Welding works of art at Art Prize

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
[FONT= 'Times New Roman']Welding works of art at Art Prize[/FONT]
Sentinel-Standard
The 6 foot by 7 foot, 340 pound metal dragon sculpture is spending the next three weeks greeting guests at the Peaches Bed and Breakfast as an Art Prize ...

The fellow has talent....but.......Well you see what you think about having this in front of YOUR B & B!

If nothing else, you would get noticed! Esp certain places and certain times of the year, a week or two ago there was a very popular renaissance fair about 25 minutes from us. I bet we could have filled up with that in our yard! ha ha

If nothing else, you would get noticed! Esp certain places and certain times of the year, a week or two ago there was a very popular renaissance fair about 25 minutes from us. I bet we could have filled up with that in our yard! ha ha.
Yeah or...this might make a good deterrent at the gate when innnkeeper doesn't want any "looky loos". Inn closed...do not enter..breathing fire!!!

That ones not bad. I like our local dragon better. He's about 8 feet tall.
behold-the-dragon-of-new-hope-pa-april-2009.jpg

Michigan is well-known for it's iron artists. Moran Iron Work is internationally known for their industrial AND artisitic ironworking...from Abe Lincoln and George Washington to the Unknown Soldier and Lady Liberty, they've done it all! See them here.

When my boys were babies I used to go for a walk every morning and we'd go past this cool ecletic antique store that had two lions out front... we were sad when one day they were sold. Then we found they'd been bought by a B&B in town.
Later when I was doing my research I interviewed the innkeeper and he gave me a tour. Among other things he told me is that people can never seem to find his house, even though it's the only brick house with brick pillars out front. Other innkeepers as well told me it's useful to have something out in the front yard (one had an angel carving) for people to notice.
Guess a dragon would work....
=)
Kk.

When my boys were babies I used to go for a walk every morning and we'd go past this cool ecletic antique store that had two lions out front... we were sad when one day they were sold. Then we found they'd been bought by a B&B in town.
Later when I was doing my research I interviewed the innkeeper and he gave me a tour. Among other things he told me is that people can never seem to find his house, even though it's the only brick house with brick pillars out front. Other innkeepers as well told me it's useful to have something out in the front yard (one had an angel carving) for people to notice.
Guess a dragon would work....
=)
Kk..
We had a friend who was a scuba diver and he found an anchor on a dive. He had it brough up and moved to his front yard. To this day we refer to his house to the kids as the house with the anchor.

People can't find ours with a sign out front and a sign out back, the only house in the entire town with a big white fence and a parking lot. You can drive in a circle and find our place again and again and again. :)

South of here is a farm with a big pink pig in front of it. It is so distinctive that I was reading the classifieds about yard sales and one of them said, "across from the pig."
=)
Kk.

Alot of people around here are really excited about Artprize as a tourist draw. It's a really neat idea, and businesses get to pick the art that is displayed at their locations. With over 1200 pieces of art, it should be a really neat event.
cheers.gif
I can't wait to check them out.

South of here is a farm with a big pink pig in front of it. It is so distinctive that I was reading the classifieds about yard sales and one of them said, "across from the pig."
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
We have a local concrete pig in town that is painted differently for each season or each ball game, etc. There is a place in a nearby county we went that had directions to turn right when you see the rhinos. We had no idea what this was, someone kept rhinos in a field? Rhino liner application place? Statuary?
We never did see the rhinos as we found it easier to go gps by street names...ugh. But asked and were told they are rhino statues off the left side of the road, where we are to turn right.
Y'all just reminded me of this town...hang on let me find it...we drove through on a detour and laughed out loud, it was so fun! Lexington NC the pigs are all over the town dressed in costumes. http://www.uptownlexington.com/Events/events.asp
wiki has an article and photos: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pigs_in_the_City
[tr]October 23
6 pm[/td]Pigs in the City ... After Dark

Here is your chance to own a Pigs in the City pig for your own! Join us at the Davidson County Fairgrounds the evening before the BBQ Festival! The evening starts with a BBQ dinner at 6 followed by the auction of 11 pigs. Then, dance to the sounds of Special Occasion. As an extra special treat, Jeff Hale with Hales Fireworks will light the night sky with a fireworks spectacular at 9:30. And, dancing continues after the fireworks! Tickets are $30 each and include dinner with 3 complimentary beverage tickets, auction, live music, and fireworks. Make plans to join us for a great evening of fun! Call Uptown Lexington for table prices.
Contact Uptown Lexington at 336-249-0383 for more information.[/td][/tr][tr]October 24
9 am - 5 pm[/td]Pigs...Together Again at the 26th Annual Lexington Barbecue Festival

Drop by our office to see pigs from Pigs in the City V gathered together in one place! It's your last chance to cast your vote for your favorite pig! And, it is the last day to purchase raffle tickets for a hand crafted quilt which features 25 pigs from Pigs in the City 1-4! Drawing will be at 6 pm.
[/td][/tr][/table][tr]May 18
6:30 pm[/td]Pigs in the City V – the Premiere & Hall of Fame Induction
Catch the first glimpse of the newest pigs for Pigs In The City V! Join us for a gala premiere at the EC Smith Civic Center on South Main Street when the 20 new pigs will be introduced to their awaiting public in grand style. The first four inductees into the new Pigs in the City Hall of Fame will also be announced! Tickets are $17.50 or 2 for $30 for the preview and party, $2.00 for just the preview. Seats for the party portion of the evening are limited! call today for your tickets!
Contact Uptown Lexington at 336-249-0383 for tickets and more information.[/td][/tr][tr]May 22
Through
October 20[/td]Pigs in the City V
Throughout Historic Uptown Lexington. They’re back! Come see 20 new whimsically decorated fiberglass pigs in the town where barbecue is the most favorite food! Visit the Uptown Lexington office or an uptown merchant for a map to all the pigs. A penny a vote casts your vote for your favorite new pig! Vote in Uptown Lexington's Office through October 23rd. Pigs in the City V merchandise is also available in Uptown Lexington's office.
Contact Uptown Lexington, Inc. at 336-249-0383 for more information.
[/td][/tr][tr]May 22
6pm - 8pm[/td]Uptown Friday Stroll with Pigs In The City V
Throughout the Uptown Lexington Historical District. Come be the first to do the pig walk with the 20 new pigs on the sidewalks! You can also learn about great tourism destinations right here in Davidson County. Plus, enjoy the sounds of the Marble Alley Band on the Square and the Lexington Middle School Jazz Band on 2nd Avenue. Join your neighbors and enjoy an evening in Uptown, see the pigs, visit merchants for great service and merchandise, and enjoy a meal or snack in one of our great restaurants..
Contact Uptown Lexington, Inc. at 336-249-0383 for more information.[/td][/tr][/table]

The City of Chester, WV had the World's Largest Teapot that was an attraction and i imagine a direction finder.
I used to find the house of a friend by looking for his anchor in the yard. It was from a ship on Lake Michigan that had gone down and he salvaged it.

Back