What a night....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
Who would have thought...
No rez for the next two days, so I thought maybe I should take a run to town (remember, Fairbanks is only 210 miles from my house) to do some shopping.
Well, hubs decided he wanted to go and take care of some biz too, so I decided not to go today, spend a night and have a relaxing evening. Instead, we are going up on sunday morning and round tripping it.
Well, at 9:30 the phone rang..."got any vacancies?" yep, sure do.....within 30 minutes, I rented out 3 rooms. Our town is full again.
One room has 4 older people in it, they can't get up the stairs...rollaway bed....
2 dogs in two different rooms.....stripp the whole thing....
One couple liked to do some laundry but decided tonight is too late, so they'll do it in the morning.....ok, I said, not thinking at all
confused_smile.gif
........maybe "I" have some laundry to do in the AM???????
They are "going to sleep in" but made sure of the check out time....lets see how that plays out.
So, preparing breakfast at 10:30 PM.......
to be continued.....

If I had two days with no guests and things planned I think I would have refused them when they called. You need to take time for yourselves. Monday night we had no guests after a full weekend. At about 6:00 PM someone rang our door bell. The were from Switzerland, two couples wanted two rooms for one night. We had not turned over any of the rooms because the cleaning people were coming the next day and would do all the entire house. I invited them in and help them find a place to stay. I had also been in the middle of ironing and we were going out to dinner later that evening. Sent them on their way, went back to ironing. Phone rings. Now it is about 7:00 PM. Guy want to know if we have availability for that night. "Sorry, we don't".
It sounds like you are putting yourself through the wringer on this one.
confused_smile.gif

Oh by the way. I direct guests to the nearest laundromat when they mention that they need to do laundry!!!!!!!!!

If I had two days with no guests and things planned I think I would have refused them when they called. You need to take time for yourselves. Monday night we had no guests after a full weekend. At about 6:00 PM someone rang our door bell. The were from Switzerland, two couples wanted two rooms for one night. We had not turned over any of the rooms because the cleaning people were coming the next day and would do all the entire house. I invited them in and help them find a place to stay. I had also been in the middle of ironing and we were going out to dinner later that evening. Sent them on their way, went back to ironing. Phone rings. Now it is about 7:00 PM. Guy want to know if we have availability for that night. "Sorry, we don't".
confused_smile.gif

Oh by the way. I direct guests to the nearest laundromat when they mention that they need to do laundry!!!!!!!!!.
I think I am going to send them to the laundromat too...it's only 2 miles from here. And like they said, they might sleep in too, so there won't be time to do laundry anyways since checkout is at 11.
As for the trip, we did decide to go sunday afterall, so it really did not make a difference. I think it was just good that we changed plans since hubs was a block away in the garage. We forward our phone if we leave, but he was covered in grease, working on the big boy toy....
right now it's 7:30 am, all still quiet. I guess mayham starts after they get all up....

confused_smile.gif

Oh by the way. I direct guests to the nearest laundromat when they mention that they need to do laundry!!!!!!!!!.
I think I am going to send them to the laundromat too...it's only 2 miles from here. And like they said, they might sleep in too, so there won't be time to do laundry anyways since checkout is at 11.
As for the trip, we did decide to go sunday afterall, so it really did not make a difference. I think it was just good that we changed plans since hubs was a block away in the garage. We forward our phone if we leave, but he was covered in grease, working on the big boy toy....
right now it's 7:30 am, all still quiet. I guess mayham starts after they get all up....
Yes, I hope you make it clear that you do not provide laundry services for guests nor access to any of your laundry equipment. I helped out one couple in a real emergency...which was a bit of our fault...but that was once in 7 years. Sorry...they can go to a nearby laundromat. But of course, that may be what she meant anyway:)

Another Murphy Law - plan a trip & the phone will ring!
No Laundry use here either - I over use it myself with 5 rooms & 'our personal' clothes. It very seldom is idle.

confused_smile.gif

LOL... your 7:30 a.m. is my 11:30... all guests out of the house, dishwasher on its second load, cleaning the room where the couple hopes to check in early... now it's 12:30 and they're here, while you're probably in the swing of breakfast! One more room to finish cleaning, and one to fluff, and then we'll see what we have time to do today.
=)
Kk.

No Laundry use here either - I over use it myself with 5 rooms & 'our personal' clothes. It very seldom is idle..
Copperhead said:
No Laundry use here either - I over use it myself with 5 rooms & 'our personal' clothes. It very seldom is idle.
CH, I can't recall if I asked and you told or not, what part of the country are you in? or state?
I agree, my washer and dryer is never idle. The laundry is always waiting nearby as well.

12:32 PM, Alaska time.....let couple do laundry, they still waiting for the dryer to finish....heaps of laundry, on top of regular, 3 extra comforters due to 2 dogs and rollaway bed, also top sleepers....gee, when it rains it pours....
Also just found that new toilet the water tank is cracked...more reason to go to Town...Lowes or HD.....
Got my first load in washer, only steam cleaning this blanket.

