West Coast B&Bing.....what's it like?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newinnlove

Reaction score
We are considering running a B&B on the west coast. We want to be near a coast, and many of you have been a great help about New England. We are thinking of Port Townsend or Port Angeles WA. Like that they are on the coase, easy access to Victoria, and get less rain than Seattle. Would also consider BC. Loved Victoria and Vancouver when I was there. Those of you who are out there, what do you see as the pros and cons? Thanks!

I'm not there, so can't help you on what it's like there.
But I can tell you this: Live where you love to live!!!! (It will make you a better innkeeper, and you'll be happier even though you're working so hard.)
=)
Kk.

Our dear friend is here from the Gig Harbor Peninsula in WA State right now!
Pt Townsend does not fare well for B&B's. We had an owner on the old forum for quite a while and could not sell her B&B. All the historic B&B's there were shutting down. NOT very many there now compared to just a couple years ago. Sequim in the Dungeness Valley is the same. VERY NICE location - B&B's not making ends meet.
Would you be building a new structure? Otherwise it is very costly. Just like the San Juan Islands - to buy a turnkey or to renovate into a B&B is big bucks. Seasonality wise in Seattle area is difficult, unless you are in an area to accept BUSINESS guests. There must be a draw for the location in the Pac NW. The way I see it, everyone has mountain and Puget Sound views so why would they pay to stay someplace for the same thing? Unless you are close to recreation or something to draw them to you. I lived there 11 years and went to a B&B on Whidbey Island...lovely, but more of what we already had around us. If you want seasonal - the HOOD CANAL is very popular destination.
My 2 cents. :)

Yes Ginocat does!!
regular_smile.gif
What's not to like about the west coast?? Fabulous way of living. Just make sure you pick a holiday/tourist destination. Contact the Chamber of Commerce for areas you might be interested in settling and get statistics on # of bb's/accommodations, numbers of visitors, etc. Check out the restaurants and tourism facilities available.
I'm in Tofino by Pacific Rim National Park. The area is also a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve. There's another community at the other end of our penninsula only 35 miles away but they are not near as busy as we are. Tofino has wonderful restaurants that stay open year round for one thing. The other community does not have great restaurants and most things close up for the winter. These are some of the things you need to check out.

JBJ, what a happy coincidence! Hope you are enjoying your time with your friends.
We are looking to buy an existing turnkey business. Haven't seen a a lot on the market out there. Nothing that interests us anyway (at least in our price range!) Good point about the views being available all over the area, so why go the Port Townsend? I live on the East coast and if I were to travel to WA, I would be inclined to go to Seattle and jump off from there. I have been trying to look for an area and imagine what other people might be interested in. Might be better to just stick with what I know, which is where I would want to go, rather than trying to guess what others might want. Seattle is a possibility, but pricey and with small lots. We do have two dogs and I don't plan on giving dogs up anytime soon!
Ginocat, your place looks lovely! We are looking for 5 rooms though. That feels like a number that we could handle ourselves yet big enough to support itself and hopefully turn a bit of a profit.
So far it seems like we are really going to have to compromise on our wish list, or at least reprioritize. Guess I want it all...
confused_smile.gif

Port Angeles: Too far from Seattle (3 to 4 hours, depending on ferries) for many daily commuters. Heavy retirement area. Nice jumping off point for Victoria. (but people also travel there by air and passenger boat from Seattle - quicker) The town itself is not really a tourist destination, although handy for Olympic Nat'l Park, and close to beaches. Clallam County seat.
Port Townsend: Victorian Seaport. Many B&Bs. (currently over 20) Charming, walkable waterfront. Popular weekend destination. (2 to 3 hours from Seattle, depending on ferries) Commutable, so higher property values. A tourist destination. Jefferson County seat. Heaven if you are a boat owner. Double heaven if you are a dedicated wooden boat owner.
In Washington State, v e r y relaxed rules if only a two room B&B. Yearly State accomodation license, ADA rules kick in above 2 rooms. State of Washington rules are online. Specific requirements: building and health rules vary widely by county. Jefferson becoming more urban-like with regs, don't know about Clallam. (We settled in Wahkiakum County, SW corner of the state, very off-the-beaten-path)
-Kathleen M.

JBJ, what a happy coincidence! Hope you are enjoying your time with your friends.
We are looking to buy an existing turnkey business. Haven't seen a a lot on the market out there. Nothing that interests us anyway (at least in our price range!) Good point about the views being available all over the area, so why go the Port Townsend? I live on the East coast and if I were to travel to WA, I would be inclined to go to Seattle and jump off from there. I have been trying to look for an area and imagine what other people might be interested in. Might be better to just stick with what I know, which is where I would want to go, rather than trying to guess what others might want. Seattle is a possibility, but pricey and with small lots. We do have two dogs and I don't plan on giving dogs up anytime soon!
Ginocat, your place looks lovely! We are looking for 5 rooms though. That feels like a number that we could handle ourselves yet big enough to support itself and hopefully turn a bit of a profit.
So far it seems like we are really going to have to compromise on our wish list, or at least reprioritize. Guess I want it all...
confused_smile.gif
Oops I posted twice sorry - ignore this

confused_smile.gif
ignore this too

Back