What about YOU on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our place is a bit different from the traditional B&B. We've developed a special niche for romantic getaways and emphasize the romantic privacy. We deliver breakfast to their door, knock and run away. I don't even see our guests until usually 10:00am or after, and sometimes I don't see them at all during their stay! I get the wonderful innkeeper/guest interaction on check-in/check-out and when we see them sometimes coming and going. The guest can then choose the amount of interaction they have with us. Most are here to spend romantic quality time with each other so we leave them alone unless I get the vibe that they want more innkeeper interaction.
I've purposefully not put anything about us on the homepage of our website, but if they read our blog, they'll see pictures of us and get a feel of who we are. I know we're not the norm, but it definitely works for us..
NW BB said:
but it definitely works for us.
That right there is the best reason to do what you do. There is no right or wrong answer to this business. If it works, work it. If it doesn't, try something else
penelope said:
NW BB said:
That right there is the best reason to do what you do. There is no right or wrong answer to this business. If it works, work it. If it doesn't, try something else
In other words, you don't always know what works or does not because people won't always say something. Maybe those who want to see a bit of info about the innkeepers close the browser and move on to the next B&B on their list or in the area?
This is always a false assumption that is we have a room booked then everything must be great. There is always room for improvement. Like mentioned our websites just like our B&B's are continually evolving. We are forced to change when change is necessary.
And of course, we realize we cannot be all things to all people. We know that. Not every guest wants 100% privacy and alone time just like not every guest wants to be entertained by the innkeepers, so we have to be mind readers. Another one of the hats we wear. :)
So, this is the next question - if there is no innkeeper info on the website are we to assume we will not have much interaction with the innkeeper?
Or is it that nephew Jimmy made the B&B website in High school and he just never included that info, and in reality the innkeepers are very friendly hosts?
What is YOUR assumption when you look at a website? Re innkeeper bio or lackthereof? (meaning something, not necessarily pages worth to bore everyone)
If I see no innkeeper info it makes no difference to me. If I see TOO much innkeeper info then I'm concerned I'll be 'cornered' when I arrive. I especially feel that way if there are a lot of religious references or references to lots of social groups or the innkeeper invites guests to join them for social groups. ("Hey, we square dance every Thursday in the barn out back, hope you'll join us!")
Bree said:
If I see no innkeeper info it makes no difference to me. If I see TOO much innkeeper info then I'm concerned I'll be 'cornered' when I arrive. I especially feel that way if there are a lot of religious references or references to lots of social groups or the innkeeper invites guests to join them for social groups. ("Hey, we square dance every Thursday in the barn out back, hope you'll join us!")
SQUARE DANCIN!
I actually think it is semi-important to put that stuff on IF that is what the guests will experience, so like yourself you would not be into the hoe down.
I also think, like the guest who came laden with photos albums of her dogs - which made me delete images of our dog for the next month from the website - you INVITE that by putting it on there, from the guests. By the way, it was not the same breed, by the way, it was not a rescue, by the way it had nothing in common more than being CANINE. But since we had it on our website, she assumed we wanted to flip through her albums. Her dog was cute, don't get me wrong.
So it is a win-lose, win win, lose lose. uhhh, all comes out in the wash, I guess. Roll with the punches but put on there what you think you might like to see?

