We'll all be very busy tomorrow...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
So everyone have a Happy Thanksgiving! Whether you are home or away, enjoy the day.
As always, very thankful for all my friends here, all the help, all the laughs, all the tears, joys shared and troubles halved through sharing.
heart.gif

We don't celebrate thanks giving but we appreciate the thought. We have a holiday in November on the 5th called Bonfire night and it sounds completely bonkers when we try and explain what it is about. Basically it is us celebrating terrorists trying to blow up the houses of parliament and failing by having a huge party and lighting huge fires with scarecrows on top. we also set off a ton of fire works (cos of the gunpowder)

We don't celebrate thanks giving but we appreciate the thought. We have a holiday in November on the 5th called Bonfire night and it sounds completely bonkers when we try and explain what it is about. Basically it is us celebrating terrorists trying to blow up the houses of parliament and failing by having a huge party and lighting huge fires with scarecrows on top. we also set off a ton of fire works (cos of the gunpowder).
Guy Fawkes Day!

We don't celebrate thanks giving but we appreciate the thought. We have a holiday in November on the 5th called Bonfire night and it sounds completely bonkers when we try and explain what it is about. Basically it is us celebrating terrorists trying to blow up the houses of parliament and failing by having a huge party and lighting huge fires with scarecrows on top. we also set off a ton of fire works (cos of the gunpowder).
BTW, we have a similar holiday here- we call it the 4th of July.
wink_smile.gif

Guy Fawkes Day!
You beat me to it! Camberly - we know about Guy Fawkes.

Who all is cooking? What are you making?
We are having tossed salad, turkey w/sage dressing, venison roast, butternut squash soup (request of guests - would have been a veggie otherwise), fresh-snapped green beans, scalloped corn, Helen Druth's cranberry sauce, regular cranberry sauce, yams with marshmallows, mashed potatoes & gravy, Gillum House Rolls, brown rice & wild rice pilaf, and pumpkin pies (I cooked the pumpkins a couple days ago). I roasted Kona Blend for the coffee. We are NOT getting into the 18th Century garb this year.
I have decided to set up a serving table in the dining room instead of trying to get everything on the table. Thankfully the venison and the soup will be in crock pots. I only have one oven and only 3 of my burners are functioning.
JB - the lady is originally from OZ. Is there a special dish that says - OZ?

We are having tossed salad, turkey w/sage dressing, venison roast, butternut squash soup (request of guests - would have been a veggie otherwise), fresh-snapped green beans, scalloped corn, Helen Druth's cranberry sauce, regular cranberry sauce, yams with marshmallows, mashed potatoes & gravy, Gillum House Rolls, brown rice & wild rice pilaf, and pumpkin pies (I cooked the pumpkins a couple days ago). I roasted Kona Blend for the coffee. We are NOT getting into the 18th Century garb this year.
I have decided to set up a serving table in the dining room instead of trying to get everything on the table. Thankfully the venison and the soup will be in crock pots. I only have one oven and only 3 of my burners are functioning.
JB - the lady is originally from OZ. Is there a special dish that says - OZ?.
Not cooking here. We are going out instead.

JB - the lady is originally from OZ. Is there a special dish that says - OZ?.
Not cooking here. We are going out instead.
Lucky duck! I always get stuck cooking.

Remember remember the 5th of November.
Don't worry, we too celebrate the end (not the attempted end) of tyranny reign in our country from that same control. You might be close to figuring out my front door code..."Give me liberty or give me death!"

Happy Thanksgiving to all... We all have so much to be thankful for. I too am thankful for this group - you are all wonderful.
No cooking here (well after breakfast for the guests) Going to a good friends - and I am so thankful!!!
Gobble, gobble all.

A Happy Turkey day to one and all. I am very thankful for my friends here! We did our big dinner Sunday. So today I made Turkey soup. Also baked an apple pie for my part of T'dinner at a friends house tomorrow. Good thing we didn't plan to drive home...predicting icy roads on the way there tomorrow:-( Hopefully we will make it for Christmas. Enjoy your day everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving! We are just so grateful to have friends support us on this forum, to be up and running, have insurance through my job, that I HAVE a job which allows us to expand, that guests continue booking to support us!!!
Riki

No cooking for me today...this time of year (hurricane season) is our down time and we usually mark off several weeks on our calendar to get some things done that take more than a day here and there. And this year since we were busy in October, we chose November as our down time. Today, after my morning coffee, I'm going to continue with the varnishing - dining table and six chairs. All those little slats in the chairs are a nightmare to varnish - takes an hour to lay one coat on one chair. I need to get six coats on. Do the math...it's a big job. The work just never stops....
Have a wonderful day everyone!

Happy Thankgiving everyone. Its just me and hubbie this thanksgiving, had a package but no one took us up on it. We bought a small turkey (16 lbs) cause a turkey breast is 1.99/lbs so we bought the turkey-we will freeze the leftover turkey!
Here is hoping all our forum friends, innkeepers and whomever lives this awsome lifestyle with all its ups, downs PITAs and wonderful guests to relax and have a blessed thanksgiving and that everyone knows that we innkeepers that live in the USA are thankful for our freedoms-its a unikley American tradition.
Canadians-Happy Boxing Day!

Finally getting to sit down! Dinner was great. Almost nothing left. The butternut squash soup was a hit. The guests were impressed that I would even ask and more impressed that I made it. They liked it. DH loved it. Guess what I will be making again. The good part is that it is made in the crock pot. Thre was good conversation flowing all through dinner and after. Our friends from PA, Reuben and the guests. He is originally from St Louis and she is from OZ. Too late, I remembered I should have taken pictures.
Unlike last year, I do NOT have to do this again Sunday since they chose to "join our frineds and us for dinner". I had everything on the tables (set up a side table for the soup, salad, and some of the side dishes) hot and ready to go by 1:15, 15 min behind planned time.

We are thakful for our American friends who filled our rooms tonight (during our slow season) thanks to their thanksgiving holiday.
Happy thanksgiving to all of you. Turkey dinner would be nice right about now.

Since it was Thanksgiving, I stayed off my computer yesterday. :)
I'm very thankful for all my forum friends here and the inn-mates that I've had the actually pleasure to meet in person!
heart.gif

It was just the two of us but I did the whole Turkey Day dinner - cooked a small fresh turkey, cornbread stuffing with sage sausage and apples and homemade gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato crunch, fresh green beans with mushrooms, cranberry jelly (my dh just loves the canned stuff!), fresh cranberries, rolls, and Pumpkin Chiffon Pie for dessert. I didn't do the baked macaroni and cheese since there were only two of us and there are still plenty of leftovers.
tounge_smile.gif

My dh had to work today and took leftovers for lunch!

We watched a movie as a fam yesterday and it was Close Encounters of the Third Kind, which said across the screen "MUNCIE INDIANA" Gee who know after watching that originally back in like 1978 I would have just been to Muncie! :)
Then to also see Richard Dreyfuss so young and tell the girls "He is DR Leo Marvin in What About Bob" which was filmed near us in 1986 or something, where he is much older and greyer/balder.

Back