We're back! Employed!! And scared half silly!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ServingSouthernComfort

Reaction score
Well, we have returned from our week long interview in Montana! whew! And as I told you I would do, I am reporting back about our experience thus far. It was not easy; really about as stressful as it gets. Were we absolutely crazy to think this was going to be a barrel of fun or just naive? Probably a bit of both =) The owner/innkeepers we very gracious and kind, excellent host and hostess, warm and hospitable, professional. They tried to make it a good experience for us - but spending an entire week living with potential employers was uncomfortable to say the least. D kept reminding me that the assignment was to simply be ourselves and that anything short of that could constitute manipulation on our part - but c'mon - who would not worry and want to put on their absolute best in these circumstances? I am sure they were feeling the same bit of uneasiness. Afterall, we were both trying to win favor with the other. We spent most of the time shadowing them and learning what we could. 5 long days later they made us an offer and we accepted - I suppose about 3 days in we all knew we would do so, but it became official on Sunday. We then had a couple of days to simply enjoy the beauty this incredible place had to offer - and work our butts off =)
Montana is breathtaking. The horizon here at dusk must be where that line "for purple mountain majesties" in America the Beautiful comes from. I don't think I have ever taken in such a amazing sunrise or sunset. The inn is lovely. Really quite spectacular in itself. It is in need of some TLC as the owner/innkeepers have had their hands full with the unforeseen health issues with a small child this last year; thus making it a long difficult season for them. But, overall the place was exactly as they had presented it to us in our initial phone interviews. I think I may have understated its size when I was telling y'all about it last month - the overall square footage is more than most - and this is probably my biggest concern. No major repairs - in fact very minor stuff is needed - faucet handle, light bulb replacement, etc. The money is in the budget for what we need. They have one major capital improvement - replacing 4000 sq foot of deck - that is being contracted out before the new season begins. That should be fun to oversee - umph!
So we are leaving on our 2100 mile journey on the 27th. We have a list of things that need to be done - but where, oh where to begin? It is pretty much a seasonal inn, and high-season ended mid-September. Some stragglers here and there are to be expected between now and the beginning of May. So, we have the long cold winter to make it our own, learn all we can, do some housekeeping stuff necessary for us to be ready. We both have lists of what we know we need to work on.
I am already feeling a bit overwhelmed - probably scared if I am completely honest with you. I am not sure I know where to start first.
Glad y'all are here and that I found ya!

cheers.gif
What Great News..you know were behind you in spirit, you'll do a fine job. I like your entry, reminds me of when I was young and out West. Hear from you soon.

Go West young man, and young woman!
All the best in your new adventure.

Sounds fantastic! A big change like this is bound to have good and bad. Whether one is bigger, is detemined more by attitiude then reality. So good luck!

I suggest NOT watching The Shining during the long, cold, empty winter months. Just gear up for spring and hope for the best.

Congrats!!! Montana is beautiful. Winter is going to be interesting but will bring another kind of beauty.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!-now the adventure begins but at least you had a little taste of Innkeeping life and more to come. Being yourselves was the best you can do and more than likely you and the owners put your best forward!
We are also headed for our new assignment in NJ- we are leaving the Delta in AR that has two springs a long fall and very short and mild winters to the snows and winds and cold of NJ-but its a new experience and we are looking very much forward to it. We are taking a little vaca (if you can call it that) on the way there visinting family and gathering some stuff at the house in WV-it will be nice to be back in our hills.
Have champagne and toast yourselves for a job well done-now for the hard part of Innkeeping.
cheers.gif

Good Luck to you! Montana is a beautiful location....and hopefully you won't be too snow bound this winter. Learn to ski:)

How wonderful! Congrats on your new life! Starting in the off season will be really great for you. It's so much easier to make a slow transition into the busy season. It builds up your endurance. The slow season will also give you an opportunity to brainstorm and think of all the wonderful things you can do in the future to help the b&b.
Keep us posted along the way.
cheers.gif

Back