12:32 PM, Alaska time.....let couple do laundry, they still waiting for the dryer to finish....heaps of laundry, on top of regular, 3 extra comforters due to 2 dogs and rollaway bed, also top sleepers....gee, when it rains it pours....
Also just found that new toilet the water tank is cracked...more reason to go to Town...Lowes or HD.....
Got my first load in washer, only steam cleaning this blanket..
You're a sweetie. I point guests across the street to the laundromat and let them know I spend most of the day using the washing machine. Maybe they think I send the laundry out.
confused_smile.gif

Otherwise, how could they think I could spare a washing machine and dryer for any length of time?!
Today I did 3 rooms' worth of sheets and towels and one mattress pad. The sheets are still washing. Tomorrow it is 5 rooms' worth and 2 mattress pads. (I'm almost done washing all of them! Then I start back on the quilts and blankets.)

Got my first load in washer, only steam cleaning this blanket..
You're a sweetie. I point guests across the street to the laundromat and let them know I spend most of the day using the washing machine. Maybe they think I send the laundry out.
confused_smile.gif

Otherwise, how could they think I could spare a washing machine and dryer for any length of time?!
Today I did 3 rooms' worth of sheets and towels and one mattress pad. The sheets are still washing. Tomorrow it is 5 rooms' worth and 2 mattress pads. (I'm almost done washing all of them! Then I start back on the quilts and blankets.)
Bree said:
Many travelers have hard time thinking beyond the tip of their own needs ;)

yep. this was definately the last time. I will take the "Laundry facilitie's available" off the website. Also the small dogs allowed.
I love dogs and hate to turn people away , but even thou I charge $35.00 extra per night, I really don't think it's worth it. Stripping the whole room....here it is 2:40 pm and I am only on my second blanket....not even the sheets or towels...told my guests: "I am sure glad I live here, I'd still be here tomorrow doing all that laundry"....

yep. this was definately the last time. I will take the "Laundry facilitie's available" off the website. Also the small dogs allowed.
I love dogs and hate to turn people away , but even thou I charge $35.00 extra per night, I really don't think it's worth it. Stripping the whole room....here it is 2:40 pm and I am only on my second blanket....not even the sheets or towels...told my guests: "I am sure glad I live here, I'd still be here tomorrow doing all that laundry".....
Mooseberry Inn said:
I love dogs and hate to turn people away , but even thou I charge $35.00 extra per night, I really don't think it's worth it. Stripping the whole room....here it is 2:40 pm and I am only on my second blanket....not even the sheets or towels...told my guests: "I am sure glad I live here, I'd still be here tomorrow doing all that laundry"....
Set one room as 'dog friendly' and get back up linens. I swapped out the 'good' stuff for the back up quilts when the dog was going to be in the room where the next guest was allergic. I have back-up blankets and quilts for that room. Easy peasy. Strip the beds and remake with the other linens and wash later on.

I love dogs and hate to turn people away , but even thou I charge $35.00 extra per night, I really don't think it's worth it. Stripping the whole room....here it is 2:40 pm and I am only on my second blanket....not even the sheets or towels...told my guests: "I am sure glad I live here, I'd still be here tomorrow doing all that laundry".....
Mooseberry Inn said:
Set one room as 'dog friendly' and get back up linens. I swapped out the 'good' stuff for the back up quilts when the dog was going to be in the room where the next guest was allergic. I have back-up blankets and quilts for that room. Easy peasy. Strip the beds and remake with the other linens and wash later on.
I do have 3 sets of sheets for each room, but no blankets or quilts.
I guessd when I go to town I will pick some up....another goos excuse to buy more bedding
wink_smile.gif

I also will have a pet policy printed and have them read and sign it when checking in. I do have them in my folder in the rooms, but don't think anyone reads them or they just plain ignore them.
One blanket done, second in dryer and finally down to washing sheets.....

confused_smile.gif

Guests can't use our laundry rooms here - the Health Department won't allow it. So that is what I tell them...just the way it is.
Yep, backup comforters (quilts or coverlets), mattress protectors, pillow shams, blankets are a must, even if you don't take pets! I have 3 comforters in my car that I need to take to the laundromat because they won't fit in our washers - all had something on them. I actually have a couple of quilts that will work in different rooms. I also have quite a few extra pillow protectors. I've had to trade out several of them lately...I guess we've had some droolers. ugh.
confused_smile.gif

OHHHH you had that on your website...well no wonder. Glad you are taking it off!!! Room rate does not include your water, detergent and fabric softener:-(

OHHHH you had that on your website...well no wonder. Glad you are taking it off!!! Room rate does not include your water, detergent and fabric softener:-(
catlady said:
and extra fill on the septic system.

Finally had time to take it off my ewb site...no more laundry, no more pets...ahhhhh

Finally had time to take it off my ewb site...no more laundry, no more pets...ahhhhh
Mooseberry Inn said:
We had our first (that I know of) dog 'accident' in the room. Tiny dog, tiny accident. Hubs said, 'How did you find THAT?' ha, ha, I said, 'It looked out of place.'
wink_smile.gif

Mooseberry Inn said:
We had our first (that I know of) dog 'accident' in the room. Tiny dog, tiny accident. Hubs said, 'How did you find THAT?' ha, ha, I said, 'It looked out of place.'
wink_smile.gif

That's funny....
One couple told me bout an experience they had at another B&B.....A guy came downstairs to the common room and said to the Innkeeper, " My dog messed in the room, could you go and clean it up?"
I would have shown him and his dog the door.....
The nerve some people have....

Back