the most prime features of the hospitality industry. Such services have become very popular and in demand all over the world. Be it the corporate houses or holiday resort hotels, they all depend on these services for smooth functioning of their businesses.

Traditionally a housekeeper is a person employed to manage all household affairs in an organized and proficient manner. Many households require this essential domestic assistance and reap substantial benefits by employing a live in or live out full time housekeeper.

If you work as a housekeeper, or have been considering starting in this field, you'll likely never have trouble finding work. Housekeepers at all levels are in demand all over the country. The real key to making it in this role, however, is to find a job that pays more than the average salary.

Back