Well it finally happened

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Not since the advent of our website in 1999 have we had anyone saying "we made a mistake, this is not what we want, my wife wanted something much more luxurious and beautiful, can I have my money back?" All the while all other cottages are occupied with people who are singing our praises out loud and often, they are enjoying the front lawn, the back forty and the walk to our amazing beach, blah
This woman, let's call her "Mrs Fooffooffnick", isn't happy. I sent "Mr. Fooffooffnick" away and told him that he had agreed to our cancelation policy and that he would not get even the second and last night's money back.
I hated putting my foot down, but hey, that was stupid. Don't I have enough pictures on my site that conveys what we have here?
Thanks for letting me vent. I will have some dandelion tea and close the office for tonight

You have got to be kidding me! Your website is completely easy to understand what you have. Did they leave or decide to stay?

Hi Iris! So sorry this happened. I know if feels like someone just stabbed you in the heart because with us it IS personal.
This was the first time I looked at your site and yes, I believe your photos show exactly what to expect when you arrive at the cottages. If I recall in another thread you indicated you had not claimed your TA listing, but given this matter I would keep a close watch for a review by these folks, and if they do be prepared to claim it and write a mgr response.
BTW, just looking at the cottages I was reminded of my childhood summers spent at Houghton Lake with my extended family. Special memories, lots of smiles. I am sure your cottages create special memories as well. Too BAD for The Fooffooffnicks, they missed out!

Yes, your website photos make it very clear. But it may be a case where the guy made the reservation and the wife never visited the website. (You'd think he'd know by now to make sure she makes all the decisions!)
Another problem is that some people find us through sources other than our own websites, and never really study things in advance. I got a call from a guy today who found a description of my place somewhere and was calling to see if the beds were double, queen, or king, and said he was looking for a place cheaper than the local Days Inn.
I explained that my rates are about double theirs, and mine's probably not what he's looking for if he just wants a room with a bed. A visit to my website would have made that clear to him, but he'd never been to the website.

@ Arkensawyer - He said that he made the reservation to surprise his wife. He was on the website, he made the ressie online. You would think that he knows his wife a little better, lol. I was just a little taken aback when he said that she would like to stay at a more beautiful place. That's why I stood my ground. Had he said something a little less biting, I would have given him slack.
@ copperhead- Thank you for your kind words. I didn't know that you are a Michigander. Is your place in Michigan?
oh and I am going to look out for a bad review.
@ Madeleine - No, they are here. I guess if they can't get their $ 70 back, they won't be able to afford another lodging
wink_smile.gif

I will make my morning rounds tomorrow, greeting all the guests, have chats and the Fooffooffnicks will be included in that. I am going to act as though nothing happened. It's now a challenge

@ Arkensawyer - He said that he made the reservation to surprise his wife. He was on the website, he made the ressie online. You would think that he knows his wife a little better, lol. I was just a little taken aback when he said that she would like to stay at a more beautiful place. That's why I stood my ground. Had he said something a little less biting, I would have given him slack.
@ copperhead- Thank you for your kind words. I didn't know that you are a Michigander. Is your place in Michigan?
@ Madeleine - No, they are here. I guess if they can't get their $ 70 back, they won't be able to afford another lodging
wink_smile.gif

I will make my morning rounds tomorrow, greeting all the guests, have chats and the Fooffooffnicks will be included in that. I am going to act as though nothing happened. It's now a challenge.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
I will make my morning rounds tomorrow, greeting all the guests, have chats and the Fooffooffnicks will be included in that. I am going to act as though nothing happened. It's now a challenge.
That's the spirit! Great attitude!

"Rustic elegance" I saw that on a website on the sidebar of this forum.
We are here for ya, we feel your pain. I had that and the husband followed around behind the wife as she rampaged and then said "We can't stay" and I felt like we were chopped liver or something. Then very next night guests who cannot believe how wonderful it is. grrrr...
Isn't it great that you don't have this very often! You have great people, so rejoice in those folks...the baddies will be gone soon!

where is the website? I checked your profile and don't see it.
People ask for the world. They will take what they get.
My first weekend (4 days ago), the 17 year old girl seemed a little queezy. (Hungover, I believe.) We had put out a coffee cake, wheat bread for toast, two kinds of English Muffins, Cheerios, two kinds of yogurt and two kinds of fruit. Oj, milk, peanut butter, jelly, butter, cinnamon and sugar. Not good enough. She wanted white bread. I simply said, we don't have any. I didn't even worry about it.

