What amenities do you provide

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IronGate

Reaction score
I know this kind of overlaps a recent thread about amenities, but my question is "what DO you provide?" Obviously soap, but what else? Shampoo, conditioner? Is conditioning shampoo adequate, or do guests complain about it? Lotion? Mouthwash? Bath crystals? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!

I do offer mainly family style bottles of body wash, shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath for the clawfoot tub. I also have a basket for forgotten items that has some full size bar soap, toothpaste, tooth brush, mouth wash, shower cap, house slipper, bandaids, hand sanitizer.

Dispenser with shampoo, conditioner, shower gel. Hand soap pump. Basket in room with: toothbrushes, toothpaste, deodorant soap, floss, bandaids, shower cap, pads, tampons, make-up remover pads, deodorant, shaving cream, disposable razor, hairspray, hair gel, Q-tips, and whatever else I find and stick in there.
In each room we provide: iron, ironing board, pitcher, glasses, corkscrew, wine glasses, cork, hair dryer, make up mirror, desk & chair, flat screen TV, and 2-3 robes.
=)
Kk.

We provided shampoo, conditioner, soap.
In the bathroom drawer of the sink we had supply of toothbrushes, toothpaste, dental floss, bandaids, shower cap, tampons, make-up remover pads, shaving cream, disposable razor, hairspray, Q-tips, sewing kit, first aid kit, combs and brushes..Great from the $1Dollar store.
I also had a basket of Bath & Body works products, shower gel, lotion, body spray, bath crystals, bubble bath etc.
We also provided iron, ironing board, pitcher, glasses, corkscrew, wine glasses, hair dryer, curling iron, make up mirror, luggage racks, easy chair or two, TV, and robes, battery candles, CD player/ radio / alarm

We have a dispenser with liquid bath gel, shampoo and conditioner. The dispenser makes cleaning easier for me and less stuff to store and small bottles to toss. We also have a dispenser with liquid hand soap and lotion at the sink. In addition I provide small wrapped homemade soaps for those who must use bar soap. (I mostly find these untouched or they disappear when the guests leave.)
Other in room amentiites include hair dryer, cable TV w/DVD player, extra pillows, blankets, ice bucket w/glasses and water pitcher.
Other amenities available and easy accessable:
  • iron & board (I keep 2 each for my 5 rooms)
  • Common area w/ guest refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, tea pot, cups, plates, wine glasses, cork skrews, etc.
  • DVD collection
  • toothbrushes and other necessities
  • We have a portable work desk for use in any room for bus. clients

In bathroom amenities: glycerine facial soap bar & Bath & Body Works hand pump soap at sink; individual lotion, shampoo, conditioner, bath salts or bath fizzies or bubble bath, and bath soap; travel toothpaste, travel mouthwash, dental floss, emery board, cosmetic pads, q-tips, disposable razor, shower cap, make-up mirror, hair dryer, shoe shine cloth, lint roller, facial tissues, a container with sanitary liners, pads, tampons, and paper bags for soiled sanitary items.
In the bedroom: sewing kit, first aid kit, another box of facial tissues, emergency flashlight, deck of playing cards, maybe a crossword book, current magazines, glass drinking glasses, iron/board, spray water bottle with iron, notepad, pen, extra pillows, blanket, monogrammed waffle bathrobes (they're new & I love them), turndown chocolates, fresh flowers.
In a central area (some rooms have coffee makers & beverages might be in an in-room fridge): Cokes, bottled water, single-cup coffee maker, 24 hour tea/coffee service, a basket with stuff people might need or forgot (eyeglass repair kit, tweezers, toothbrushes, static spray, shave gel, his & hers deodorant, and other stuff that I pick up that looks interesting.
Of course we have TVs, clock radios/CD players/iPod docks, DVD/VHS players in each room. I've probably forgotten some things - I try to have everything so that the guests don't feel like they need to bug us for stuff.
teeth_smile.gif

About the bathroom soaps, shampoos, etc. - I've been trying out different brands. I'm really picky about how easy it is for the shampoo to come out of the bottle. Also, I've found that cello wrapped soaps work out well, as you usually don't have to toss them if the get wet but are not used.

