What a way to start a Holiday weekend

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copperhead

Reaction score
This winter wonderland sucks.... not that it's the only thing that makes this weekend hard to bare. Valentines day is second fiddle this weekend here. We have a BIGGER event going on and it does bring a slightly different crowd. And as I sit here pounding these keys, I know I will be up until midnight checking in guests that were due to be here by 9:00.
Then there is another that I called when they did not show by 5. 'Oh our reservation is not until tomorrow'...NO, check your email confirmation that you approved. Well they live only 2 hours away so they are coming and should be here soon. And I have to say she was very apologetic about it all, knowing it was her confusion. (she is foreign)
Now I just got a call from another young, foreign couple that were to be here by midnight but will not arrive until 4AM. This is their first B&B stay. Was unaware that we did not have 24hr staff (even though I told them when they booked). This booking (as I recall) was very difficult to finalize. Three emails along with 2 or 3 phone calls to complete the reservation. So here I am giving him self check in instructions while he is on the road - sure hope he was not driving. I gave him brief instructions to get in the door, and will leave an envelope inside with details to get to room. Then he was worried that someone else would take his envelope...GRRR.
Usually I only have 1 room that need a little more assistance during this event each year. I just hope this is it. I do have another coming in from Mexico (I believe they are German though) tomorrow night, it too seemed to take a little more time to finalize the reservation. If I can make it though the check ins, hopefully things will go down hill from there.. I have maps and inform for all the parades with routes, ideas for parking, etc. all ready for them. I know there will be quesitons but that is easy. For this event, we are only a place to get a little shut eye before going out again. They usually choose us because booking in the city prevents ANY shut eye and are for those real party animal types.
Just needed to vent - I like my sleep!

Ouch.. sorry to hear all that. One night of bad sleep often ruins me for a week or more. :(

Well, I should have thought of this sooner, but we now have guests coming here because they can't go where they originally planned. SO, weirdness abounds, guests are coming north to escape the snow.

Morning came and I am still steaming. DH (with a bold D) stayed up to greet the 'couple' (buddies) arriving at 4am. Good thing he did, they walked in with 2 others stating that they had booked for 4. DH knew I said 2 (the room accommodates 4, but an extra charge for the extra bodies during this weekend). He just told them he would work it out in the morning. After they thought DH had gone to bed, they came back down to bring in 2 more. DH caught them as they entered. All during this they tried to play like they did not understand him, then one of them said that it was only for one night and the other 2 would be gone.
Note: This was a PRE-PAID stay, all spelled out completely in my conversations with them AND in the email confirmation.
So he slept on the sofa so he could watch their movements.
This AM he tells me the details. Asks if I was clear in explaining. I told him I was abundantly clear and the email confirmation stressed he should read it in detail.
So 2 come down this AM and it is ME they are dealing with. He states that he told me 4, I told him no only 2 which was on the confirmation email that he approved, but that really was not the big issue, the issue was the other 2. I explained that we are not able have any more than 4 in that room due to fire marshall regulations. So then he goes into the 'well we are not from here, we are just students, right, we mean no harm, right. It will be OK, we will be quiet, you will not even know we are here. (ME, silently saying YEAH RIGHT! )
So then I again said, 4 could stay but the other 2 must go, and I offered them a list of hotel numbers to call, to hopefully find a room for the 2. They came back down later, stating they found a room for all of them. And they started asking about not charging them etc... I have stated and will stand my ground with a chance of a chargeback. I did not force the person making the reservation to leave, only the 2 additional (over the limit) guests. It was their CHOICE to leave.
I showed them my copy of the confirmation with his reply that "I am accepting all terms and conditions, Please go ahead and confirm the reservation."
I explained that even though I am not obligated in any way to credit any nights that were not used, I would refund any night I was able to re-rent. I pointed to my copy of the confirmation which states:
  1. There are no cancellations once booked & payment received (as they had booked within my canel period)
  2. No shows or cancellations made on the day of arrival are charged for their entire stay with no option of reimbersment.
  3. No refunds for early departure
  4. On regular bookings (covered as standard confirmation letter) Deposits are refunded only if we are able to rebook the room for the entire reserved dates.
I have been able to rebook tonight (only) as of now. As told to him, I will not apply any credit until all nights booked have passed so that any credit he is do, he will get all at one time. His buddy, asked if he could call to check what dates had been rented, I said up until 10PM, after that I do not answer the phone and will not take any other reservations. What a jerk - they broke the rules not me, I am even bending my policies.
I know I am better off without them in my home.
As far as the others, they are as nice as can be.. They came down apologizing again this morning. No problem, I was just glad they were able to take advantage of the room for every night.

