welcoming trays....or drinks

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
Many B&B's offer welcoming trays, like cheese trays, wines, etc...
How do you go about it, if you offer these services?
Have them sit out or offer when guests arrive ?
maybe offer them as a late eveing snack?
I thought about it but never did so because I can't seem to find a right way to doing it.
But when I had a "Girls Spa" at my house, a guest who had previous reservations and checked in, absolutely loved the fingerfoods I put out ( they were for the girls, but heck, there was plenty to go around ).
Seeing how much he and his son liked it, I would like to offer this to all my guests. Except I never have a definate time when they arrive and having cheese sit out most of the afternoon is not inviting either.
Any suggestions?
Maggie

A link to a previous discussion about this and how other places have set things up... https://www.innspiring.com/node/2942.
Thanks Bree
regular_smile.gif

I have a beverage area with tea and coffee and pop in the refrigerator. Also have candy out in a bowl. Also have the hard bread sticks out in a bowl. These are all individually wrapped. Otherwise, I don't charge enough to put out more food.

I do a wine, cheese and fruit tray for my Three Day Retreat guests. They usually arrive around 4 PM, so I just prepare it when they arrive and get settled in. That way the fruit stays fresh.

Sometimes with the way I've been running around here all day, by the time guests get in, I need a drink and a cheese tray
confused_smile.gif

Sometimes with the way I've been running around here all day, by the time guests get in, I need a drink and a cheese tray
confused_smile.gif
Samster said:
confused_smile.gif
Aren't I the one always asking you if you want a little cheese with your whine?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

As we think more and more about extra amenities, we have to think about the cost. If there is a 50/50 chance guest will enjoy this added amenity then that means 50% of the time it could be wasted. That is pretty costly.

Our Three Day Retreat isn't cheap so it's covered. I tell them by email and ask their preferences for red or white wine etc. That way, nothing goes to waste. If they aren't drinkers then I fix something comparable. It's a nice way for them to relax and unwind after their trip. Definitely worth it, just for the mellow factor.

Our Three Day Retreat isn't cheap so it's covered. I tell them by email and ask their preferences for red or white wine etc. That way, nothing goes to waste. If they aren't drinkers then I fix something comparable. It's a nice way for them to relax and unwind after their trip. Definitely worth it, just for the mellow factor..
Do you have to have a liquor license where you are to serve wine to your guests? We can't even give it away here without a license. The license is not cheap either.

Wine and cheese receptions are common here and we've never had a problem. We don't charge for it and it is part of the amenities. We don't serve hard drinks.

Our Three Day Retreat isn't cheap so it's covered. I tell them by email and ask their preferences for red or white wine etc. That way, nothing goes to waste. If they aren't drinkers then I fix something comparable. It's a nice way for them to relax and unwind after their trip. Definitely worth it, just for the mellow factor..
Do you have to have a liquor license where you are to serve wine to your guests? We can't even give it away here without a license. The license is not cheap either.
I called our state dpartment since I don't want to get in trouble and they told me this:
Since the B&B is really my home, I can serve anything I like. There are no laws about alcohol in your home.
BUT...a big BUT.... I cannot advertise alcohol, not even as an inclusion in a package. THEN I will need a license.
I guess it varies by state and I'd recommend to contact the authoroties and find out.
So I pretty much advertise sparkling cider, but will ask the guest if they would rather have wine instead, for an extra charge, of course :)

SweetiePie said:
Our Three Day Retreat isn't cheap so it's covered. I tell them by email and ask their preferences for red or white wine etc. That way, nothing goes to waste. If they aren't drinkers then I fix something comparable. It's a nice way for them to relax and unwind after their trip. Definitely worth it, just for the mellow factor.
Yes, I agree, that is what I meant. If you had a bunch of one nighters then add that into the cost of the room and we'd probably be in the red by the time they checked out. LOL!

I called our state dpartment since I don't want to get in trouble and they told me this:
Since the B&B is really my home, I can serve anything I like. There are no laws about alcohol in your home.
BUT...a big BUT.... I cannot advertise alcohol, not even as an inclusion in a package. THEN I will need a license.
I guess it varies by state and I'd recommend to contact the authoroties and find out.
So I pretty much advertise sparkling cider, but will ask the guest if they would rather have wine instead, for an extra charge, of course :)
Mooseberry Inn said:
Try calling the ATF. See what they say.
If you have PAYING guests in your home, it is not just your home. Liability is an issue when you serve people alcohol. Same reason you need to show PROOF of age to purchase or drink it. Which reminds me, Is the drinking age still 18 in Alaska?

Wine and cheese receptions are common here and we've never had a problem. We don't charge for it and it is part of the amenities. We don't serve hard drinks..
SweetiePie said:
Wine and cheese receptions are common here and we've never had a problem. We don't charge for it and it is part of the amenities. We don't serve hard drinks.
In Virginia I have been told by the authorities it is NOT LEGAL to give alcohol for FREE. We must allot a portion of the room rate towards it.
I believe it depends not only on the state but the county and then who is enforcing it. I see things done that are supposedly not allowed often. And when the person who does the enforcing is replaced, it changes.
Riki

Mooseberry Inn said:
Try calling the ATF. See what they say.
If you have PAYING guests in your home, it is not just your home. Liability is an issue when you serve people alcohol. Same reason you need to show PROOF of age to purchase or drink it. Which reminds me, Is the drinking age still 18 in Alaska?
Ever since I moved here in '91 it has been 21 also.
But across the border, in Canada, it is still 19.
When I called up the state, I spoke to people who issue the liqueur licenses and they are very particular here.

Wine and cheese receptions are common here and we've never had a problem. We don't charge for it and it is part of the amenities. We don't serve hard drinks..
That's what some inns thought here...until the city caught up with them. Once you have a business license here, it's not just your home anymore. They were required to get liquor licenses. I have no idea what they have to pay to the city, other than the license fee. We just did not want to go that route...also because of liability issues. Of course, if we were in a wine area somewhere, that would be a totally different story.

SweetiePie said:
In Virginia I have been told by the authorities it is NOT LEGAL to give alcohol for FREE. We must allot a portion of the room rate towards it.
I believe it depends not only on the state but the county and then who is enforcing it. I see things done that are supposedly not allowed often. And when the person who does the enforcing is replaced, it changes.
Riki
It is not legal to give alcohol to guests in VA. You must have the B & B Liquor license to do so.
But also your insurance company may not allow it either. Ours was Farm Bureau and they told us they would not cover us if we even gave alcohol to our guests. They don't care if the guests bring their own..we just could not serve it.

Back