Well I need some help on this one!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Well, this is a first for us. So I just received a call from a very upset gentlemen who said his card was charged yesterday. He wanted to know why it was charged and who was using it. I told him I would look into it. I gathered all his info and his wife's. He told me he thinks maybe his wife is cheating on him. He also told me not to call her because if she was cheating he wanted to be the one to tell her he found out. I told him I would look into it and get back. Well, his wife did make a reservation online yesterday for a weekend this month. The name on the reservation is not his but his card is the one being used. I have no idea where to go from here? Anyone have any thoughts on how to handle this?

I know I'm not suppose to give out info on guests reservations unless its to the person who made the reservation. That said, it's this guys card being used so they both have rights I would think. But I can't talk to either one about it. I have a feeling I'm going to be out the money on this reservation.

I know I'm not suppose to give out info on guests reservations unless its to the person who made the reservation. That said, it's this guys card being used so they both have rights I would think. But I can't talk to either one about it. I have a feeling I'm going to be out the money on this reservation..
Think... do you want to be involved in a court case?

I know I'm not suppose to give out info on guests reservations unless its to the person who made the reservation. That said, it's this guys card being used so they both have rights I would think. But I can't talk to either one about it. I have a feeling I'm going to be out the money on this reservation..
Oh my! I think you should get out of the middle of this...it’s not your problem, although you will most likely lose out. I would call the guy back and tell him that if he has concerns about the security of his credit card he should call the credit card company. You are not at liberty to confirm or deny any transactions to him since you can not verify his identity.

I am stumped. You cannot tell her the card was declined because it was not. You only have his word (a disembodied voice on the phone) that says he is her husband. Is there some way you can contact the credit card company to say you are no certain if the person using this card is authorized to use it?
Perhaps we are ALL jumping to conclusions. Perhaps she is just taking a weekend getaway alone. I used to go camping by myself to get away from house, kids, husband, & job.
I am going to leave what I wrote in the beginning although i am now rethinking this. IF she comes and she stays, he cannot dispute the charge because she stayed and obviously, has access to the card.IF he is going to use the stay against her, it HAS to be paid so at least you will not lose money. Go to bed and look at it as THEIR problem, which it is. You do not give out info on guests so you neither confirm nor deny her reservation or presence to him and say nothing to her other than welcome to our facility. However, document everything just in case.

Oh my! I think you should get out of the middle of this...it’s not your problem, although you will most likely lose out. I would call the guy back and tell him that if he has concerns about the security of his credit card he should call the credit card company. You are not at liberty to confirm or deny any transactions to him since you can not verify his identity.
Silverspoon said:
Yes. This one.

This is such a mess. I did contact the credit card company and they said "Because she is married she can use the card." That I can talk to either one of them. I don't trust that. So here is where im at. I called the guy back and told him that his card had been charged. I asked him if maybe a family member might of used the card or if maybe his wife had purchased a stay for someone? He said no. The gentleman asked if a certain name was on the reservation. (and it was) but I told him I could not tell any info about the reservation. The only thing I mentioned was that it was for a future date. He works out of state on weekends so I think he probably knows. I have a feeling im going to lose $400 coming up real soon. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges and he said not at this time. I do have a text I made him send me stating that. I still feel very uneasy and upset with this whole thing. I can't really tald to either one of them about it.

And, if she shows up, verify the card is in her name! How stupid can people be?
Also have her sign for the deposit charge as well.

This is such a mess. I did contact the credit card company and they said "Because she is married she can use the card." That I can talk to either one of them. I don't trust that. So here is where im at. I called the guy back and told him that his card had been charged. I asked him if maybe a family member might of used the card or if maybe his wife had purchased a stay for someone? He said no. The gentleman asked if a certain name was on the reservation. (and it was) but I told him I could not tell any info about the reservation. The only thing I mentioned was that it was for a future date. He works out of state on weekends so I think he probably knows. I have a feeling im going to lose $400 coming up real soon. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges and he said not at this time. I do have a text I made him send me stating that. I still feel very uneasy and upset with this whole thing. I can't really tald to either one of them about it..
Stop talking to everyone involved.
If she calls and wants to cancel, deal with it as usual.
Of course he's not going to dispute the charges, it's evidence!

