What’s your plan for reopening?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're "open" in Oregon, but with very little actual business -- people who have to travel, not for fun, that's sure. Single men, out-of-area health care workers.
We too are leaving at least a full day before housekeeping, serving plated breakfast (usually do anyway) either one at a time or with spaced tables (we always serve on 5 separate 2-tops, so that's easy), mask, sanitized salt and pepper heat sealed in sandwich baggies. For check in I meet guest in parking and use the guest-only entrance to show to rooms -- don't need to go near kitchen or family side of house. DW never even sees them.
County is opening up a bit, but I don't expect to see a lot of tourism this summer -- not enough to cover the cancellations for weddings and even September college football games that are already coming in. I am projecting revenue under $7K for the remainder of the year. Economically there's no point in running this show, except we live here and have no place to go!
The weather has been nice and I'm on track with garden and land management (5 acres) chores for once even though not hiring outside labor. I exercise, sleep in when I want, wife is reasonably companionable. I should be happy and I guess I am except that for my whole life, since age 15, I've worked to accomplish some goal and now as I'm fixing up the place, making improvements, I wonder why? Who all is this for? Happy guests are an innkeeper's standard goal and … where are they?

Has anyone ever done breakfast meal prep? That's my plan. Even if I have to figure it all on my own. Meal prep plates for guest's breakfast. Tell me what time, it's ready. You can decide if you want to eat it at the table or you want to take it to the room. And I'm closing down 2 of the room, so each room has private bath, one ensuite and the other detached. But I'm going to get it from some of my regulars, because one of the rooms I'm closing down is the one with the private balcony. If they call or email, I'll make it available for them instead of the larger room.... or make the larger room available and let them use the balcony gratis.
So, any ideas on breakfast meal prep? Plastic or glass? One part containers? Three part? What works? What doesn't? Do you make a menu and let them choose from the menu?.
I think, given we are not going to be allowed 100% occupancy that a menu might be a good option. It could be the way to practice this at a time that guests will hopefully understand it’s all new to us.
i can’t see the need for disposables as we’re going to have to touch everything anyway. I have a bunch of serving trays to haul the plates around on. We won’t offer anything that doesn’t already fit in the plate.
That's why I was thinking meal prep plates. They aren't disposable. They come in glass or plastic, but reusable. Things like... https://buythiscookthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Breakfast-Meal-Prep-4.jpg or http://www.peanutbutterandfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/bento-breakfast-prep2.jpg
The containers come in single compartment, 2 compartment or 3 compartment. And the come with covers. I could prepare the cold stuff and add the hot stuff in time for them to pick it up. Add cut fruit in one part, different choices. I can even make my egg bites (which incidentally, since they are pasturized stay a LONG time in the fridge, fresh.)
Condiments plan?
I may have to go out to the restaurant supply store for packets of things, which I normally hate. Not sure what I will do about jam, since I'm known for my own jam. I might just have to switch to packet jam for the moment.
Coffee, likely going to either a thermos or better yet, to a French press that they plunge themselves and then into the dishwasher.

