Well I need some help on this one!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a terrible situation to be in.
Maybe the explanation is even simpler: it's not that the lady is "not bright", but she simply wants to create sufficient motives for a divorce, and didn't have the heart to do it in a different way.

Lots of sensible suggestions here, except no one seems to have considered the idea that maybe the booking is completely innocent.
She could even be arranging a surprise weekend away for the both of them.
It seems pretty daft if you're having an affair to charge the room to your joint card, your husband is clearly going to see the charge on the statement..
You would think so, this reservation gets more strange all the time. This lady doesn't seem to be the brightest. The reservation on the name is hers and and a different guy. The card holder called back a few days ago asking me the names on the reservation. I am taking the advice of everyone on here and telling him I could not tell him information about the reservation except his card was used. He asked me again if the name was _________ and it is. He guessed the name of the guy she is bringing. I again told him I couldn't tell him any names. So he knows who shes cheating with. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges again. He does not.
Sounds like you did the right think. In the UK I think you'd be in breach of data protection laws if you had told him anything else.
We'd be in breach of data protection laws if we told him ANYTHING at all. He isn't on the reservation, we can't talk to him.... even if it is his card.
Yes, all I told him was that his card was used here. I told him if he wanted to dispute the charges he needed to contact his credit card company. Few more days until this all plays out. I think I might ask for a different card on arrival.

Lots of sensible suggestions here, except no one seems to have considered the idea that maybe the booking is completely innocent.
It seems pretty daft if you're having an affair to charge the room to your joint card, your husband is clearly going to see the charge on the statement..
You would think so, this reservation gets more strange all the time. This lady doesn't seem to be the brightest. The reservation on the name is hers and and a different guy. The card holder called back a few days ago asking me the names on the reservation. I am taking the advice of everyone on here and telling him I could not tell him information about the reservation except his card was used. He asked me again if the name was _________ and it is. He guessed the name of the guy she is bringing. I again told him I couldn't tell him any names. So he knows who shes cheating with. I asked him if he wanted to dispute the charges again. He does not.
Sounds like you did the right think. In the UK I think you'd be in breach of data protection laws if you had told him anything else.
We'd be in breach of data protection laws if we told him ANYTHING at all. He isn't on the reservation, we can't talk to him.... even if it is his card.
Yes, all I told him was that his card was used here. I told him if he wanted to dispute the charges he needed to contact his credit card company. Few more days until this all plays out. I think I might ask for a different card on arrival.
Hillbilly said:
Was his name listed on the credit card line of the reservation? Or, her name? If her name, his card was not used, her card was.
Stop saying it was his card if her name is on the credit card info.

Hillbilly said:
Was his name listed on the credit card line of the reservation? Or, her name? If her name, his card was not used, her card was.
Morticia said:
Hillbilly said:
It’s his name on the card. Not hers. The credit card report has his name on the card. She used his card to make the reservation. Credit card company did say if they are married that is legal to do. Even with just his name on the card.

Hillbilly said:
Morticia said:
Hillbilly said:
It’s his name on the card. Not hers. The credit card report has his name on the card. She used his card to make the reservation. Credit card company did say if they are married that is legal to do. Even with just his name on the card.
Well, that's pretty stupid on her part to use a card that isn't even in her own name.
Unless, as was mentioned, she's trying to get divorced!

Hey Hillbilly -- wondering what happened?.
Well it was interesting... I found out the card was used in a joint account so she was in her rights to use it. (Not the smartest thing) The lady was in her early 20’s. They checked in and acted like honeymooners. Everything went really great until checkout. She had made reservations online but I wanted to get a signature anyway. I normally do this upon arrival but I waited until their departure day. I had a reason for this. I didn’t want any issues while they were here. So departure day I printed off a credit card slip and while I was delivering breakfast I asked her about the name on the original card. It was her husbands name and because they had the same last name I thought I would use this line. Here is how the conversation went down. “Good morning! We hope you two had a great time! I see you had placed the deposit on Mr. _____card. Is this your fathers card? Would you like the balance placed on that card or will you be using a different card?” The look on her face was shocking. She said, “No that’s not my dads. Wait, did you charge that card already?” I told her “No, when you made the reservation you allowed the system to charge that card for the deposit a month ago “ she was panicking... she then told me it won’t make any difference is and that I can charge the card for the remainder.I had her sign the slip and that was it. I can assure you as soon as I charged that card her husband knew. I’m sure it was a fun ride home for her.
I hope that never happens again.