This is such a mess. I did contact the credit card company and they said "Because she is married she can use the card." That I can talk to either one of them. I don't trust that. So here is where im at. I called the guy back and told him that his card had been charged. I asked him if maybe a family member might of used the card or if maybe his wife had purchased a stay for someone? He said no. The gentleman asked if a certain name was on the reservation. (and it was) but I told him I could not tell any info about the reservation. The only thing I mentioned was that it was for a future date. He works out of state on weekends so I think he probably knows. I have a feeling im going to lose $400 coming up real soon. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges and he said not at this time. I do have a text I made him send me stating that. I still feel very uneasy and upset with this whole thing. I can't really tald to either one of them about it..
Morticia said:
I have only talked with the card holder (husband) no info has been given. Just that his card was charged at our property. That’s all.I bet you are correct on the evidence idea. Never thought if that!

I think one concern I would have is security. You have a potential domestic security risk due to a suspicious husband who suspects his wife is cheating and now knows where she might be cheating! Hopefully he just wants the paper trail but he could also be wanting to show up and at best catch her in the act and at worse ...we’ll lets don’t go there.
$400 is tough to lose but I would consider canceling the reservation just to ensure you and your other guests stay safe and secure.

I tend to worry, and I like to sleep well. My thoughts are more like CindyLou. Personal problems of our guests are not our problem, but well, maybe no big deal if he uses the charge as evidence, but I'm not sure I'd sleep well wondering if an angry husband was going to show up on my property and cause an issue for all of my guests, I'd personally rather lose the money if that is an acceptable option. Don't know if there is a graceful way to contact the guest and say an issue has come up and we need to cancel this reservation without going into detail, or I'd likely contact my local law enforcement and give them a head up that an issue was concerning me.

Exactly. He didn't make the reservation. The only person you can talk to is the person on the reservation. And he isn't it.

Touchy situation to be in, because now you know! We may all have had these in the past but did not know so are blind.

I believe you have handled it right so far. And since you did not indulge the date of the stay, the Card Holder would need to do his own research to figure that out. If the reservation stays on the books and they show up, you may need to keep a watchful eye on your property.

OTOH, considering all the domestic violence in the news, you may want to do as CindyLou suggests and cancel the reservation. Say what ever needed - your reservation system malfunctioned and you overbooked, or sudden problems have caused you to need to remove the cabin from service to attend to urgent repairs. Let their problems continue to be their problems - somewhere else.

I don't know what to say or do about this situation but my hope is that you will know the right thing to do.

Lots of sensible suggestions here, except no one seems to have considered the idea that maybe the booking is completely innocent.
She could even be arranging a surprise weekend away for the both of them.
It seems pretty daft if you're having an affair to charge the room to your joint card, your husband is clearly going to see the charge on the statement.

Lots of sensible suggestions here, except no one seems to have considered the idea that maybe the booking is completely innocent.
It seems pretty daft if you're having an affair to charge the room to your joint card, your husband is clearly going to see the charge on the statement..
Highlands John said:
It seems pretty daft if you're having an affair to charge the room to your joint card, your husband is clearly going to see the charge on the statement.
People do some mighty foolish things when they are not using their heads! A couple years ago I ran into a young woman who was married here. I ask how married life had been for them (some 5 years). She informs me they were no longer married. He had cheated on her while being overseas during military training. - She volunteered that he had CHARGED his flings with a couple of 'ladies of the evening' and she was the one getting the bills. Note that from what I understand that profession is not against the law in that country and CC transactions are clearly marked.

It seems pretty daft if you're having an affair to charge the room to your joint card, your husband is clearly going to see the charge on the statement..
You would think so, this reservation gets more strange all the time. This lady doesn't seem to be the brightest. The reservation on the name is hers and and a different guy. The card holder called back a few days ago asking me the names on the reservation. I am taking the advice of everyone on here and telling him I could not tell him information about the reservation except his card was used. He asked me again if the name was _________ and it is. He guessed the name of the guy she is bringing. I again told him I couldn't tell him any names. So he knows who shes cheating with. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges again. He does not.

You would think so, this reservation gets more strange all the time. This lady doesn't seem to be the brightest. The reservation on the name is hers and and a different guy. The card holder called back a few days ago asking me the names on the reservation. I am taking the advice of everyone on here and telling him I could not tell him information about the reservation except his card was used. He asked me again if the name was _________ and it is. He guessed the name of the guy she is bringing. I again told him I couldn't tell him any names. So he knows who shes cheating with. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges again. He does not.
Sounds like you did the right think. In the UK I think you'd be in breach of data protection laws if you had told him anything else.

Sounds like you did the right think. In the UK I think you'd be in breach of data protection laws if you had told him anything else.
We'd be in breach of data protection laws if we told him ANYTHING at all. He isn't on the reservation, we can't talk to him.... even if it is his card.

Back