My first weekend (4 days ago), the 17 year old girl seemed a little queezy. (Hungover, I believe.) We had put out a coffee cake, wheat bread for toast, two kinds of English Muffins, Cheerios, two kinds of yogurt and two kinds of fruit. Oj, milk, peanut butter, jelly, butter, cinnamon and sugar. Not good enough. She wanted white bread. I simply said, we don't have any. I didn't even worry about it..
Keep up that attitude. It can only make your life more pleasant.
When we first started out, stupid me would have bent over backwards and baked a dang loaf of white. Also, I want to say, I am thinking about coming to get some of your breakfast just as soon as I am done with the biggest loser, hehe

"Rustic elegance" I saw that on a website on the sidebar of this forum.
We are here for ya, we feel your pain. I had that and the husband followed around behind the wife as she rampaged and then said "We can't stay" and I felt like we were chopped liver or something. Then very next night guests who cannot believe how wonderful it is. grrrr...
Isn't it great that you don't have this very often! You have great people, so rejoice in those folks...the baddies will be gone soon!.
I knew I would find some friendly ears here and yes, it is great that this is a rarity for us.
I also don't blame people for not being our type. This place is a state of mind, just like your wonderful Inns. Just don't come here if you need room service and a butler to stand by.
The amazing thing is that the Fooffooffnicks are still in their cottage - of course with the windows and doors tightly closed. One would think they'd try to not be here any longer than necessary, lol.
Alright, I am over this. Let's all have a great day.

My first weekend (4 days ago), the 17 year old girl seemed a little queezy. (Hungover, I believe.) We had put out a coffee cake, wheat bread for toast, two kinds of English Muffins, Cheerios, two kinds of yogurt and two kinds of fruit. Oj, milk, peanut butter, jelly, butter, cinnamon and sugar. Not good enough. She wanted white bread. I simply said, we don't have any. I didn't even worry about it..
TheBeachHouse said:
www.wayfarerlodgings.com
regular_smile.gif

Your site is better than mine ! ... I bet they went to a tacky motel and paid more. Just move on & :) :) lots . An educated consumer is a happy guest . There are lots of people who do not value money( or how they spend it) at all , then at the last minute " Oh this isn't what I wanted ". Its their fault not yours.

When we first started out, stupid me would have bent over backwards and baked a dang loaf of white. Also, I want to say, I am thinking about coming to get some of your breakfast just as soon as I am done with the biggest loser, hehe
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Too much??? Are we trying to please all the people all the time? I noticed that the toast didn't really go. This week, it will be coffee cake and scones. Plus, I'm going to try my hand at home baking. Wish me luck.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Too much??? Are we trying to please all the people all the time? I noticed that the toast didn't really go. This week, it will be coffee cake and scones. Plus, I'm going to try my hand at home baking. Wish me luck.
TheBeachHouse said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
What you may find is that there is a certain contingent that does expect you to cater to their whims. Even tho we serve a full, plated breakfast here we will have guests who say, 'I can't have that, make me eggs.' I generally say I have to check with the cook as he may have already used all the eggs...
People do think we have a big kitchen somewhere else where we can just go pull more food out. Nope, that little fridge is it.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
TheBeachHouse said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
What you may find is that there is a certain contingent that does expect you to cater to their whims. Even tho we serve a full, plated breakfast here we will have guests who say, 'I can't have that, make me eggs.' I generally say I have to check with the cook as he may have already used all the eggs...
People do think we have a big kitchen somewhere else where we can just go pull more food out. Nope, that little fridge is it.
Madeleine said:
TheBeachHouse said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
This morning I was told "I only eat small portions"...and you didn't tell me before now because?

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
TheBeachHouse said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
I've always made sure I don't run out. In my family, there is never 'not enough!' So we have to learn to gage requirements vs the look of plenty.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
It's a lot that you have put out. But hey, I am not a good judge on things like that. I have only spent 2 nights in a really cute B &B in Fort Bragg, Ca. I can't remember the name of it but their breakfast was much smaller. You have to do what you think you would expect were you the guest. Go with your gut.
You'll do great. Here is some luck for ya

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
TheBeachHouse said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
I've always made sure I don't run out. In my family, there is never 'not enough!' So we have to learn to gage requirements vs the look of plenty.
TheBeachHouse said:
It's a subtle way of saying, 'We didn't plan to make eggs for ANYONE, including YOU.' As in, that's NOT what's for breakfast but if you're going to be a colossal jerk I'll go check to see if we can accommodate something you didn't tell us about. But without all that drama! ;-)

wink_smile.gif

You would think that he knows his wife a little better, lol.
Perhaps he doesn't know her better. She may have just become his "wife" this week. The interesting part of it is if she IS his "wife" this week, will she still be next week. Trial run???

Welcome to the "you're not what I thought" club! Holy cow, the guy pays $70 and thinks it's going to be much more luxurious? Gimme a break.
Your place is wonderful and this couple are jerks.
Onward and upward...you've got other wonderful guests singing your praise!

Back