What’s Being Done to Stop Fake Reviews & How to Find Verified Reviews

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
What’s Being Done to Stop Fake Reviews & How to Find Verified Reviews: Last week, Yelp filed a lawsuit that ha...click here (feel free to leave comments on the article by Peter Greenberg)

Interesting. I think it's pretty sloppy on ta's side to have someone post 100 reviews for hotels in a single brand and for them not to spot it. And I say that from an IT professional point of view. I think that's indicative of tas disregard for the accommodation provider, certainly in the past although this is improving.
I also think it's not a bad thing for a hotel to bring a lawsuit against someone who's made a damaging accusation, there's far too much anonymity without accountability on the internet generally. Maybe more of this would make people think twice before posting damaging reviews or exaggerated / inaccurate facts. I'm sure I've mentioned before a friend with a holiday let who had a review saying they'd been bitten by bbs which later turned out to be a tick bite.
I don't think much of the time ta would even be able to trace the person that left a review if you were to start a libel action, never mind verify it's accuracy. I'm sure the ta lawyers have looked into this thoroughly, but it seems to me that if you post a defamatory review on your website then at least some of the responsibility for that must come back to the website owner, especially if you have no way of tracing the person that wrote the review. If I wrote a slanderous note about someone, gave it to the local pub landlord and he posted it up on the pub noticeboard I don't think many would accept the landlords excuse that he just put it on the wall, he didn't write it.

Interesting. I think it's pretty sloppy on ta's side to have someone post 100 reviews for hotels in a single brand and for them not to spot it. And I say that from an IT professional point of view. I think that's indicative of tas disregard for the accommodation provider, certainly in the past although this is improving.
I also think it's not a bad thing for a hotel to bring a lawsuit against someone who's made a damaging accusation, there's far too much anonymity without accountability on the internet generally. Maybe more of this would make people think twice before posting damaging reviews or exaggerated / inaccurate facts. I'm sure I've mentioned before a friend with a holiday let who had a review saying they'd been bitten by bbs which later turned out to be a tick bite.
I don't think much of the time ta would even be able to trace the person that left a review if you were to start a libel action, never mind verify it's accuracy. I'm sure the ta lawyers have looked into this thoroughly, but it seems to me that if you post a defamatory review on your website then at least some of the responsibility for that must come back to the website owner, especially if you have no way of tracing the person that wrote the review. If I wrote a slanderous note about someone, gave it to the local pub landlord and he posted it up on the pub noticeboard I don't think many would accept the landlords excuse that he just put it on the wall, he didn't write it..
He posted positive for his brand but neutral or bad for others.
By protecting people from libel, TA is proving that the reviews aren't worth the virtual website they are posted on. People should be ready to stand up for what they are saying.
And frankly the whiny reviews should go. You know the saying, "The Customer Is Always Right" was meant to imply that the customer should always get exactly what they contracted for. That doesn't mean that you get caviar if you ordered roe and then complain about it. It means that if you ordered roe, you should get roe and it should be done the way it should be done. If you make an error and you wanted caviar and you want me to correct it, then you should be adult enough to say so, ask me to correct it and if I can't resell the roe you ordered, pay for it.

Obviously it is not specific to this industry or TA, you can read reviews about pretty much anything.
The last couple of years have started off very dry, fire bans and fires elsewhere. People see this reported and do not understand that for example where I am no problem, still hurts my business. Ignorance is bliss.
In Colorado we currently have flooding, less than 1% of the State, but i am sure that is not how many people see it.
I liked the story about Oscars in Grimsby. allegedly awesome fish restaurant on a converted trawler. Turned out to be a total fake. Done just to show the weakness of TA's system.
In the end TA will lose credibility in the market if they do not address it. Somebody else will take over with a stronger model.

In the end TA will lose credibility in the market if they do not address it. Somebody else will take over with a stronger model.
True, I see already advertising (BDC) to say they have "verified" reviews...

I think the PAID business listings hurt TA credibility. If only the public knew.... But that is just my not important opinion.

