We're good, we have GPS

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Yes, you have GPS. But does it know that road is closed to repair a water main?
Why not listen to the innkeeper who just took that road today? And who forgot about the road closure 2 weeks ago and had to drive an extra 6 miles around the block.
Then again, why bother? Eventually the GPS will reroute them.

This is such a frustrating issue! Had a guest 2 days ago who was arguing with me about how to get here. Was pretty defensive when I asked a couple questions about where she was RIGHT NOW. I told her not to drive to the town that our address says is our town. We are not near it. She says, oh, the gps told me not to go there, but I didn't believe it. Sheesh, this was a rare time that gps would have taken her straight to us.
I guess we don't really know where we live and they know better.

The all mighty GPS!

We tell people not to go to the town either, no they don't listen. There are different GPS programing set ups and if it is set up to go to the town THEN route to the street, there is no way to convince them otherwise.
We had someone recently tell us we were on located on our street. Hmmmm! Really.

So turned out they were on another road that was partially the name of ours but not ours and no where near our road. Roads around here are named after the people that owned the land either now or in the past. link John Smith Road, Tedd Smith Street or Johnny Smithe Street. All different, not near each other. Confusing - Listen to your innkeeper!

GPS brings our guests down a dirt road through the woods. I laugh. If they looked at the map, or the directions on our website, they would have known.

I get, "The GPS told me to turn right." BUT in MY directions I told them to turn LEFT onto Walnut. I get calls - I can't find you. Where are your now? and then bring them in. The GPS brings them to within 1 block of me but takes them to upper Walnut instead of lower Walnut. At least it does not take them to Walnut Hill....that is across the river and a narrow corkscrew street.

We have two small villages known collectively as The Twin Villages. Each village a street of the same name and each street has a B&B on it. I'm sure you can extrapolate the various scenarios.

Which is why I like Waze, because when there is a problem you can actually go to the website that make changes that will help others.
Then again, there is so much construction in the city that if you don't use an interactive GPS you are SOL.

For some reason that escapes me our postcode / zipcode is for a group of houses on the other side of the road, down the road about 200 yards away, we're the only house on this side with that code. So they follow the GPS and it says "you've arrived" and then they phone me!!
The other issue is that when you approach from the south on the main trunk road most GPSs tell you to take a certain road because the GPS assumes you can do 50pmh down that road as that is the speed limit. The reality is that it's a single track road with passing spaces that winds for miles over the hills and takes considerably longer than the next turning off the trunk road which is the city bypass.
It says this on the confirmation and on the directions page of our website....... do they read it........I'm sure you know the answer to that question!!!

For some reason that escapes me our postcode / zipcode is for a group of houses on the other side of the road, down the road about 200 yards away, we're the only house on this side with that code. So they follow the GPS and it says "you've arrived" and then they phone me!!
The other issue is that when you approach from the south on the main trunk road most GPSs tell you to take a certain road because the GPS assumes you can do 50pmh down that road as that is the speed limit. The reality is that it's a single track road with passing spaces that winds for miles over the hills and takes considerably longer than the next turning off the trunk road which is the city bypass.
It says this on the confirmation and on the directions page of our website....... do they read it........I'm sure you know the answer to that question!!!.
Have you checked what the Waze Livemap Says? Because if you Login, you can check the directions and such and update it. At least for the Waze people :)

I have a young honeymoon couple here and the groom did a 'dry run' about a month ago and drove out here so that he knew where to go after their ceremony. He called me and he was scared we were a scam, because he used his gps and we weren't where it said we should be! This kid never looked out of his car window!!! He drove right past us, then continued around a curve where gps told him we were and it's just forest. Then he drove home back home 2 hours!
I had to assure him that he did come down the right road and we were before the curve in the road.
OK people....be sure to look out your side windows!

I have a young honeymoon couple here and the groom did a 'dry run' about a month ago and drove out here so that he knew where to go after their ceremony. He called me and he was scared we were a scam, because he used his gps and we weren't where it said we should be! This kid never looked out of his car window!!! He drove right past us, then continued around a curve where gps told him we were and it's just forest. Then he drove home back home 2 hours!
I had to assure him that he did come down the right road and we were before the curve in the road.
OK people....be sure to look out your side windows!.
Breakfast Diva said:
I have a young honeymoon couple here and the groom did a 'dry run' about a month ago and drove out here so that he knew where to go after their ceremony. <--- what a smart idea! He was really using his head there!
He called me and he was scared we were a scam, because he used his gps and we weren't where it said we should be! This kid never looked out of his car window!!! <---- doh!!!

