Welcome all ABOUT members

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Hello to all our friends from the BANDB.ABOUT forum. It is my hope that you will find this place a little less overrun with pop-over, blinky, and animated ads. It is designed (and will continue to be designed) to meet our needs as innkeepers.
The style is a little different than what you may be used to. Feel free to try things out (you can't break anything I can't fix). We'll all be patient during the learning curve.
Welcome, and just like you'd say to your guests, please make yourself at home.
-Steve

Is this a private forum??? I have a private Canadian forum and we love knowing that only members can read and post.

Hi Ginocat, glad you could make it. No it is not private. It is open to any innkeepers who want to come participate. Technically it is easy to make things private but then we'd need a gatekeeper who could say, "you are allowed to make an account" and "You are not allowed to make an account." I'm just not sure how I would know who to approve and who to not approve. I'd prefer to keep it open to any and all as long as they abide by the rules. (no spamming, no over the top vulgarity... common courtesy)

Since we are always saying that photos are so important I thought I'd toss in here the how to's on adding a photo to your post ;)

Swirt--
On your list of features you have that about.com doesn't let you only see the posts you haven't read yet. There's a setting there that works, because whenever I log on to about.com all I see is the posts I haven't read yet. So to be fair and honest you should change about.com's column to yes.
=) Kk.

Swirt--
On your list of features you have that about.com doesn't let you only see the posts you haven't read yet. There's a setting there that works, because whenever I log on to about.com all I see is the posts I haven't read yet. So to be fair and honest you should change about.com's column to yes.
=) Kk..
Kk - what columned list are you referring to? Can you post the link? I seem to have missed it...
Jeanne

Swirt--
=) Kk..
Good point, that setting never sticks for me, it always reverts to "today" I'm going to remove that line altogether because it is not accurate for any of them without more explanation.

Hi Ginocat, glad you could make it. No it is not private. It is open to any innkeepers who want to come participate. Technically it is easy to make things private but then we'd need a gatekeeper who could say, "you are allowed to make an account" and "You are not allowed to make an account." I'm just not sure how I would know who to approve and who to not approve. I'd prefer to keep it open to any and all as long as they abide by the rules. (no spamming, no over the top vulgarity... common courtesy).
On my forum, and other private ones, a person has to apply with their web site and other information that can be verified. The advantags of a private forum are obvious. We can talk about issues and problems (even problem guests) that we might not like the general public to see.

Hi Ginocat, glad you could make it. No it is not private. It is open to any innkeepers who want to come participate. Technically it is easy to make things private but then we'd need a gatekeeper who could say, "you are allowed to make an account" and "You are not allowed to make an account." I'm just not sure how I would know who to approve and who to not approve. I'd prefer to keep it open to any and all as long as they abide by the rules. (no spamming, no over the top vulgarity... common courtesy).
On my forum, and other private ones, a person has to apply with their web site and other information that can be verified. The advantags of a private forum are obvious. We can talk about issues and problems (even problem guests) that we might not like the general public to see.
ginocat said:
...a person has to apply with their web site and other information that can be verified. ...
Does that rule out aspirings?
I'm not completely opposed to the idea, but I've been a member of a few private forums and in each case they have died out from lack of member participation. You have to draw in new members to keep the participation up. The real problem is that if pages are private, then they don't show up in the search engines, which is what typically contributes the new members.
My take on it (at the moment) is that the charter members coming in from ABOUT know the issues with privacy and know how to manage it with aliases and dual accounts. I put a lot of energy into getting this built and I'm not ready at the moment to risk making it invisible by taking it private.

Guess I've been gone awhile!
Thanks for this new forum. Went to about.com and found a reference to this one right away, so us 'oldies' can find you all.
Been busy this summer with....B&B. Very happy.

Thanks for this new forum. Went to about.com and found a reference to this one right away, so us 'oldies' can find you all.
Been busy this summer with....B&B. Very happy..
Skamokawa said:
Been busy this summer with....B&B. Very happy.
WELCOME BACK! WE have missed you, used to be BK aka EB now JBJ
PS High Street Victorian who is a new innkeeper in MO used to live in Bremerton.
regular_smile.gif

Welcome back! Great news that you've been busy with your B&B :)

Glad you found yoru way over here. Welcome.

Thanks Steve for Hosting and doing this site! Thanks to EL for the refferel, I stopped going to about.com months ago cause I could not understand there format, Occasionally I read the ads left by other Innkeepers though.
Now I have to Catch up!! Where is Sue and Emmett at?

Welcome to the new forum Josh. Hope you have been as busy as you wanted to be this summer. This is a great new format.

Thanks Steve for Hosting and doing this site! Thanks to EL for the refferel, I stopped going to about.com months ago cause I could not understand there format, Occasionally I read the ads left by other Innkeepers though.
Now I have to Catch up!! Where is Sue and Emmett at?.
They are here under new IDs
wink_smile.gif
Welcome to Innspiring!

Hi Josh,
Glad you made your way over here too. Sue and Emmett are here, just under other names.

Hi Josh,
Glad you made your way over here too. Sue and Emmett are here, just under other names.
swirt said:
Hi Josh,
Always thought Emmett was a top bloke.

Welcome to the new forum Josh. Hope you have been as busy as you wanted to be this summer. This is a great new format..
almost 100% sold out all summer.. Yay!! and I lost 42 lbs as well...
regular_smile.gif

hey Congrats! How did you do that? I hope it was because you wanted to lose it...
I guess running around keeping up with 100% occupancy can do that for you
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Back