What’s your plan for reopening?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hillbilly

Reaction score
Just wanted to see how everyone was doing and to find out what your plan is for reopening? Are you opening back up the same or changing things up?

We plan on opening back up in June with weekends only.(This will give us a few days to let the room air out before getting it ready again) Breakfast will be delivered to their rooms and room tides will be supplies only. We will not be going into the rooms to do them. We will provide towels and supplies as needed. We have cabins so we are a little different than traditional B and B’s. We are having a really hard time finding cleaning supplies and supplies in general. I’m not sure how all these businesses are going to open up and properly clean. Anyone have a source for cleaning supplies?

I have been closed only by lack of business. I had a 1 nighter last week and I have a man coming in for 2-nights tomorrow. I am doing what I always did except no hugging or handshakes - out of deference to them not because I am afraid. I am not. Prudence is one thing, but I refuse to be controlled by fear.
I already have everything I need but I would just be going to my local stores for supplies.

We’re waiting for recommendations from the state. It appears we will be limited on the number of guests on any given day. If they say no dining in, we will do room service. If dining in is ok, but with distancing, we’ll set up times for guests to arrive and depart from the dining room.
Cleaning supplies are a problem. We had to buy toilet paper from Staples! Our usual supplier is not delivering to my state.
Our overall thought tho, is to move to whole house rental and not see the guests at all.

We were lucky enough to get the PPP, so we'll stay open until mid June. I talked with our bank and they bumped our mortgage for two months. We'll reevaluate at that point.
Demand-wise, it's been dead.

For the good of the housekeepers I've been blocking off 3 nights after someone leaves, to let viruses die. They really appreciate it, and didn't seem to want to go in sooner than that.
But of course that means I also have to block 3 nights BEFORE an arrival so I don't risk back-to-back reservations that don't get the full rest period between them.
So, for instance, if someone books a Thursday night, I'm blocking off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday around it. So 7 nights for a 1-night stay!
This hasn't been a problem since business has been practically zero the last few weeks. It's starting to pick back up now, so the extra days lost will start to be a problem.
I'm wondering if there's not some sort of "bomb" I could set off in the room when someone leaves that would fumigate the room so it's OK for the housekeepers to go in the following day. Something like the bug bombs, but for viruses. Anyone heard of anything like that?

For the good of the housekeepers I've been blocking off 3 nights after someone leaves, to let viruses die. They really appreciate it, and didn't seem to want to go in sooner than that.
But of course that means I also have to block 3 nights BEFORE an arrival so I don't risk back-to-back reservations that don't get the full rest period between them.
So, for instance, if someone books a Thursday night, I'm blocking off Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday around it. So 7 nights for a 1-night stay!
This hasn't been a problem since business has been practically zero the last few weeks. It's starting to pick back up now, so the extra days lost will start to be a problem.
I'm wondering if there's not some sort of "bomb" I could set off in the room when someone leaves that would fumigate the room so it's OK for the housekeepers to go in the following day. Something like the bug bombs, but for viruses. Anyone heard of anything like that?.
Open the windows! Fresh air helps.

I'm wondering if there's not some sort of "bomb" I could set off in the room when someone leaves that would fumigate the room so it's OK for the housekeepers to go in the following day. Something like the bug bombs, but for viruses. Anyone heard of anything like that?.
Arks that kinda what our plan is as well. I did some research and supposedly ozone machines kill the virus. We have one and plan on using it as well.

Our plans just got pushed out by at least a month. Waiting to see what you all come up with! We can’t take tourists until at least June, and possibly July.

We are switching from buffet to plated breakfast. We are asking for times so we can seat far apart. We will not refresh rooms. We will have pretty masks for sale and will require masks in the common areas. We have a hand sanitizing station at the front door.
We bought coffee machines for all the rooms.
We aren’t doing the three day close before and after but will keep an eye on guidelines as they come out. My current understanding is that the virus doesn’t live more than three hours on surfaces. So, no early checkins, no rushed cleaning.

We are switching from buffet to plated breakfast. We are asking for times so we can seat far apart. We will not refresh rooms. We will have pretty masks for sale and will require masks in the common areas. We have a hand sanitizing station at the front door.
We bought coffee machines for all the rooms.
We aren’t doing the three day close before and after but will keep an eye on guidelines as they come out. My current understanding is that the virus doesn’t live more than three hours on surfaces. So, no early checkins, no rushed cleaning..
I saw your masks on Facebook - cute!

Has anyone ever done breakfast meal prep? That's my plan. Even if I have to figure it all on my own. Meal prep plates for guest's breakfast. Tell me what time, it's ready. You can decide if you want to eat it at the table or you want to take it to the room. And I'm closing down 2 of the room, so each room has private bath, one ensuite and the other detached. But I'm going to get it from some of my regulars, because one of the rooms I'm closing down is the one with the private balcony. If they call or email, I'll make it available for them instead of the larger room.... or make the larger room available and let them use the balcony gratis.
So, any ideas on breakfast meal prep? Plastic or glass? One part containers? Three part? What works? What doesn't? Do you make a menu and let them choose from the menu?

