What a day

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nkeeprs

Reaction score
Guest come down at 11:05 to checkout. ( Checkout time is 11:00 a.m keep in mind) The younger guy then hands me somthing and says it broke off while in the shower. How it broke off I have no idea since the bath shower is brand new this spring, but I just smile and say I will fix it later on an the whole time I am thinking I have a full checkout and full checkin today for a very busy weekend. I then get the chambermaidsgoing on rooms and run to hardware store to find the piece that broke. thank god for the guys at the hardware store that know I own a Inn and help me out. I then drive back at 11:45 am and waiting in my lobby our two guest saying they would like to checkin early. ( Keep in mind checkins are 3:00 pm. ) I explain that we are still cleaning rooms after a full guest turn, upon the woman rolling her eyes at her husband and saying well I guess we will have to do somthing unitl we can chekcin. I show them around give then there keys and send them on there happy way. Again in the back of my mind " the shower that is broke that I need to fix before those guest checkin." All rooms done, most guest all checked In, except the guest that showed up at 11:45 . Just don't want any remarks upon there return. Again just another day of innkeeping on a busy summer day. But I am still smiling . HeHe

Sounds like a busy one! You are in good company, our day went very similarly to that, first check-in showed up at 10:45, and just now took a call to fill our last room for the weekend and they will not arrive 'til 7 pm. But we gotta make hay while the sun shines, right?
Hubs just made a batch of his world famous rum punch which is why I'm still cheery
cheers.gif

Send some my way. I need a good punch to make me laugh on this crazy day LOL
By the way my couple just checked that showed up this morning early. and the first thing she said . I hope this is a safe neighborhood for us to walk. Again I smile and show them to there beautiful guest room while I offer them warm cookies right out of the oven.

holy cow...some days...man some days are just full of that aren't they. Tomorrow is a fresh one, go at it with a grin and it'll be a good un.
teeth_smile.gif

By the way my couple just checked that showed up this morning early. and the first thing she said . I hope this is a safe neighborhood for us to walk. Again I smile and show them to there beautiful guest room while I offer them warm cookies right out of the oven..
What was wrong with the shower?? Inquiring minds want to know.............
I hope tomorrow is better!

By the way my couple just checked that showed up this morning early. and the first thing she said . I hope this is a safe neighborhood for us to walk. Again I smile and show them to there beautiful guest room while I offer them warm cookies right out of the oven..
The little thingy that you pull up to get the shower going broke off. so had to replace the whole thing. But I got it fixed. Yes a better day coming .

I have a ton of boxes of shower parts etc that I keep in the basement for these emergencies what tends to break with us is tha part that holds the shower head in place.

I dare anyone to find a shower head without plastic parts these days.

The little thingy that you pull up to get the shower going broke off. so had to replace the whole thing. But I got it fixed. Yes a better day coming .
That's why I was curious..... We also had a guest break the plastic part in a tub faucet for the shower diverter! Luckily, it was a brand with a lifetime warranty and we got a replacement for free. But guess what?? You couldn't just get the plastic part, you had to get the whole faucet. What a pain to replace.
I have no idea what the guest was doing to it but our 20 something son used that shower without screwing up it for over a year before we opened this place as a B&B. It's a pretty simple system.
We had some idiots try to change the flow on a large porcelain shower head over a clawfoot tub and broke a METAL piece inside. Again, we had to replace the entire head as even soldering it wouldn't have worked.
Makes you wonder what they do at home........

I have a ton of boxes of shower parts etc that I keep in the basement for these emergencies what tends to break with us is tha part that holds the shower head in place..
We all probably have something that's the equivalent to a mini-hardware store on site with all kinds of things in them. haha.

I have a ton of boxes of shower parts etc that I keep in the basement for these emergencies what tends to break with us is tha part that holds the shower head in place..
We all probably have something that's the equivalent to a mini-hardware store on site with all kinds of things in them. haha.
Samster said:
What totally surprised us in moving here was the LACK of parts or tools! We looked for stuff like that on the tour when we were set on buying this place. Nothing but car parts. When we got here, all that was left behind was a broken shovel. We had to rebuild our 'spare parts' collection over the years.

Samster said:
What totally surprised us in moving here was the LACK of parts or tools! We looked for stuff like that on the tour when we were set on buying this place. Nothing but car parts. When we got here, all that was left behind was a broken shovel. We had to rebuild our 'spare parts' collection over the years.
I guess your PO's hired everything out then. They couldn't have been do-it-yourself people without any "junk" around.
regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
I guess your PO's hired everything out then. They couldn't have been do-it-yourself people without any "junk" around.
regular_smile.gif

Our PO's hired absolutely everything out except the interior painting. So when we took over we found ZERO here for spare parts and can after can of 3/4 empty ugly paint colors
teeth_smile.gif

I am looking at another building out the back of us just because it has a huge basement where I could store all my parts it would be heaven.

I am looking at another building out the back of us just because it has a huge basement where I could store all my parts it would be heaven..
Here, it's called a detached 3 car garage. haha! I do actually also have a 1978 MGB in there. But someone has put stuff on it!! My dh was supposed to get the garage in good enough shape that I could actually park my car in there. That was about 5 years ago....sigh...

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

Part of the reason we had so many 'small' projects when we first got here. They had a work-around for everything that didn't work because they decided to stop hiring out the jobs and they didn't do them themselves.
It was the weirdest thing...they told us they did everything themselves, but there were no tools or parts anywhere. Guests told us they hired someone to do everything and the neighbors said the same thing.

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

Part of the reason we had so many 'small' projects when we first got here. They had a work-around for everything that didn't work because they decided to stop hiring out the jobs and they didn't do them themselves.
It was the weirdest thing...they told us they did everything themselves, but there were no tools or parts anywhere. Guests told us they hired someone to do everything and the neighbors said the same thing.
Yes, I like that term "work-around", and that's exactly how our PO's were...if something didn't work they had the perfect excuse or alternate when we were just like "How 'bout just fix it and then you're done?". They also conveyed a strong attitude of Our Way Is Best so the guests could like it or lump it.

Samster wrote: They couldn't have been do-it-yourself people without any "junk" around.<sigh> Now I do not feel so bad - we have a shed FULL of junk - I mean spare parts! Our problem is they are not organized...maybe this fall!

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif

Yes, I like that term "work-around", and that's exactly how our PO's were...if something didn't work they had the perfect excuse or alternate when we were just like "How 'bout just fix it and then you're done?". They also conveyed a strong attitude of Our Way Is Best so the guests could like it or lump it.
This is a perfect example...our first day here, they were going to show us how to clean the rooms. I figured I could make a bed, so I went ahead and did that on my own. Then I was to be shown how to clean the bathroom. There was a scuff mark on the shower where the door rubbed (which we had alreayd noted as this was the room we were sleeping in our first night here). I was told, 'Now, this is how you clean that mark off.' And I said, 'Not to worry, we brought along a screwdriver to fix the door.'
Seriously, one of the screws that held the door was loose. 2 seconds and the problem went away.

Back