What about YOU on your website?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
Is it because I am in this business that I notice websites that a LACK of personableness? I am not actually wanting much on th ABOUT US but a simple line or two or photo, nothing extravagant.
What are your thoughts? Is this why many guests feel the need to call and speak to an innkeeper to find out WHO they are?

It just may be. I know I am always curious to know about the innkeepers - that's one of the first things I do when I look at a website. And I think that people trying a B&B for the first time especially may be interested in seeing something on owners.
We mainly have our photo on ours because of the wine tours. It makes it easier for us to find our guests when we pick up at hotels that they know who they are looking for.
Riki

That's a good point. I am going to add a simple picture of us on the contact page. Even tho you can read all about our vacations, motorcycle accidents, renovation projects in the newsletters, some folks don't get that far. And some only get as far as the phone number!

Our place is a bit different from the traditional B&B. We've developed a special niche for romantic getaways and emphasize the romantic privacy. We deliver breakfast to their door, knock and run away. I don't even see our guests until usually 10:00am or after, and sometimes I don't see them at all during their stay! I get the wonderful innkeeper/guest interaction on check-in/check-out and when we see them sometimes coming and going. The guest can then choose the amount of interaction they have with us. Most are here to spend romantic quality time with each other so we leave them alone unless I get the vibe that they want more innkeeper interaction.
I've purposefully not put anything about us on the homepage of our website, but if they read our blog, they'll see pictures of us and get a feel of who we are. I know we're not the norm, but it definitely works for us.

Our place is a bit different from the traditional B&B. We've developed a special niche for romantic getaways and emphasize the romantic privacy. We deliver breakfast to their door, knock and run away. I don't even see our guests until usually 10:00am or after, and sometimes I don't see them at all during their stay! I get the wonderful innkeeper/guest interaction on check-in/check-out and when we see them sometimes coming and going. The guest can then choose the amount of interaction they have with us. Most are here to spend romantic quality time with each other so we leave them alone unless I get the vibe that they want more innkeeper interaction.
I've purposefully not put anything about us on the homepage of our website, but if they read our blog, they'll see pictures of us and get a feel of who we are. I know we're not the norm, but it definitely works for us..
NW BB said:
but it definitely works for us.
That right there is the best reason to do what you do. There is no right or wrong answer to this business. If it works, work it. If it doesn't, try something else

I've purposefully not put anything about us on the homepage of our website, but if they read our blog, they'll see pictures of us and get a feel of who we are. I know we're not the norm, but it definitely works for us..
NW BB said:
That right there is the best reason to do what you do. There is no right or wrong answer to this business. If it works, work it. If it doesn't, try something else
penelope said:
NW BB said:
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.

NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
In other words, you don't always know what works or does not because people won't always say something. Maybe those who want to see a bit of info about the innkeepers close the browser and move on to the next B&B on their list or in the area?
This is always a false assumption that is we have a room booked then everything must be great. There is always room for improvement. Like mentioned our websites just like our B&B's are continually evolving. We are forced to change when change is necessary.
And of course, we realize we cannot be all things to all people. We know that. Not every guest wants 100% privacy and alone time just like not every guest wants to be entertained by the innkeepers, so we have to be mind readers. Another one of the hats we wear. :)
So, this is the next question - if there is no innkeeper info on the website are we to assume we will not have much interaction with the innkeeper?
Or is it that nephew Jimmy made the B&B website in High school and he just never included that info, and in reality the innkeepers are very friendly hosts?
What is YOUR assumption when you look at a website? Re innkeeper bio or lackthereof? (meaning something, not necessarily pages worth to bore everyone)

NW BB said:
I've purposefully not put anything about us on the homepage of our website, but if they read our blog, they'll see pictures of us and get a feel of who we are. I know we're not the norm, but it definitely works for us.
"The Vibe" good term.
teeth_smile.gif

NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
What I meant was that what they do is what is comfortable for them. They aren't trying to be something they aren't and they aren't trying to do something that is uncomfortable to them.
I, myself, look for SOMETHING about the innkeepers on a website. A photo on the contact us or a quick blurb about how long one has been an innkeeper...something. But that's just me. Would I stay at a place that doesn't have it on the website- yes. It's just morbid curiosity to me! :)

NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
What I meant was that what they do is what is comfortable for them. They aren't trying to be something they aren't and they aren't trying to do something that is uncomfortable to them.
I, myself, look for SOMETHING about the innkeepers on a website. A photo on the contact us or a quick blurb about how long one has been an innkeeper...something. But that's just me. Would I stay at a place that doesn't have it on the website- yes. It's just morbid curiosity to me! :)
penelope said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
You would stay but you would CALL and speak to them first.
teeth_smile.gif

Every innkeeper does his or her thing, we all have our reasons for what we do. But this forum is a GEM for turning over rocks every once in a while. By the way - everyone who encouraged me to get a guest fridge - so far it has collected plenty of left overs...thank you very much!

NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
In other words, you don't always know what works or does not because people won't always say something. Maybe those who want to see a bit of info about the innkeepers close the browser and move on to the next B&B on their list or in the area?
This is always a false assumption that is we have a room booked then everything must be great. There is always room for improvement. Like mentioned our websites just like our B&B's are continually evolving. We are forced to change when change is necessary.
And of course, we realize we cannot be all things to all people. We know that. Not every guest wants 100% privacy and alone time just like not every guest wants to be entertained by the innkeepers, so we have to be mind readers. Another one of the hats we wear. :)
So, this is the next question - if there is no innkeeper info on the website are we to assume we will not have much interaction with the innkeeper?
Or is it that nephew Jimmy made the B&B website in High school and he just never included that info, and in reality the innkeepers are very friendly hosts?
What is YOUR assumption when you look at a website? Re innkeeper bio or lackthereof? (meaning something, not necessarily pages worth to bore everyone)
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
I think you have to look at each website differently...does it look professionally done? This is part of what "branding" is about. Does your brand show on the home page? I think ours does. We emphasize private, peaceful, romantic. If I go to another website and it's brand (or lack of) conveys communal, great breakfast with guests interacting, then I I think pictures & bios of the innkeepers are great. But please make it a good picture! I've seen some really bad ones out there.

There is no right or wrong. I do like to see the innkeepers if I am the guests and like wise I think they want to see us. We have a page that they see if we are dorky or not. I really don't like to see mine but I know guests do look at it. I laugh and tell they the reason we put it on is so they can see we are not dorky and they aways get a chuckle out of it.

There is no right or wrong. I do like to see the innkeepers if I am the guests and like wise I think they want to see us. We have a page that they see if we are dorky or not. I really don't like to see mine but I know guests do look at it. I laugh and tell they the reason we put it on is so they can see we are not dorky and they aways get a chuckle out of it..
sandynn said:
There is no right or wrong. I do like to see the innkeepers if I am the guests and like wise I think they want to see us. We have a page that they see if we are dorky or not. I really don't like to see mine but I know guests do look at it. I laugh and tell they the reason we put it on is so they can see we are not dorky and they aways get a chuckle out of it.
I like yours!
I also like Harry's in Canada - he added some other pics but retained the silly one with the wigs which makes me like him and get his sense of humor right away.
The other reason I like to see this is I will come across a website that has an innkeeper and asst innkeeper, meaning someone is HIRED. I prefer not to stay at places with hired innkeepers. They lose the savor.

There is no right or wrong. I do like to see the innkeepers if I am the guests and like wise I think they want to see us. We have a page that they see if we are dorky or not. I really don't like to see mine but I know guests do look at it. I laugh and tell they the reason we put it on is so they can see we are not dorky and they aways get a chuckle out of it..
I doubt that you could look "dorky" unless it was a bad picture
regular_smile.gif
The photo of you & your dh on your site is very welcoming & friendly.
I take notoriously bad pictures imvvho...I'm very self conscious about having my photo taken too, so don't have one on our site. A recent magazine article photo is pretty good, so it may end up on there since my wonderful webmaster has scanned the article for me. Fortunately, our reviews are good and the guests talk about us being decent human beings. lol! We do have a little bio on our "About Us" page but we don't go into our professional credentials, degrees, and that kind of thing. I mean, it's not really relevant to what I'm doing now, is it?? Unless I had a degree in scrubbing toilets or ironing sheets. hahahahahahahaha!

sandynn said:
We have a page that they see if we are dorky or not.
I'm curious. To those innkeepers who have a separate page with your pictures and info about you, have you looked at your web stats to see how many people actually click to that page?

regular_smile.gif
I take notoriously bad pictures imvvho...I'm very self conscious about having my photo taken too, so don't have one on our site. A recent magazine article photo is pretty good, so it may end up on there since my wonderful webmaster has scanned the article for me. Fortunately, our reviews are good and the guests talk about us being decent human beings. lol! We do have a little bio on our "About Us" page but we don't go into our professional credentials, degrees, and that kind of thing. I mean, it's not really relevant to what I'm doing now, is it?? Unless I had a degree in scrubbing toilets or ironing sheets. hahahahahahahaha!
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
Soon you will have earned a bachelor of the bog.

sandynn said:
I'm curious. To those innkeepers who have a separate page with your pictures and info about you, have you looked at your web stats to see how many people actually click to that page?
NW BB said:
sandynn said:
They have to on ours most of the time, it has CONTACT US as the title and links to reviews and other tidbits. We have contact and reservation info on every page, but also that one. I wish I had a cool pic like Samster's to post from a magazine!

NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
If I see no innkeeper info it makes no difference to me. If I see TOO much innkeeper info then I'm concerned I'll be 'cornered' when I arrive. I especially feel that way if there are a lot of religious references or references to lots of social groups or the innkeeper invites guests to join them for social groups. ("Hey, we square dance every Thursday in the barn out back, hope you'll join us!")

NW BB said:
penelope said:
NW BB said:
If I see no innkeeper info it makes no difference to me. If I see TOO much innkeeper info then I'm concerned I'll be 'cornered' when I arrive. I especially feel that way if there are a lot of religious references or references to lots of social groups or the innkeeper invites guests to join them for social groups. ("Hey, we square dance every Thursday in the barn out back, hope you'll join us!")
Same here - I look at it if it is there but it doesn't matter if it's not. Oversharing is bad. I never thought much about it until we had guests who said they always look for that. Not for a good reason, as it turned out, but they mentioned it.

Back