What’s wrong with this picture?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Phone call, “hi, I just finished making a reservation on my tablet through b,,king dot com and wanted to call and make sure it went through.”

We actually have a litany of emails that go out to them when we get the reservation. The first is an email saying that BK and X both use an email relay system and that we cannot guarantee the delivery of our emails. They are welcome to contact us directly via a link to give us their direct email if they want us to send them email directly.

The second is a confirmation showing our reservation number and BK/X's reservation number as well as information reminding them that they cannot contact us for CS, they need to contact BK/X for customer service as they own the reservation and changes can only be made by them.

Sort of my way of telling them what they did and the repercussions of it. So when they come back and ask me something... I can point out that I'm limited in what I can do for them... the request has to come via the people who own the reservation. (In my case, about 90% of the reservations are paid by BK/X directly, so I can't help them with modifications.

The more I know about those booking sites the more I am happy with our decision to not use them. We have direct website booking (we use Resnexus), google direct (free) and over the phone and that is it. We used to do a Groupon or Living Social or Travel Zoo promo every year but those days are long gone. We are busier than ever and there is no need to "discount" our way into an early grave. That said, we have 2 rate seasons, winter and summer. Our rates are the same 7 days a week and on holidays - no higher weekend rates or minimum number of nights. The only discounting we do is on weekdays (Sun - Thurs). Military or Senior is 15% and our Weekday Special is 2 consecutive nights or more in the same room (Sun-Thurs) 25% off. It is not automatic - they have to ask for it based on finding it on our website. I have been known to possibly coach someone making a reservation to do some browsing in the hope that they might find it. Honestly, a little customer service goes a long way to creating a lasting bond with guests and happy guests tell everyone they know about us!

The more I know about those booking sites the more I am happy with our decision to not use them. We have direct website booking (we use Resnexus), google direct (free) and over the phone and that is it. We used to do a Groupon or Living Social or Travel Zoo promo every year but those days are long gone. We are busier than ever and there is no need to "discount" our way into an early grave. That said, we have 2 rate seasons, winter and summer. Our rates are the same 7 days a week and on holidays - no higher weekend rates or minimum number of nights. The only discounting we do is on weekdays (Sun - Thurs). Military or Senior is 15% and our Weekday Special is 2 consecutive nights or more in the same room (Sun-Thurs) 25% off. It is not automatic - they have to ask for it based on finding it on our website. I have been known to possibly coach someone making a reservation to do some browsing in the hope that they might find it. Honestly, a little customer service goes a long way to creating a lasting bond with guests and happy guests tell everyone they know about us!

Have you listed with B & Bs For Vets? www.bandbsforvets.org

Last edited:
Back