Were you in the room when you made your reservation?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proud Texan

Reaction score
Holy smokes. Just had our guest confirmed for tomorrow night call and say "Hi, this is XXXXX we're on our way." What?
I told them they weren't scheduled to arrive until tomorrow night and he proceeded to argue with me that I was mistaken. I asked him if he had his confirmation with him to which he answered "yes". I then asked him to read his date of arrival. "Oh....ummm, it was supposed to be for tonight." Lucky for him we had an opening, but gee whiz. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
To top it off, he was asking directions. I asked, "Did you not receive the directions that were sent with your confirmation (that you did not read you idiot)?" No..ummm, I guess we didn't print those out. We got a GPS" I explained to him that we have a problem with GPS systems in our county and gave him instructions on how he might find us using his GPS. He couldn't work his GPS. Somebody save me.
On the plus side, he has to pay a higher rate because it's Saturday night. DW is unhappy because it screws up her menu for in the morning.

Same exact thing happened last night! Fully booked, and yesterday morning one of our queen rooms calls, they have to cancel because their son is sick. Ok, we open it up online but we didn't get any calls so it's open.
We get everyone else in yesterday afternoon, kicking back with a glass of wine and starting to cook dinner when the doorbell rings...couple who had reservations for Saturday/Sunday nights showed up on Friday. They were completely nonplussed about it, just stood there looking at us, "I guess we made a mistake". Luckily we had the other room open (same size/rate they had booked) so it all worked out. THEN we resold their original room for Sat/Sun nights as well this morning.
So we came out ahead, but with a lot of juggling.
And no, they don't read a word...hope your wife was able to figure out the brekkie situation...

Proud Texan said:
To top it off, he was asking directions. I asked, "Did you not receive the directions that were sent with your confirmation (that you did not read you idiot)?" No..ummm, I guess we didn't print those out. We got a GPS" I explained to him that we have a problem with GPS systems in our county and gave him instructions on how he might find us using his GPS. He couldn't work his GPS. Somebody save me.
On the plus side, he has to pay a higher rate because it's Saturday night. DW is unhappy because it screws up her menu for in the morning.
I'll go find the websites again for calculating your GPS coordinates because it pinpointed ours to a very fine degree.
I've wasted so many hours with so many obstinate, and directionally challenged guests who refuse to heed our advice and the directions we provide.
I have now put it on the written directions and map that every guest receives even if they book online and only get an email confirmation.
The satsig site will let me fiddle with the real fine degrees while showing you how its moving back and forth. I set ours for right in front of our entrance.
These are two sites that will do it.
http://www.multimap.com/maps/
http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm

Same exact thing happened last night! Fully booked, and yesterday morning one of our queen rooms calls, they have to cancel because their son is sick. Ok, we open it up online but we didn't get any calls so it's open.
We get everyone else in yesterday afternoon, kicking back with a glass of wine and starting to cook dinner when the doorbell rings...couple who had reservations for Saturday/Sunday nights showed up on Friday. They were completely nonplussed about it, just stood there looking at us, "I guess we made a mistake". Luckily we had the other room open (same size/rate they had booked) so it all worked out. THEN we resold their original room for Sat/Sun nights as well this morning.
So we came out ahead, but with a lot of juggling.
And no, they don't read a word...hope your wife was able to figure out the brekkie situation....
InnsiderInfo said:
And no, they don't read a word...hope your wife was able to figure out the brekkie situation...
Everyone's getting a slightly smaller portion of the planned menu. It's still enough because we overfeed our guests. Hmmmm....maybe that should be our slogan. "We Overfeed Our Guests"

Proud Texan said:
I'll go find the websites again for calculating your GPS coordinates because it pinpointed ours to a very fine degree.
I've wasted so many hours with so many obstinate, and directionally challenged guests who refuse to heed our advice and the directions we provide.
I have now put it on the written directions and map that every guest receives even if they book online and only get an email confirmation.
The satsig site will let me fiddle with the real fine degrees while showing you how its moving back and forth. I set ours for right in front of our entrance.
http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Proud Texan said:
Tim, that's the whole point. The GPS coordinates are specified IN THE DIRECTIONS. I have a Garmin GPS and took them myself.

Proud Texan said:
http://www.satsig.net/maps/lat-long-finder.htm.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Proud Texan said:
Tim, that's the whole point. The GPS coordinates are specified IN THE DIRECTIONS. I have a Garmin GPS and took them myself.
The GPS coordinates are specified IN THE DIRECTIONS. I have a Garmin GPS and took them myself
I think there are 2 problems:
1) People don't read.
2) The ones that do read form a very small poplulation of people who know how to enter coordinates on their GPS. The software has made it too easy to just punch in an address and go. Its works as long as the address is mapped out correctly in the first place.

Back