Obviously it is not specific to this industry or TA, you can read reviews about pretty much anything.
The last couple of years have started off very dry, fire bans and fires elsewhere. People see this reported and do not understand that for example where I am no problem, still hurts my business. Ignorance is bliss.
In Colorado we currently have flooding, less than 1% of the State, but i am sure that is not how many people see it.
I liked the story about Oscars in Grimsby. allegedly awesome fish restaurant on a converted trawler. Turned out to be a total fake. Done just to show the weakness of TA's system.
In the end TA will lose credibility in the market if they do not address it. Somebody else will take over with a stronger model..
Como Depot said:
Boy can I relate CD. Of course this is much broader than TA or other review sites; people just do not take the time to find out the truths about what they are being told, whether it be review sites or general media... Right now most think CO is entirely flooded - so avoid CO! SORRY!

With TA I can go and post a review about any property I want. I believe there are people out there that have a hidden identity. I feel they enjoy the thought of picking properties apart. Not mentioning issues with innkeepers do the innkeepers have the oppratunity to help or fix the problem. I think they like using that info to create a story and posting it because it makes them feel powerful. They think they have a fan base or a following for their reviews. You can view these people by the amount of reviews they write. It's kinda a hobby for them. I would hate to be so envolved in my hobby that I am always anelizing every place I go. Thinking of my next story ( review ) to write. Maybe im crazy for thinking this way. I know most reviews are probably true, but a lot of them are stretching the stories to make them look good as a reviewer and what they feel will sound good as a reader. For this reason I really do not trust a review that is not verified.

With TA I can go and post a review about any property I want. I believe there are people out there that have a hidden identity. I feel they enjoy the thought of picking properties apart. Not mentioning issues with innkeepers do the innkeepers have the oppratunity to help or fix the problem. I think they like using that info to create a story and posting it because it makes them feel powerful. They think they have a fan base or a following for their reviews. You can view these people by the amount of reviews they write. It's kinda a hobby for them. I would hate to be so envolved in my hobby that I am always anelizing every place I go. Thinking of my next story ( review ) to write. Maybe im crazy for thinking this way. I know most reviews are probably true, but a lot of them are stretching the stories to make them look good as a reviewer and what they feel will sound good as a reader. For this reason I really do not trust a review that is not verified..
they did a tv program in the UK where they got weird people who review literally everything and interviewed them, some they took back to places they had stayed. One chap throughout his entire stay had a notebook and wrote everything down and photographed everything and then wrote a whole report for trip advi ser - his stance was the public should know what places are like in detail so they can make a decision (personally I feel his notation that he ended up with two teaspoons with his afternoon tea is a bit ridiculous) a lot of these TA people actually believe they are providing a vital service.

With TA I can go and post a review about any property I want. I believe there are people out there that have a hidden identity. I feel they enjoy the thought of picking properties apart. Not mentioning issues with innkeepers do the innkeepers have the oppratunity to help or fix the problem. I think they like using that info to create a story and posting it because it makes them feel powerful. They think they have a fan base or a following for their reviews. You can view these people by the amount of reviews they write. It's kinda a hobby for them. I would hate to be so envolved in my hobby that I am always anelizing every place I go. Thinking of my next story ( review ) to write. Maybe im crazy for thinking this way. I know most reviews are probably true, but a lot of them are stretching the stories to make them look good as a reviewer and what they feel will sound good as a reader. For this reason I really do not trust a review that is not verified..
I think you're right Bob. I had a guest who actually told me how many people had read her reviews! She was so proud, she made it sound as if she was a published author!
I've got one review that was written like it's a book review. Stated how far attractions were, and his distances were severely off. He was so full of himself!
For some people, it's their claim to fame. Sad.

they did a tv program in the UK where they got weird people who review literally everything and interviewed them, some they took back to places they had stayed. One chap throughout his entire stay had a notebook and wrote everything down and photographed everything and then wrote a whole report for trip advi ser - his stance was the public should know what places are like in detail so they can make a decision (personally I feel his notation that he ended up with two teaspoons with his afternoon tea is a bit ridiculous) a lot of these TA people actually believe they are providing a vital service.
Wasn't he the guy who put a pen mark on the sheets to see if they were changed after one night. He then complained that they should have been changed because he had a skin condition, even though he didn't tell the hotel this.

Wasn't he the guy who put a pen mark on the sheets to see if they were changed after one night. He then complained that they should have been changed because he had a skin condition, even though he didn't tell the hotel this.
exactly - on check in they said as I am sure we all do, is "if there is anything else you need please let us know" that's the point to let people know that you have a skin condition that requires sheets changing every day - but he didn't

Back