Has anyone ever done breakfast meal prep? That's my plan. Even if I have to figure it all on my own. Meal prep plates for guest's breakfast. Tell me what time, it's ready. You can decide if you want to eat it at the table or you want to take it to the room. And I'm closing down 2 of the room, so each room has private bath, one ensuite and the other detached. But I'm going to get it from some of my regulars, because one of the rooms I'm closing down is the one with the private balcony. If they call or email, I'll make it available for them instead of the larger room.... or make the larger room available and let them use the balcony gratis.
So, any ideas on breakfast meal prep? Plastic or glass? One part containers? Three part? What works? What doesn't? Do you make a menu and let them choose from the menu?.
I think, given we are not going to be allowed 100% occupancy that a menu might be a good option. It could be the way to practice this at a time that guests will hopefully understand it’s all new to us.
i can’t see the need for disposables as we’re going to have to touch everything anyway. I have a bunch of serving trays to haul the plates around on. We won’t offer anything that doesn’t already fit in the plate.

So, any ideas on breakfast meal prep? Plastic or glass? One part containers? Three part? What works? What doesn't? Do you make a menu and let them choose from the menu?.
I think, given we are not going to be allowed 100% occupancy that a menu might be a good option. It could be the way to practice this at a time that guests will hopefully understand it’s all new to us.
i can’t see the need for disposables as we’re going to have to touch everything anyway. I have a bunch of serving trays to haul the plates around on. We won’t offer anything that doesn’t already fit in the plate.
That's why I was thinking meal prep plates. They aren't disposable. They come in glass or plastic, but reusable. Things like... https://buythiscookthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Breakfast-Meal-Prep-4.jpg or http://www.peanutbutterandfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/bento-breakfast-prep2.jpg
The containers come in single compartment, 2 compartment or 3 compartment. And the come with covers. I could prepare the cold stuff and add the hot stuff in time for them to pick it up. Add cut fruit in one part, different choices. I can even make my egg bites (which incidentally, since they are pasturized stay a LONG time in the fridge, fresh.)

That's why I was thinking meal prep plates. They aren't disposable. They come in glass or plastic, but reusable. Things like... https://buythiscookthat.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Breakfast-Meal-Prep-4.jpg or http://www.peanutbutterandfitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/02/bento-breakfast-prep2.jpg
The containers come in single compartment, 2 compartment or 3 compartment. And the come with covers. I could prepare the cold stuff and add the hot stuff in time for them to pick it up. Add cut fruit in one part, different choices. I can even make my egg bites (which incidentally, since they are pasturized stay a LONG time in the fridge, fresh.)
Ah, I see what you mean now. It’s not a huge investment so it might work!

Ah, I see what you mean now. It’s not a huge investment so it might work!
A big bunch that can be washed in the dishwasher are like $20. The glass ones are more expensive, but classier.... plus heavier, which will generally mean they don't want to carry them away with them. But I guess I could put a $10 price tag for non return and colour code them by room by the cover.
But I think this is more a question of making it easier if they want to eat it in, eat it in the room or eat it on the patio. And less worry of contamination.

Our plans just got pushed out by at least a month. Waiting to see what you all come up with! We can’t take tourists until at least June, and possibly July..
Same here. It's alright with us, we are not living off this income.
I am having the same problems as everyone else, there are products out there (Google says so) that are "hospital grade cleaners", but I can't get my hands on them.

Condiments plan?

Arks that kinda what our plan is as well. I did some research and supposedly ozone machines kill the virus. We have one and plan on using it as well.
I got an ozone machine also. That and extra time between guests should be a confidence enhancer.

I have been closed only by lack of business. I had a 1 nighter last week and I have a man coming in for 2-nights tomorrow. I am doing what I always did except no hugging or handshakes - out of deference to them not because I am afraid. I am not. Prudence is one thing, but I refuse to be controlled by fear.
I already have everything I need but I would just be going to my local stores for supplies..
I may end up doing similar. Maybe wear gloves for table service. The actual mechanics of this are something I have to think about now. The phone calls have started.

Condiments plan?
Anon Inn said:
Condiments plan?
Not quite related, but our restaurants are allowed to reopen May 11 for dine-in, with tables spaced 10' apart, staff and guests required to wear masks (guests are, fortunately, allowed to remove their mask after the food arrives).
My plan is to start carrying my own little supply bag when I eat out, containing my salt, pepper, hot sauce, silverware, napkin, etc. That way I won't touch anything but the food on the plate.

Back