We've opened............

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brookfield

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been reading this forum for the past several weeks as we prepared to open our B&B and wanted to say thank you to all for the ideas and also the advice on reservation software (we ended up with Rezovation and love it so far). We've been open for just a few weeks now and have been busy from the start . We wanted to start slow to get our feet wet but so far we've had guests during the week and on weekends so we're learning fast! One thing we've experienced I'd like to hear your thoughts on. We hosted a four day workshop for a local non-profit and one guest was not comfortable with the quirky way the bathroom door next to the meeting room worked ( it does close but it sticks and doesn't close far enough to be able to use the lock). We're fixing that by planing the door this week. Anyhow my question is when a guest kicks a door multiple time each day...would anyone say something to him or just grin and bear it (being new to this game we did the latter). Thanks for the advice! -M

We refuse to plane our doors anymore. A couple of them will stick a bit when we have really damp weather, despite the HVAC system going. If the door is sticking when I check folks in, I just make some kind of comment about being patient with sticking doors because it's an old house. No one has been kicking them...yet though.
Congrats on your success right out of the chute!! May you have nothing but wonderful guests!
regular_smile.gif

If there's a "trick" to opening the door, I'd show the guest. We have one that sticks a little in the winter... you need to press down on the handle while opening. Otherwise, not much you can do, is there?
Congratulations on the opening!!!
=)
Kk.

Anyhow my question is when a guest kicks a door multiple time each day...would anyone say something to him or just grin and bear it (being new to this game we did the latter). Thanks for the advice! -M
Look at you! Guest stories already. I love it!
Congrats on your opening - may your table be filled with laughter and much conversation.

welcome.gif

Congrats on your opening!
Personal opinion on a bathroom door that doesn't close far enough to lock it? Fix it NOW. Especially as this seems to be a 'guest' bath for the meeting room. VERY uncomfortable to be in there during a meeting never knowing who will open the door on you. I don't think I would have kicked the door, but I certainly would have complained to you.

We have a room that some guests SLAM every single time. It is not a door that slams, it is a door that closes easily, but for some reason some people just do this. I say "a room" as I hear it down here whenever a slammer is in the house.

i agree, see to the door asap. you said you are already. we have a door like that ... old house, nothing is plumb, nothing. ended up planing the bottom of a door and then putting a door sweep along the bottom like you use on an exterior door. and that foam tape stuff along the side of the door. keeps it quieter.
congratulations and hope you do well!

Congrats to opening busy! That is wonderful. Enough others advised on the door problem.

welcome.gif

Congrats on your opening and your success! DH and I had to learn under fire when we first took over as well, believe me it can be a bit hairy but it's definitely the FASTEST way to learn the ropes! Keep your smile and keep coming here for those times you have to vent!

Congratulations!!! I'd fix the door. That way, you don't have to worry about the issue again. You'll have plenty on your plate to worry about...a fixable door doesn't need to be one of them!

Best Wishes on your successful opening. Most of us have to wait a bit to be overwhelmed. :cool:

Best Wishes on your successful opening. Most of us have to wait a bit to be overwhelmed. :cool:.
Thanks everyone. Door is fixed! We're located in Central MA and have a house full again this week. We don't expect this level of activity to continue during the winter...but of course it would be great if it did!

Back