Looking at these lists I am beginning to think no wonder we don't make any money. You folks are providing a LOT more than the hotels are in some instances. I have no memory of finding a supply of soda or bottled water in a room nor a guest fridge in anything other than a suite (comped as part of a job, trust me).
I have good soap in dispensers as well as shampoo & conditioner and lotion. I have robes in the closets (this started because I was 3 with shared and no streakers thank you very much) and have hair dryers because I consider that standard. There is bubble bath in the bathroom with the claw-foot tub. I have nice linens and towels - as good as I could afford at the time so I would not have to keep replacing them - and I do have fruit baskets on the dressers. Need a sewing kit? I have needles and thread in a sewing stand in the Library and there are some needles & thread in the antique pin cushion on the dresser in my "best" room only because I picked it up at an antique store because I liked it and did not know where else to put it. (A guest did actually thank me for having it a couple weeks ago.) I think maybe the reason guests are starting to take whatever is there is because we put out so many amenities that they think they are supposed to take them.
I put a carnation in a vase in each room because I like it. Some of you sound as if you have the beauty aids department of the drug store in your rooms. What happened to if you need it, bring it. if you forgot it, go buy it.
I am actually upgrading my robes - thank you whoever it was that told us about Suite Repose. I got 12 years out of my original robes and most of them still had life in them. I hope these last as long (as if I am going to - lol).
Why do we think we have to provide everything they could possibly want? I personally will spend my dollars on the food I serve and provide service - yes, I will iron that shirt because I do not have 20 guests who will need a shirt ironed and it is something that I can do that will cost me time but not dollars - and I do have more time than dollars at the moment. Besides, the service impresses the heck out of them.

i provide 'conditioning shampoo' ... as a generalization, what i notice is that most female guests bring their own shampoo and conditioner ... most men guests use what i provide. all guests tend to bring styling aids and big ziplock bags of various things. we have hair dryers, lots of guests bring their own.
i provide body wash (very popular) and little bars of soap at the sink, bigger bars of soap for tub or shower. have noticed more guests bringing their own soap lately.
first year i provided lotion in small plastic bottles. most guests took it home with them. rarely found empty lotion in the trash - i stopped providing lotion. i have some on each floor in the 'necessaries basket' along with a few toothbrushes, dental floss, sewing kit, razers, bandaids, individually wrapped cotton swabs, tampons, odds and ends, samples that come.*
we just have a couple cork screws in the library between the coffee set up and the microwave, along with a bottle/can opener, acrylic wine glasses, mugs, coffee stirrers. the usual assortment.
*i don't provide all these things in each room, it's just not economically feasible for me. so just a few 'in case' ... in the basket in a central location on each floor.

Looking at these lists I am beginning to think no wonder we don't make any money. You folks are providing a LOT more than the hotels are in some instances. I have no memory of finding a supply of soda or bottled water in a room nor a guest fridge in anything other than a suite (comped as part of a job, trust me).
I have good soap in dispensers as well as shampoo & conditioner and lotion. I have robes in the closets (this started because I was 3 with shared and no streakers thank you very much) and have hair dryers because I consider that standard. There is bubble bath in the bathroom with the claw-foot tub. I have nice linens and towels - as good as I could afford at the time so I would not have to keep replacing them - and I do have fruit baskets on the dressers. Need a sewing kit? I have needles and thread in a sewing stand in the Library and there are some needles & thread in the antique pin cushion on the dresser in my "best" room only because I picked it up at an antique store because I liked it and did not know where else to put it. (A guest did actually thank me for having it a couple weeks ago.) I think maybe the reason guests are starting to take whatever is there is because we put out so many amenities that they think they are supposed to take them.
I put a carnation in a vase in each room because I like it. Some of you sound as if you have the beauty aids department of the drug store in your rooms. What happened to if you need it, bring it. if you forgot it, go buy it.
I am actually upgrading my robes - thank you whoever it was that told us about Suite Repose. I got 12 years out of my original robes and most of them still had life in them. I hope these last as long (as if I am going to - lol).
Why do we think we have to provide everything they could possibly want? I personally will spend my dollars on the food I serve and provide service - yes, I will iron that shirt because I do not have 20 guests who will need a shirt ironed and it is something that I can do that will cost me time but not dollars - and I do have more time than dollars at the moment. Besides, the service impresses the heck out of them..
One of the reasons that I provide so much is that I want to be a notch above the other B&Bs here in terms of amenities & service. Also, we are 90 minutes from the closest major airport. Ask Bree & JBJ how those amenities came in handy with delayed flights & no luggage!! Most of our stores close up at 10 pm. A guest without a rental car who arrives late by airport shuttle is out of luck.
I've found that our guests only use what they need. Many of them don't use hardly any of the the doo dads. There has been only one guest who cleaned out everything & that was in the central supply area. i did notice that guests were taking the travel toothbrushes that I had in their amenity container in the bathrooms. I think they thought they were cute or something. I no longer put those out in the bathrooms, I just have individually packaged regular size toothbrushes in the central areas now.
Most of our guests comment on how we've thought of everything for them, which makes me very happy.
teeth_smile.gif

I also go all out for breakfast because I love to cook!

Samster I agree with c a couple B&B's fairly closeby to you there is a need to be different than they are.