Our place is a bit different from the traditional B&B. We've developed a special niche for romantic getaways and emphasize the romantic privacy. We deliver breakfast to their door, knock and run away. I don't even see our guests until usually 10:00am or after, and sometimes I don't see them at all during their stay! I get the wonderful innkeeper/guest interaction on check-in/check-out and when we see them sometimes coming and going. The guest can then choose the amount of interaction they have with us. Most are here to spend romantic quality time with each other so we leave them alone unless I get the vibe that they want more innkeeper interaction.
I've purposefully not put anything about us on the homepage of our website, but if they read our blog, they'll see pictures of us and get a feel of who we are. I know we're not the norm, but it definitely works for us..
NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
In other words, you don't always know what works or does not because people won't always say something. Maybe those who want to see a bit of info about the innkeepers close the browser and move on to the next B&B on their list or in the area?
This is always a false assumption that is we have a room booked then everything must be great. There is always room for improvement. Like mentioned our websites just like our B&B's are continually evolving. We are forced to change when change is necessary.
And of course, we realize we cannot be all things to all people. We know that. Not every guest wants 100% privacy and alone time just like not every guest wants to be entertained by the innkeepers, so we have to be mind readers. Another one of the hats we wear. :)
So, this is the next question - if there is no innkeeper info on the website are we to assume we will not have much interaction with the innkeeper?
Or is it that nephew Jimmy made the B&B website in High school and he just never included that info, and in reality the innkeepers are very friendly hosts?
What is YOUR assumption when you look at a website? Re innkeeper bio or lackthereof? (meaning something, not necessarily pages worth to bore everyone)
Bree said:
SQUARE DANCIN!
I actually think it is semi-important to put that stuff on IF that is what the guests will experience, so like yourself you would not be into the hoe down.
I also think, like the guest who came laden with photos albums of her dogs - which made me delete images of our dog for the next month from the website - you INVITE that by putting it on there, from the guests. By the way, it was not the same breed, by the way, it was not a rescue, by the way it had nothing in common more than being CANINE. But since we had it on our website, she assumed we wanted to flip through her albums. Her dog was cute, don't get me wrong.
So it is a win-lose, win win, lose lose. uhhh, all comes out in the wash, I guess. Roll with the punches but put on there what you think you might like to see?
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
SQUARE DANCIN!
Good point. If you put that stuff because that's what I'm going to be hit with, then I can make the choice. If you OMIT that stuff so you can guilt someone into going along to your quilting bee or choral group then you are a bad, bad innkeeper! It's one thing to leave a note saying everyone has gone to Timmy's tuba concert, it's another to push the guests to come along!
OTOH, I was invited by an innkeeper (who knows who she is) to go to her local St Pat's Day party. I LOVED that. I felt like I was part of the neighborhood. And I had a great time.

Come on you have heard the story many times Bree "SEBASTION'S TUBA"
Dang that is a good story isn't it?!

Dang that is a good story isn't it?!.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Dang that is a good story isn't it?!
I could not, for the life of me, remember 'Sebastian'. So, 'Timmy's tuba' had a bit of alliteration to it...

I had it posted on my site at Christmas - cannot remember if it was the Happenings page of in the Special offered at Christmas - that there was a 7pm candlelight Christmas Eve Service at the Methodist Church and Midnight Mass at the Catholic. My guests were very pleased to know about that. I told them when I took the rez that I would be going to that service if they could please time arrival accordingly. They actually wanted to go to the service WITH me.
I like to post what is happening as an FYI and do like to warn that I am going so plan accordingly for arrivals. We had some guests due in that we had invited - if they were interested - to go to a dinner/program we were going to. they said yes but when they got here decided they were too tired to go - offering to pay for their meals. We told them no sweat, not to worry and were able to invite a lady who lived nearby to meet us there. SHE really enjoyed the invite - whether she enjoyed the program or not (she seemed to). We were paying for the 4 meals regardless and the guests appreciated the invite in the first place and the not to worry let off the hook when they changed their minds. I would never ever make a guest feel they HAD to do something but would feel we cheated them if we did not let them know something special was available.

I like it when I visit an Inn's website and it has a picture and a little something about the Innkeepers on it. I would not pass up the Inn because it didn't have anything about the Innkeepers though. I would say that the majority of the sites I visit do not have a picture of the Innkeepers, unless they are there but you just have to dig a little to see them....
embaressed_smile.gif
JBJ, I didn't realize you had a picture on your site until tonight where I read that you did so I had to go in and find it! I liked it and I liked what you had wrote about you and your family!

