welcome to B and B – bed and biking! - INN the news 08.26.08

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This IS something that I've thought about. I think I have a neighbor who could be the biking guide. Not sure about the liability though. We are going to have a new "rails to trails" path completed in about a year or so. That will be the time to hit it as there will be a couple of opportunities nearby.

How many bikes do you think you would need? Would you have to provide enough bikes for a full house? Where would you store them? What about insurance?

This IS something that I've thought about. I think I have a neighbor who could be the biking guide. Not sure about the liability though. We are going to have a new "rails to trails" path completed in about a year or so. That will be the time to hit it as there will be a couple of opportunities nearby..
We are quickly becoming a biking mecca here. We had a triatalon 2 weeks ago that attracted 1100 participants and last week a bike rid of some sort which attracted over 400. We now have 2 bike shops in town who rent bikes to tourists so need need for B & B's to get into that..and of course worry about the liability issue as well. We have a wonderful almost 4 mile bike /hike trail from one end of our town to the other. It has been the catalyst to downtown revitalization. IT is GREAT!

This IS something that I've thought about. I think I have a neighbor who could be the biking guide. Not sure about the liability though. We are going to have a new "rails to trails" path completed in about a year or so. That will be the time to hit it as there will be a couple of opportunities nearby..
One of the ladies who used to be involved in our local rail-trail group (dropped out because DH has the Big A) had a bike shop and rented bikes. She told me the insurance would eat us alive.
I have 2 bikes in the shed (both are 21-speed Bianchis) and helmets for my guests to use. I do NOT rent them but do suggest a donation to the local food bank for the use of the bikes. Since I am not renting them I am not responsible (signing a waiver would probably be a good idea also although it really is not worth squat legally - they can still sue) and if they want to make a donation - great! One bike belongs to me and the other belongs to a friend who stores it in my shed and told me my guests can use it.

There are a lot of bikers and bike tours here. I can't get involved in renting bikes- would be Waaaay to risky for a law suit. The roads they bike here are very narrow and the cars don't pay attention to the bikers. The bikers also do things like bike up the steep road to Monticello during rush hour, and cause long lines of cars that either can't pass or do so dangerously. I wish they would make bike paths but that would take an Act of Congress they way they deal with property here.
Riki

marketing to cyclists is an amazing idea, and having bikes for loan at your inn is a fantastic ideas well. I've been into cycling since I was a teenager, and many people, myself included plan our vacations around riding. B&Bs are in a great position to welcome bikers for a few reasons:
1.Bike Storage:You can safely store people's bikes. This may not seem like a huge deal to non riders, but most riders serious enough to travel to ride probably have at least $2,000 in their bike, and that's the bottom end price wise. Have you ever attempted to store your bike securely at a hotel? It's nearly impossible and most hotels have an issue with you bringing it up the elevator and into your room. There is no way I am letting my Kona out of my site or letting some bellhop man handle it.
2.The Breakfast: It's easy to burn a silly amount of calories riding, and being able to have a real breakfast, with actual food instead of the overpriced junk at a hotel is going to make a quantifiable difference in teh quality of your ride that day. I will make one caveat that a lot of people who are traveling to a race may skip breakfast altogether.
3. The Area - many B&Bs are located in areas that have a stunning amount of trails and quiet roads. Since a lot of B&Bs are in in 'tourist' destinations there is a great likelyhood that there are maps and information available for these rides which is a big bonus.
4.The media LOVES biking stories, below is a link from a recent one I set up with MSN. If you have bike tours that involve your B&B there's a good chance someone will feature them
http://tinyurl.com/5spoza
[Links to PDF]