Has anyone ever done breakfast meal prep? That's my plan. Even if I have to figure it all on my own. Meal prep plates for guest's breakfast. Tell me what time, it's ready. You can decide if you want to eat it at the table or you want to take it to the room. And I'm closing down 2 of the room, so each room has private bath, one ensuite and the other detached. But I'm going to get it from some of my regulars, because one of the rooms I'm closing down is the one with the private balcony. If they call or email, I'll make it available for them instead of the larger room.... or make the larger room available and let them use the balcony gratis.
So, any ideas on breakfast meal prep? Plastic or glass? One part containers? Three part? What works? What doesn't? Do you make a menu and let them choose from the menu?.
I think, given we are not going to be allowed 100% occupancy that a menu might be a good option. It could be the way to practice this at a time that guests will hopefully understand it’s all new to us.
i can’t see the need for disposables as we’re going to have to touch everything anyway. I have a bunch of serving trays to haul the plates around on. We won’t offer anything that doesn’t already fit in the plate.
That's why I was thinking meal prep plates. They aren't disposable. They come in glass or plastic, but reusable. Things like... https://buythiscookthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Breakfast-Meal-Prep-4.jpg or http://www.peanutbutterandfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/bento-breakfast-prep2.jpg
The containers come in single compartment, 2 compartment or 3 compartment. And the come with covers. I could prepare the cold stuff and add the hot stuff in time for them to pick it up. Add cut fruit in one part, different choices. I can even make my egg bites (which incidentally, since they are pasturized stay a LONG time in the fridge, fresh.)
Condiments plan?
I may have to go out to the restaurant supply store for packets of things, which I normally hate. Not sure what I will do about jam, since I'm known for my own jam. I might just have to switch to packet jam for the moment.
Coffee, likely going to either a thermos or better yet, to a French press that they plunge themselves and then into the dishwasher.
I tried to find salt and pepper packs today. Sold out.

Condiments plan?
I tried to find salt and pepper packs today. Sold out.
I saw some on AZ... but there are restaurant supply stores around here. I will likely need individual creamers, jam and peanut butter packets. Otherwise I'm going to put it on an order list and put them in small ramekins and toss out more. I hate all that packaging. This isn't really great for the environment.
I really miss the old MILK for coffee containers. Do you remember when they were made out of paper and shaped sort of like a pyramid? It was all recyclable.

I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to major hotel chains and changes they are making because of the Covid.
Here are just a few of the main things they are starting to go by.
1) No guests contact. Check in/out is done all online or by phone.
2) No in room housekeeping. They will delivery supplies.
3) Many are closing each room down for 3 days between guests stays. This means that if you have a one night stay, you would have to block the room for 3 days prior and 3 days after.
4) No breakfast bars anymore. Boxed meals ready to go.
5) No more coffee stations.
6) As many non reusable items as possible.
7) No more comforters. They are switching to Duvet type covers.
These are just a few things.One thing I was shocked about was, not lowering their prices. I'm thankful for that!
Guests will have increased sense of awareness of cleanliness. They want to feel its safe and will most likely book with businesses that they feel have some of these new policies in place. This is going to be a rough ride for awhile!

I have been doing a lot of reading in regards to major hotel chains and changes they are making because of the Covid.
3) Many are closing each room down for 3 days between guests stays. This means that if you have a one night stay, you would have to block the room for 3 days prior and 3 days after.
These are just a few things.One thing I was shocked about was, not lowering their prices. I'm thankful for that!
Guests will have increased sense of awareness of cleanliness. They want to feel its safe and will most likely book with businesses that they feel have some of these new policies in place. This is going to be a rough ride for awhile!.
I have yet to be asked about what I am doing to "keep guess safe". So far all have just asked - do you have a room available _____

Guests will have increased sense of awareness of cleanliness. They want to feel its safe and will most likely book with businesses that they feel have some of these new policies in place. This is going to be a rough ride for awhile!.
We have lowered prices even tho we have to invest in a lot of new items - multiple new covers for the beds, additional outdoor seating, face masks, gloves, disposable napkins, single serve salt and pepper, extra cleaning supplies.
Our state has no restrictions on blocking off rooms or reducing occupancy. We don’t think we can handle 100% occupancy when guests cannot mingle and we have to wash every piece of bedding after every guest.
Breakfast here is supposed to be grab and go. We will follow the restaurant guidelines for seating and cleaning. No cereal bar, no milk in the fridge, no Keurig for late night coffee. Everything will have to be served to the guests by us.
So, I am turning guests away when we reach occupancy of four rooms. I’m blocking a single night around each reservation. We’re only allowing one room booked per floor.
If business starts to pick up, I’ll raise prices.
Likewise here, no one has asked about cleaning.

Back