welcoming trays....or drinks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine and cheese receptions are common here and we've never had a problem. We don't charge for it and it is part of the amenities. We don't serve hard drinks..
SweetiePie said:
Wine and cheese receptions are common here and we've never had a problem. We don't charge for it and it is part of the amenities. We don't serve hard drinks.
In Virginia I have been told by the authorities it is NOT LEGAL to give alcohol for FREE. We must allot a portion of the room rate towards it.
I believe it depends not only on the state but the county and then who is enforcing it. I see things done that are supposedly not allowed often. And when the person who does the enforcing is replaced, it changes.
Riki
It is not legal to give alcohol to guests in VA. You must have the B & B Liquor license to do so.
But also your insurance company may not allow it either. Ours was Farm Bureau and they told us they would not cover us if we even gave alcohol to our guests. They don't care if the guests bring their own..we just could not serve it.
catlady said:
It is not legal to give alcohol to guests in VA. You must have the B & B Liquor license to do so.
But also your insurance company may not allow it either. Ours was Farm Bureau and they told us they would not cover us if we even gave alcohol to our guests. They don't care if the guests bring their own..we just could not serve it.
Yes, we were told by the older inns here to go to their local insurance companies who "allow it no problem". We went to the same office, same employee, who told us NO.
So we are insured with Markel who is a BBAV vendor. Very happy with them. They have the alcohol rider.
[COLOR= rgb(43, 37, 32)]Markel Insurance Company[/COLOR]
800-431-1270 Ext 1724
www.inninsurance.com
[email protected]

Riki

Thanks for everyones input, I will call around and see if I can find out more.
I never actually gave alcohol, just offered it and they passed.
There were guests who brought their own wine, but like you said, I did not furnish that, so that's a different story.

Back