I like it when I visit an Inn's website and it has a picture and a little something about the Innkeepers on it. I would not pass up the Inn because it didn't have anything about the Innkeepers though. I would say that the majority of the sites I visit do not have a picture of the Innkeepers, unless they are there but you just have to dig a little to see them....
embaressed_smile.gif
JBJ, I didn't realize you had a picture on your site until tonight where I read that you did so I had to go in and find it! I liked it and I liked what you had wrote about you and your family!.
GeorgiaGirl said:
embaressed_smile.gif
JBJ, I didn't realize you had a picture on your site until tonight where I read that you did so I had to go in and find it! I liked it and I liked what you had wrote about you and your family!
Thanks. I have had guests chastise because they really did want to learn more about who they were staying with. Which is partially why I brought this subject up. Our guest this week who was a single female business traveler will only stay in places where she sees the innkeepers up front.
I myself like to see a pic of the innkeepers, even if it is just a small one. There is a lodging place in this state where the owner had a "glamour" shot of herself and it bothered me to no end. She probably just thought it was her best shot, so put it on there.
I know many on this forum have a photo somewhere on their website, but like you said, you have to do a little reading and browsing before you come to it. I like that, if someone really wants to find them they can.

Another reason I want a small photo/bio on our website is that I want people to know WE LIVE HERE and this is OUR HOME. I think by doing this, we have eliminated much of the 'one night stand/hotel' mentality, therefore having less guests who want to USE your place and disresepct it. Like I say, most of our guests make their beds even when they are checking out. Maybe their Momma just taught them well? I don't know.
This is the same reason I think innkeepers need to have a 'presence' at their B&B's.
Whether this is all true or not, I have no idea, but in my way of thinking, it makes sense to me.

I like to see a photo of the innkeepers, especially if it shows them in context--doing something they enjoy--and not a staged studio photograph. If there's a blurb about the innkeepers, I'll read it, but I don't need to get a history on them in order to book a stay there.
What I really don't like, and I've seen on rare occasions, is where the innkeepers seem to have put more effort into their 'about us' section than they put into the rest of the website, where their bio page looks more polished and fleshed out than their rooms page. It makes me think that if I stay at their B&B, the visit will be about them, and not about my getaway.

We have done something a bit different and at the same time added a bit of levity. In fact we have had several reservations with comments that they reserved because of the blurb on the hosts. If you go to www.tuckedinntheharbour.com and go to the About the Inn page you will see what we have done at the bottom of the page. Would appreciate any comments
Harry

We have done something a bit different and at the same time added a bit of levity. In fact we have had several reservations with comments that they reserved because of the blurb on the hosts. If you go to www.tuckedinntheharbour.com and go to the About the Inn page you will see what we have done at the bottom of the page. Would appreciate any comments
Harry.
My kind of people!!

Harry.
You guys look like you have a blast doing what you do!!!

Harry.
I think it is funny and looks like fun. But I have to extend the usual caution that just because some people tell you they like it, you have to keep in mind that you won't hear from people it turned off. This is where looking at your stats might be some help. Does that page have a higher exit rate than your other pages?
I liked the photo ... the functional dysfuntional comment is the one that caused me to pause and wonder if its a good idea or not.

OK, I'm on my website. Trying to be a little light-hearted without being too casual.

OK, I'm on my website. Trying to be a little light-hearted without being too casual..
Bree said:
OK, I'm on my website. Trying to be a little light-hearted without being too casual.
See automatically I smiled and said "ahhhh there they are!" LOVE THAT! I think that is an edge over competitors who do not have a photo of the innkeepers. It is a WELCOME TO MY INN page! GREAT JOB Bree and the other two in the pic.

OK, I'm on my website. Trying to be a little light-hearted without being too casual..
Bree said:
See automatically I smiled and said "ahhhh there they are!" LOVE THAT! I think that is an edge over competitors who do not have a photo of the innkeepers. It is a WELCOME TO MY INN page! GREAT JOB Bree and the other two in the pic.
I liked it and I like where you put it. So when I am contacting you now I know to whom I am speaking.. it's a great way to introduce you all and show you have a dog on site as well, since you know nobody reads...
RIki

Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
The other 2 in the pic don't even know it's there.

I love it. I think you hit the mood you were looking for: "little light-hearted without being too casual".

Back