Morning came and I am still steaming. DH (with a bold D) stayed up to greet the 'couple' (buddies) arriving at 4am. Good thing he did, they walked in with 2 others stating that they had booked for 4. DH knew I said 2 (the room accommodates 4, but an extra charge for the extra bodies during this weekend). He just told them he would work it out in the morning. After they thought DH had gone to bed, they came back down to bring in 2 more. DH caught them as they entered. All during this they tried to play like they did not understand him, then one of them said that it was only for one night and the other 2 would be gone.
Note: This was a PRE-PAID stay, all spelled out completely in my conversations with them AND in the email confirmation.
This AM he tells me the details. Asks if I was clear in explaining. I told him I was abundantly clear and the email confirmation stressed he should read it in detail.
So 2 come down this AM and it is ME they are dealing with. He states that he told me 4, I told him no only 2 which was on the confirmation email that he approved, but that really was not the big issue, the issue was the other 2. I explained that we are not able have any more than 4 in that room due to fire marshall regulations. So then he goes into the 'well we are not from here, we are just students, right, we mean no harm, right. It will be OK, we will be quiet, you will not even know we are here. (ME, silently saying YEAH RIGHT! )
So then I again said, 4 could stay but the other 2 must go, and I offered them a list of hotel numbers to call, to hopefully find a room for the 2. They came back down later, stating they found a room for all of them. And they started asking about not charging them etc... I have stated and will stand my ground with a chance of a chargeback. I did not force the person making the reservation to leave, only the 2 additional (over the limit) guests. It was their CHOICE to leave.
I showed them my copy of the confirmation with his reply that "I am accepting all terms and conditions, Please go ahead and confirm the reservation."
I explained that even though I am not obligated in any way to credit any nights that were not used, I would refund any night I was able to re-rent. I pointed to my copy of the confirmation which states:
  1. There are no cancellations once booked & payment received (as they had booked within my canel period)
  2. No shows or cancellations made on the day of arrival are charged for their entire stay with no option of reimbersment.
  4. On regular bookings (covered as standard confirmation letter) Deposits are refunded only if we are able to rebook the room for the entire reserved dates.
I have been able to rebook tonight (only) as of now. As told to him, I will not apply any credit until all nights booked have passed so that any credit he is do, he will get all at one time. His buddy, asked if he could call to check what dates had been rented, I said up until 10PM, after that I do not answer the phone and will not take any other reservations. What a jerk - they broke the rules not me, I am even bending my policies.
As far as the others, they are as nice as can be.. They came down apologizing again this morning. No problem, I was just glad they were able to take advantage of the room for every night..
Oh my goodness, what a nightmare for you. Why is this type of person/people even interested in a b&b in the first place??? It boggles my mind.
I'm so sorry for you and your partner, that is just ROTTEN to be treated that way
sad_smile.gif

pita.gif

As far as the others, they are as nice as can be.. They came down apologizing again this morning. No problem, I was just glad they were able to take advantage of the room for every night..
Yowza! I've had people snuck in after hours but nothing like this.

Oh my goodness, what a nightmare for you. Why is this type of person/people even interested in a b&b in the first place??? It boggles my mind.
I'm so sorry for you and your partner, that is just ROTTEN to be treated that way
sad_smile.gif

pita.gif

Probably more along the lines of thinking it was a 'hotel' of some sort and that no one would even notice the extra 4 guests.
I do hate it, tho, when a person who can speak English to get what they want, suddenly can't speak it or understand it when they're not getting what they want.

sad_smile.gif

pita.gif

Probably more along the lines of thinking it was a 'hotel' of some sort and that no one would even notice the extra 4 guests.
I do hate it, tho, when a person who can speak English to get what they want, suddenly can't speak it or understand it when they're not getting what they want.
Exactly Morticia. When called to tell me of his late arrival, I told him we are NOT like a hotel, we only have 5 guest rooms. I do not think it really would have made any difference if he understood what it ment or not. They were out to play this game before they made a reservation anywhere. I know (well in my heart I know) that they did the very same thing at the big H hotel near by when they booked. I surely am not calling them though...they are now THEIR problem.
Regarding the language barrier, it is amazing how well he wrote his acceptance email etc. It is also amazing that they were all students, yet could not understand the english language.
Again, our 10th year renting during this big event and this is the first time to have such a bad experience, glad it wasn't our first year or I might have been running. Guess it was bound to happen sometime.

Wow what a set of 'nads on them! I'll bet they knew exactly what they were doing. I would stand my ground too. In fact, I would be tempted to charge an additional 'after hours service charge'.
Man... I can't stand idjits....

That's so rude! I know students/backpackers are trying to do everything as cheaply as possible but that just shows a complete lack of respect, especially when staying in someone's home. I imagine they just hadn't considered it from anyone's perspective but their own. I agree, with Rupert - what were they doing in a B&B? They would have been better off looking for a hostel.
Well done for taking the high road and offering them money back for any nights you managed to book - more than they deserve.

Well, here's the latest on this. I thankfully was able to rebook Sat. night to a VERY sweet couple. But was not able to rebook Sun, tonight or as of yet, tomorrow. He called me 3 times yesterday asking if it had been rebooked. I told him yes for Sat. night and would provide him a credit after his full booking period.
His last call last night (about 8PM) said well we may come and stay then since I have paid. I said that is fine if you and THREE of your buddies want to come stay, but again I will NOT allow any others. I did not want ANY of them and felt he was just trying me to see what I would say. If I told him he was not welcome, then he had a case for getting a chargeback. He did not call again until this afternoon asking if I had rented it last night or for tonight.
I am taking notes of all his calls as additional proof he knew of the charge and the terms of the reseration.
He is one slick jerk.

Back