Breakfast Diva said:
Then again maybe not!
wink_smile.gif
The canned Sally or Simon says something like 'you are arriving at.....' a few hundred yards prior to the real destination. This happens to be at a very bad timing when approaching my B&B. I have had the same conversation as yours BD, but with mine they are looking out their window too early and see (in the less foliage months) a big double wide. The conversation is 'you are very misleading, your place is NOT what it appears on your site.' Me: 1) are you on Copperhead Way? 2) you are not quite here, come on down a bit, I see your car - see me waving?
Before I started going out for these callers, I had one caller REFUSE to come down further and left.

Breakfast Diva said:
Then again maybe not!
wink_smile.gif
The canned Sally or Simon says something like 'you are arriving at.....' a few hundred yards prior to the real destination. This happens to be at a very bad timing when approaching my B&B. I have had the same conversation as yours BD, but with mine they are looking out their window too early and see (in the less foliage months) a big double wide. The conversation is 'you are very misleading, your place is NOT what it appears on your site.' Me: 1) are you on Copperhead Way? 2) you are not quite here, come on down a bit, I see your car - see me waving?
Before I started going out for these callers, I had one caller REFUSE to come down further and left.
Copperhead said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Then again maybe not!
wink_smile.gif
It's so frustrating, isn't it CH? No cell service here, so typically they drive 10 minutes back to town to use their cell phone. Yeah, we just love these stressed out folks checking in!

Perhaps we should put a disclaimer on our directions. I admit I am not a GPS, but I DO live here and manage to find my way home because I know the roads to my house.

When I was out your way in April I wondered, too. We drove thru what I thought was your town and could not figure out where you might be!
Wish we had had time to stop but I would have had to call for directions to be sure!

When I was out your way in April I wondered, too. We drove thru what I thought was your town and could not figure out where you might be!
Wish we had had time to stop but I would have had to call for directions to be sure!
Madeleine said:
It's a marketing nightmare for sure! In their confirmation letter we tell them in big bold print "DO NOT DRIVE TO THE TOWN OF BD, we are closer to (another town)"
The tiny town you drove through on the main road is about 20 minutes from us. It's because of that town's rural postal that we have them as our address. Most gps units do find us ok, but when folks don't read our confirmation or website, they head to that little town and are very confused!

Madeleine said:
It's a marketing nightmare for sure! In their confirmation letter we tell them in big bold print "DO NOT DRIVE TO THE TOWN OF BD, we are closer to (another town)"
The tiny town you drove through on the main road is about 20 minutes from us. It's because of that town's rural postal that we have them as our address. Most gps units do find us ok, but when folks don't read our confirmation or website, they head to that little town and are very confused!
Breakfast Diva said:
Madeleine said:
BD - SAME here! We say 'turn AWAY from the town' - we are rural too and got stuck with the smaller town when doing the zip code. GPS will find us if people put in the right info, most put the city to our south (more known suburb) and wonder why it won't find our street. - SIGH!

We have two adjacent towns with the same name (more or less), and between them there are three roads with the same name (more or less) and we are on one of those roads. Guests who are not aware of the subtle distinctions can (and have) inadvertently mis-program their GPS and end up on a whole different peninsula than the one we are on.
Guests who do program their GPS corrently often get routed to us via what we think of as the "back way" (although it actually is more direct), and thus arrive having driven miles and miles of rural backroads thinking we are out in the middle of nowhere, having missed the town just a mile or two away that has a major chain supermarket, 40+ restaurants, several big hotels, numerous B&B's and Inns, tons of shops, and loads of tourists (in season)....

I am located on a one way street. The directions on the website and in the email clearly state this. But they pay no attention to my directions, I mean..why should they? GPS will tell them. So when I hear multiple horns honking, I always know it's a check in that drove past the inn, and flipped a u-turn to come back, and are now facing two lanes of traffic coming right at them. Some then even leave their car parked, facing the wrong way, and come to the door. Uh...if you don't want a ticket, you might want to turn your car around.

Sigh...common sense. It's just gone.

We have two adjacent towns with the same name (more or less), and between them there are three roads with the same name (more or less) and we are on one of those roads. Guests who are not aware of the subtle distinctions can (and have) inadvertently mis-program their GPS and end up on a whole different peninsula than the one we are on.
Guests who do program their GPS corrently often get routed to us via what we think of as the "back way" (although it actually is more direct), and thus arrive having driven miles and miles of rural backroads thinking we are out in the middle of nowhere, having missed the town just a mile or two away that has a major chain supermarket, 40+ restaurants, several big hotels, numerous B&B's and Inns, tons of shops, and loads of tourists (in season).....
There's a back way in? I have to go look at the map again!

Back