We're Leaving Tomorrow... NOT!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Generic

Reaction score
Trying to catch the guest on their way out to settle the bill, etc... and they say "we can take care of it tomorrow, when we check out."
Uhm... no... you aren't booked in here tonight!

Today is tomorrow here in Canada. So your total is....!
wink_smile.gif
(It might work at a bustling hotel with different workers but a B&B... Nope!)

I had one a couple of weeks ago who, 3 days in a row, contacted me right before check out time and said, "I want to stay one more day."
I was fine with it the first two days. Happy to have the business. But the third time, I told her no, even though the room was vacant that night. I'd had enough of the uncertainty, and had already rescheduled the housekeeper twice about cleaning that room.
Sometimes we're just too independent for our own good, but I don't like uncertainty!

I had one a couple of weeks ago who, 3 days in a row, contacted me right before check out time and said, "I want to stay one more day."
I was fine with it the first two days. Happy to have the business. But the third time, I told her no, even though the room was vacant that night. I'd had enough of the uncertainty, and had already rescheduled the housekeeper twice about cleaning that room.
Sometimes we're just too independent for our own good, but I don't like uncertainty!.
We've had guests say they'll let us know in the afternoon if they want another night. Um, that's a little late.

I suppose I have it easier since we don't sell anything extra to the cost of the room, but when a guest arrives they pay and then get the room key, no checkout needed, as a hotel guest I always hated standing in line a second time. As to an additional night, it's yours when you have paid, until then it's up for grabs. I like people and it know it is just how I am, but I probably wouldn't sleep worrying about when someone was going to settle up.

I suppose I have it easier since we don't sell anything extra to the cost of the room, but when a guest arrives they pay and then get the room key, no checkout needed, as a hotel guest I always hated standing in line a second time. As to an additional night, it's yours when you have paid, until then it's up for grabs. I like people and it know it is just how I am, but I probably wouldn't sleep worrying about when someone was going to settle up..
We also do 'pay at the door' for the same reason. Originally, it was because our credit card machine was so noisy it was disruptive during breakfast.
Even with Square I don't have time to go get the Square, the paperwork, etc while trying to serve breakfast. Easier for us this way. And, we're all about easier for us!

I suppose I have it easier since we don't sell anything extra to the cost of the room, but when a guest arrives they pay and then get the room key, no checkout needed, as a hotel guest I always hated standing in line a second time. As to an additional night, it's yours when you have paid, until then it's up for grabs. I like people and it know it is just how I am, but I probably wouldn't sleep worrying about when someone was going to settle up..
We also do 'pay at the door' for the same reason. Originally, it was because our credit card machine was so noisy it was disruptive during breakfast.
Even with Square I don't have time to go get the Square, the paperwork, etc while trying to serve breakfast. Easier for us this way. And, we're all about easier for us!
We try to, but it depend on arrival time, self check-in, etc. But even if they had, I bet they would have tried it anyway.

We try to, but it depend on arrival time, self check-in, etc. But even if they had, I bet they would have tried it anyway.
You just get that vibe about some folks that makes us uneasy.
We do have those few that I have left a key hidden for a late hour check-in, usually a repeat guest or multi day person, but with the instruction, come see me before you head out in the morning to officially sign in.

Your post made me curious, do you keep credit card information (in a PCI compliant format of course) in the event charges need to be applied after the fact?

Your post made me curious, do you keep credit card information (in a PCI compliant format of course) in the event charges need to be applied after the fact?.
Yes, but you do realize that you don't legally have a right to charge a guest's credit card after the fact, according to the terms and conditions of the CC processing companies. MC, V and AX all specifically forbid you from charging a guest without explicit permission. It's in the manual.

Your post made me curious, do you keep credit card information (in a PCI compliant format of course) in the event charges need to be applied after the fact?.
Yes, but you do realize that you don't legally have a right to charge a guest's credit card after the fact, according to the terms and conditions of the CC processing companies. MC, V and AX all specifically forbid you from charging a guest without explicit permission. It's in the manual.
If money's owed for services rendered and provided such language is included in your payment guarantee/statement, charges can be assessed post-departure. In fact most every hotel in the world keeps payment details securely "on file" in case of theft, damage or folio charges that weren't assessed when a guest is on-property, i.e., if it's found a guest was smoking in a room, a fee will typically be assessed after the fact, once housekeeping discovers it. Happens all the time, and yes, it's completely legal to keep payment information provided it's in a compliant format.

Interesting... did not know this.

Another reason to take payment at check in. BUT I don't think they are speaking about charges for services rendered on a reservation which was made, and agreed.

Another reason to take payment at check in. BUT I don't think they are speaking about charges for services rendered on a reservation which was made, and agreed.
Copperhead said:

I'd say it's wise for innkeepers to include in their reservation policy something like "By making a reservation with us, the guest agrees that we reserve the right to make a charge to the guest’s credit card for any damages to our property caused by the guest".

If money's owed for services rendered and provided such language is included in your payment guarantee/statement, charges can be assessed post-departure. In fact most every hotel in the world keeps payment details securely "on file" in case of theft, damage or folio charges that weren't assessed when a guest is on-property, i.e., if it's found a guest was smoking in a room, a fee will typically be assessed after the fact, once housekeeping discovers it. Happens all the time, and yes, it's completely legal to keep payment information provided it's in a compliant format.
cloudbedsna said:
However, a guest chargeback will have the money right back out of the B&B account as you cannot charge for damages without a guest signature. And, if the guest has a good enough story, tough on the hotel collecting the damages. Check the data in the credit card agreement. Perhaps different in the UK than in the US.

What some people will try!.
Morticia said:
What some people will try!
Totally agree! I've worked at some of the country's "first class" resorts and it always amazed me what my guests would try -- and oftentimes get away with (oh, and steal: furniture from a luxury suite? artwork that wasn't fastened down? one-of-a kind patio cushions? yes indeed, all of it and more).
omg_smile.gif

I'm rarely surprised any more what people will try, though reading through some of the posts here have certainly raised my eyebrows more than once!

Copperhead said:

I'd say it's wise for innkeepers to include in their reservation policy something like "By making a reservation with us, the guest agrees that we reserve the right to make a charge to the guest’s credit card for any damages to our property caused by the guest".
You can write anything you want... but your merchant agreement says otherwise.

Read your merchant agreement. It specifically says that you can't. Doesn't matter what you write on the bill, contract, etc. Your merchant agreement says that you can't bill a client without permission.
I know hotels and B&Bs do it all the time... but it's forbidden and specifically laid out in your merchant agreement and you will LOSE the chargeback... 100% of the time.

Copperhead, you are correct, you can charge what was agreed for the reservation. What the merchant agreement doesn't allow is to charge for damages on the card.

What you need to do is discuss with the client and get them to agree to the charges, generally to avoid prosecution. "You did $500 worth of damage to the room, can we process this on your credit card, or would you prefer we call the police?"

Read your merchant agreement. It specifically says that you can't. Doesn't matter what you write on the bill, contract, etc. Your merchant agreement says that you can't bill a client without permission.
I know hotels and B&Bs do it all the time... but it's forbidden and specifically laid out in your merchant agreement and you will LOSE the chargeback... 100% of the time.
Generic said:
Truthfully never put it to the test, but registration sheet has the line above the signature that that says " I accept that my credit card may be charged $XX" for violating smoking or pets, etc., so yes I do have their signature giving permission, of course correct credit card folks don't back up the merchant, but for most it does help act as a deterrent

Back