Well, that just stinks! I need some advice please.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
I have a guest who accidently spilled her bottle of l'eau d'issey perfume on the bed spread in her room. A lovely scent in moderation, but a bottle will leave you gagging. I am in the office and my eyes are still burning. I don't care too much about the bed spread as its lived a full and useful life but my word.....
How can I get the smell out of the room? Its overwhelming!

I have often heard these work pretty well...ionizers
Usually, I have stripped the room completely and left the windows open, but the scent does linger for awhile.

Usually, I have stripped the room completely and left the windows open, but the scent does linger for awhile..
Morticia said:
Usually, I have stripped the room completely and left the windows open, but the scent does linger for awhile.
Thanks for that, but anything a bit more immediate? I have guests coming into that room and a full house with no other rooms available. Somewhere I heard about a pan of vinegar and onions....or something like that?

Perfumes other than the alcohol are largely oil based so get some detergent on it and into the wash ASAP. The rest of it is all airing out the room. Sorry.

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but can you turn the central A/C on, if you have it? Keep the air circulating. Or just turn the "fan only" portion on? Also, portable fans in the room?

we use febreeze (not sure if you spell it quite like that) you spray it on and it is unscented and it pretty much gets any smell out we use it for smokers and it shifts that.

Usually, I have stripped the room completely and left the windows open, but the scent does linger for awhile..
Morticia said:
Thanks for that, but anything a bit more immediate? I have guests coming into that room and a full house with no other rooms available. Somewhere I heard about a pan of vinegar and onions....or something like that?
I have used real vanilla extract in dishes placed around the room. When we had the weekend "the cork came out" (b-i-l with cancer given dose/another dose/then double dose of a laxative) several dishes of vanilla helped get the house devoid of the "house behind the house" aroma.

Back