marketing to cyclists is an amazing idea, and having bikes for loan at your inn is a fantastic ideas well. I've been into cycling since I was a teenager, and many people, myself included plan our vacations around riding. B&Bs are in a great position to welcome bikers for a few reasons:
1.Bike Storage:You can safely store people's bikes. This may not seem like a huge deal to non riders, but most riders serious enough to travel to ride probably have at least $2,000 in their bike, and that's the bottom end price wise. Have you ever attempted to store your bike securely at a hotel? It's nearly impossible and most hotels have an issue with you bringing it up the elevator and into your room. There is no way I am letting my Kona out of my site or letting some bellhop man handle it.
2.The Breakfast: It's easy to burn a silly amount of calories riding, and being able to have a real breakfast, with actual food instead of the overpriced junk at a hotel is going to make a quantifiable difference in teh quality of your ride that day. I will make one caveat that a lot of people who are traveling to a race may skip breakfast altogether.
3. The Area - many B&Bs are located in areas that have a stunning amount of trails and quiet roads. Since a lot of B&Bs are in in 'tourist' destinations there is a great likelyhood that there are maps and information available for these rides which is a big bonus.
4.The media LOVES biking stories, below is a link from a recent one I set up with MSN. If you have bike tours that involve your B&B there's a good chance someone will feature them
http://tinyurl.com/5spoza
[Links to PDF].
When I opened there was a B & B at the other end of the rail-trail that is 50 feet from my house (I am at the southern trailhead). I started an inn-to-inn package that was VERY popular. They have retired.
I now have a Bike N Winery Package that is quite popular. It involves biking or hiking on the rail-trail while I pack lunches and then the guests return to get the directions to the winery (via covered bridges, craft shops, and a craft shop with glass blower). They eat their lunches at the winery (during the winter in front of the fireplace in the tasting room) and tour the winery and visit the tasting room of course. Some also book one of my dinners as part of the package. I have about 8 rail-trails in my area.
My day trip routings for motorcycles are popular also.

We are quickly becoming a biking mecca here. We had a triatalon 2 weeks ago that attracted 1100 participants and last week a bike rid of some sort which attracted over 400. We now have 2 bike shops in town who rent bikes to tourists so need need for B & B's to get into that..and of course worry about the liability issue as well. We have a wonderful almost 4 mile bike /hike trail from one end of our town to the other. It has been the catalyst to downtown revitalization. IT is GREAT!
Not interested in renting bikes here...we have a fantastic bike shop within walking distance. We have an 18 mile paved RiverWalk that is getting ready to expand, and the Rails to Trails will be about 20 some miles long to the East. I don't know what liability there would be in hiring a biking guide.
We have a locked garage where we could store bikes. I think the riding group here will get into some big bike events with the addition of the Rails to Trails path.

One of the ladies who used to be involved in our local rail-trail group (dropped out because DH has the Big A) had a bike shop and rented bikes. She told me the insurance would eat us alive.
I have 2 bikes in the shed (both are 21-speed Bianchis) and helmets for my guests to use. I do NOT rent them but do suggest a donation to the local food bank for the use of the bikes. Since I am not renting them I am not responsible (signing a waiver would probably be a good idea also although it really is not worth squat legally - they can still sue) and if they want to make a donation - great! One bike belongs to me and the other belongs to a friend who stores it in my shed and told me my guests can use it.
So since you don't rent them the law looks at it as they chose to ride them? Should I check with a lawyer here? I would go wtih getting bikes and letting them use them free. But I'm still afraid that since they used my bike they could sue me. It's beautiful here for bike riding, but the small country roads are narrow, and the locals drive on them far too fast. But I do see some biking and there are bike tours done here, as well as benefits doing biking.
Riki

Not interested in renting bikes here...we have a fantastic bike shop within walking distance. We have an 18 mile paved RiverWalk that is getting ready to expand, and the Rails to Trails will be about 20 some miles long to the East. I don't know what liability there would be in hiring a biking guide.
We have a locked garage where we could store bikes. I think the riding group here will get into some big bike events with the addition of the Rails to Trails path.
Samster said:
That is something I would do if I were you. Get on some websites or contact someone(s) for your trail there. You are in a perfect location for that.

So since you don't rent them the law looks at it as they chose to ride them? Should I check with a lawyer here? I would go wtih getting bikes and letting them use them free. But I'm still afraid that since they used my bike they could sue me. It's beautiful here for bike riding, but the small country roads are narrow, and the locals drive on them far too fast. But I do see some biking and there are bike tours done here, as well as benefits doing biking.
Riki
Riki,
Definitely ask your lawyer BUT be aware that anyone can sue you about any thing at any time. Biking IS big and will bring you many, many guests - especially with wine attached! These are people who see themselves as "better" people ($$$) who are environmental and health conscious with the biking and educated and therefore know fine wine and excellent food. Put it all together and you cannot lose.
Edited to add: Most of them are actually nice people too - not snobs (yes, there are a few of them too though.)

Bikers bike year-round. Many of my rail-trail users are teachers - they are off in the summer so that is when they travel. There are teacher magazines where I would advertise a biking package. Would already have done it if I had thought of it before I was typing this. Will be investigating costs to do that this winter.

Back