Weird, wacky and unusual fruits and vegetables

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Weird, wacky and unusual fruits and vegetables[/h1]
Article here
I have had every one except the ramps (which we talk about on this forum), and those ugly mushrooms. Do you recognize most of these? Have you tried them? Do you serve any of them to your guests?

Didn't recognize most of them, haven't had many of them. Would try a lot of them.

In addition to the ramps (easy eating but do not breathe on anyone for at least 3 days - WHEW!), I have had (and served) pomegrantes, star fruit did not impress me, and we have tried the green, purple, and the orange cauliflower (OK but he prefers the regular). I had kumquats when we were in Illinois but really do not remember if I liked them - too long ago.

i like the pretty carrots, sometimes i see them at a farmer's market and the pomegranates are fun but make such a mess!
as for the rest
some are pretty but i don't know about eating them.
some look like bugs or like they would hurt to touch so i don't know about eating them either.
guess i'm getting old.
sad_smile.gif

i like the pretty carrots, sometimes i see them at a farmer's market and the pomegranates are fun but make such a mess!
as for the rest
some are pretty but i don't know about eating them.
some look like bugs or like they would hurt to touch so i don't know about eating them either.
guess i'm getting old.
sad_smile.gif
We get those colorful carrots at my farm. They are different tasting than the 'usual' orange ones. Spicier.

If you come here in the spring you can have the morel mushrooms and the ramps, along with the fiddlehead ferns. Usually fiddleheads first, then ramps, then morels. The restuarant down the street makes appetizers of each as they come into season - usually sauteed and served on grilled bread. I've had a lot of the fruits but haven't tried a durian yet. Cherimoyas were underwhelming but who knows if I picked a ripe one? I haven't had as many of the veggies yet - haven't seen them around here.

If you come here in the spring you can have the morel mushrooms and the ramps, along with the fiddlehead ferns. Usually fiddleheads first, then ramps, then morels. The restuarant down the street makes appetizers of each as they come into season - usually sauteed and served on grilled bread. I've had a lot of the fruits but haven't tried a durian yet. Cherimoyas were underwhelming but who knows if I picked a ripe one? I haven't had as many of the veggies yet - haven't seen them around here..
Isn't the durian the one that really smells bad? I think, but I'm not sure, we came across that in Jamaica.

Alton Brown taught me to open and peel my pomegranates under water...
=)
Kk.

I have had almost all of them. Not ramps....and they sound tasty. Made assorted fingerling potatoes today as a breakfast side. I can't make them for everyone because the purple ones can look odd to some people. :)

just want to mention ... if served, i will try things. not sure how the average inngo-er acts. i think most would eat what they were given, but some were like little children still learning. do you remember the guest of mine who protested that i had the wrong size bananas? serving her a few of those pictured goodies would have sent her screaming out the door.

just want to mention ... if served, i will try things. not sure how the average inngo-er acts. i think most would eat what they were given, but some were like little children still learning. do you remember the guest of mine who protested that i had the wrong size bananas? serving her a few of those pictured goodies would have sent her screaming out the door..
seashanty said:
serving her a few of those pictured goodies would have sent her screaming out the door.
No great loss?

Didn't recognize most of them, haven't had many of them. Would try a lot of them..
you arn't allowed to ear Durian fruit in most hotels in Thailand because of the smell! makes me laugh when I see the signs!

The fiddlehead fern (at number 12) is called "Lingri" here . Only avaialbe during this season & is highly popular with all of us at home & guests alike.
It's a royal delicacy, if you get a chance to try it, just don't have it raw. Requires atleast 30 minutes of boiling/steaming.
Carrots are red coloured here.
Lychee at number 14 is again a great fruit. Remember to peel it!
Morels @ No. 15... we have a term called "Guchi" which resembles these (Wild mushrooms growth, found only in some jungles/ areas untouched by sunlight). The most expensive of 'em all. Prices can touch US $ 200 to $300 per 100 gms.
Persimmon @ No. 16 (Known as "Japani Phal" locally<Japanese Fruit>. Really sweet & tasty in raw form. Peel outer skin beforehand.
Pomegranate @ No. 17&18 - Way too common. One of the best things to beat the heat. Just don't over eat (Upsets stomach)
Pomelo @ No. 19 - We use it to make pickles. Forgot it's local name.
No. 21 - Taken in raw form here. Part of salad you can say.

The fiddlehead fern (at number 12) is called "Lingri" here . Only avaialbe during this season & is highly popular with all of us at home & guests alike.
It's a royal delicacy, if you get a chance to try it, just don't have it raw. Requires atleast 30 minutes of boiling/steaming.
Carrots are red coloured here.
Lychee at number 14 is again a great fruit. Remember to peel it!
Morels @ No. 15... we have a term called "Guchi" which resembles these (Wild mushrooms growth, found only in some jungles/ areas untouched by sunlight). The most expensive of 'em all. Prices can touch US $ 200 to $300 per 100 gms.
Persimmon @ No. 16 (Known as "Japani Phal" locally<Japanese Fruit>. Really sweet & tasty in raw form. Peel outer skin beforehand.
Pomegranate @ No. 17&18 - Way too common. One of the best things to beat the heat. Just don't over eat (Upsets stomach)
Pomelo @ No. 19 - We use it to make pickles. Forgot it's local name.
No. 21 - Taken in raw form here. Part of salad you can say..
Fiddleheads are popular here and I use them when I can get them. Some of the guests are adventureous... some aren't. You don't need to cook them that long, but you need to cook them TWICE. You boil them in water, pour out the water, rinse them and then boil them a second time and then you can serve them. They leech out an acid the first time you cook them, so you dump the water, clean them of it and the second time, they are perfectly fine to eat.

Back