Well it was interesting... I found out the card was used in a joint account so she was in her rights to use it. (Not the smartest thing) The lady was in her early 20’s. They checked in and acted like honeymooners. Everything went really great until checkout. She had made reservations online but I wanted to get a signature anyway. I normally do this upon arrival but I waited until their departure day. I had a reason for this. I didn’t want any issues while they were here. So departure day I printed off a credit card slip and while I was delivering breakfast I asked her about the name on the original card. It was her husbands name and because they had the same last name I thought I would use this line. Here is how the conversation went down. “Good morning! We hope you two had a great time! I see you had placed the deposit on Mr. _____card. Is this your fathers card? Would you like the balance placed on that card or will you be using a different card?” The look on her face was shocking. She said, “No that’s not my dads. Wait, did you charge that card already?” I told her “No, when you made the reservation you allowed the system to charge that card for the deposit a month ago “ she was panicking... she then told me it won’t make any difference is and that I can charge the card for the remainder.I had her sign the slip and that was it. I can assure you as soon as I charged that card her husband knew. I’m sure it was a fun ride home for her.
I'm still confused. The card is a joint account but she put her husband's name on the reservation in the spot where it asks for the name on the card?

I'm still confused. The card is a joint account but she put her husband's name on the reservation in the spot where it asks for the name on the card?
Morticia said:
I understand it to be - she used a joint card to make the reservation without realizing the deposit was going to be charged THEN, planning to use a different card or cash on arrival. When he said the deposit was taken when the reservation was made, she realized the jig was up so may as well charge that card. She now has some time to concoct a story of who she was NOT with - either alone or a girlfriend getaway.

Morticia said:
I understand it to be - she used a joint card to make the reservation without realizing the deposit was going to be charged THEN, planning to use a different card or cash on arrival. When he said the deposit was taken when the reservation was made, she realized the jig was up so may as well charge that card. She now has some time to concoct a story of who she was NOT with - either alone or a girlfriend getaway.
gillumhouse said:
Morticia said:
If hillbilly asked her if it was her dad's card, and used her husband's name when asking, she must have been stupid enough to put her husband's name in where it asks for the name on the credit card. To me that means she's looking for a divorce!

Sounds like you were wise as a serpent and harmless as a dove... Now she has to face the facts of her actions...

Thanks for the update!

Morticia said:
No, she put the guys name that she’s cheating with on the reservation . She then charged it to her husband.

Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
Morticia said:
If hillbilly asked her if it was her dad's card, and used her husband's name when asking, she must have been stupid enough to put her husband's name in where it asks for the name on the credit card. To me that means she's looking for a divorce!
Morticia said:
gillumhouse said:
Morticia said:
One would think so. But she used her boyfriends name.

Morticia said:
No, she put the guys name that she’s cheating with on the reservation . She then charged it to her husband.
Hillbilly said:
Morticia said:
Ok. You only knew the husband's name because he called. So, you tipped her off the game was over. She had time to come up with an excuse, or not to go home at all.
Makes for an interesting story. I'm going to file this one away in case I need a plot twist for my book. ;-)

Morticia said:
Hillbilly said:
Morticia said:
Ok. You only knew the husband's name because he called. So, you tipped her off the game was over. She had time to come up with an excuse, or not to go home at all.
Makes for an interesting story. I'm going to file this one away in case I need a plot twist for my book. ;-)
Morticia said:
Hillbilly said:
Morticia said:
And the chapter title "Oh what a tangled web"

Back