Here's a short list
  • In Bathrooms:
    Lord & Mayfair Lotion, shower cap, bar soap, bath salts, vanity kit & sewing kit
    Eye make-up and face cleaning cloths
    Dispensers for soap & shampoo / conditioner in the shower
    "stick-on" make up mirrors
    Hair dryers
    Paper mouthwash / pill cups
    ...... and of course a rubber ducky with a red bow around his neck
  • In closets:
    Robes
    Ironing boards & irons
    Fans
    Beach towels
    Canvas Tote
  • In Rooms
    Bottled water
    Glasses (I color co-ordinate with the rooms)
    Corkscrew
    Playing cards
    a/c
  • Common areas
    candy with and without sugar
    Fridge with assorted sodas
    Umbrellas / Walking sticks
    Good quality rain gear
    Fleece blankets
    Old fashioned picnic blankets
    Huge DVD collection
    Paperback "Help yourself" library
    Board Games / crosswords / soduku / guide books / bird books etc
    Single serve coffee / tea maker
    folding chairs
    back packs / coolers
    nuts to crack
    TV / DVD / VCR
All the rooms have the obvious luggage racks, tissues, alarm clocks, tables and either a sofa or a couple of wing back chairs.
I DON'T leave toothpaste, toothbrushes, deo, tampons etc in the rooms, but I have a welcome note that says these things are available if they need them and all they have to do is ask.
I provide ice buckets, cheese boards etc on request ...
Side note: people that stay here are generally are exceptionally respectful of only taking what they need and it's my one time purchases (ie the rain gear as opposed to the items that would need to be replaced) that people take advantage of.
My favorite - XMAS !!!!! I put a real tree in all the rooms and gifts for the guests under the tree. Honestly - that's primarily for my enjoyment. I spend the entire year looking out for well-priced items to wrap.

Here's a short list
  • In Bathrooms:
    Lord & Mayfair Lotion, shower cap, bar soap, bath salts, vanity kit & sewing kit
    Hair dryers
  • In closets:
    Robes
    Ironing boards & irons
    Fans
    Beach towels
    Canvas Tote
  • In Rooms
    Bottled water
    Corkscrew
    Playing cards
    a/c
  • Common areas
    Good quality rain gear
    Fleece blankets
    Huge DVD collection
    folding chairs
    back packs / coolers
    nuts to crack
    TV / DVD / VCR
All the rooms have the obvious luggage racks, tissues, alarm clocks, tables and either a sofa or a couple of wing back chairs.
I DON'T leave toothpaste, toothbrushes, deo, tampons etc in the rooms, but I have a welcome note that says these things are available if they need them and all they have to do is ask.
Side note: people that stay here are generally are exceptionally respectful of only taking what they need and it's my one time purchases (ie the rain gear as opposed to the items that would need to be replaced) that people take advantage of.
My favorite - XMAS !!!!! I put a real tree in all the rooms and gifts for the guests under the tree. Honestly - that's primarily for my enjoyment. I spend the entire year looking out for well-priced items to wrap..
Oh, yeah...I forgot our rubber duckies in the bathrooms :)
I'm getting ready to order some assorted ones from Oriental Trader to go with the rooms. They're pretty cute! haha! I'm just a big kid at heart sometimes.
teeth_smile.gif

We have all that other stuff too: wine glasses, corkscrews, golf umbrellas by the doors in each house, (I have some of those disposable ponchos that I can offer as well), and I have some other stuff ready if someone really needs it: combs, brushes, curling iron, clothes steamer, etc., etc.
I don't know how you get all that holiday stuff up in all the rooms...I think I'll be lucky to get the decorations up in the common areas!

Here's a short list
  • In Bathrooms:
    Hair dryers
  • In closets:
    Robes
    Ironing boards & irons
    Fans
    Beach towels
    Canvas Tote
  • In Rooms
    Bottled water
    Corkscrew
    Playing cards
    a/c
  • Common areas
    Good quality rain gear
    Fleece blankets
    Huge DVD collection
    folding chairs
    back packs / coolers
    nuts to crack
    TV / DVD / VCR
My favorite - XMAS !!!!! I put a real tree in all the rooms and gifts for the guests under the tree. Honestly - that's primarily for my enjoyment. I spend the entire year looking out for well-priced items to wrap..
I'm getting ready to order some assorted ones from Oriental Trader to go with the rooms. They're pretty cute! haha! I'm just a big kid at heart sometimes.
teeth_smile.gif

We have all that other stuff too: wine glasses, corkscrews, golf umbrellas by the doors in each house, (I have some of those disposable ponchos that I can offer as well), and I have some other stuff ready if someone really needs it: combs, brushes, curling iron, clothes steamer, etc., etc.
I don't know how you get all that holiday stuff up in all the rooms...I think I'll be lucky to get the decorations up in the common areas!
LOL - we have a gourmet store called "Quacks" .... I love, love, love those rubber duckies from OTC. I really need to order some more. They are getting incredibly inventive with their motifs.

Here's a short list
  • In Bathrooms:
    Hair dryers
  • In closets:
    Robes
    Ironing boards & irons
    Fans
    Beach towels
    Canvas Tote
  • In Rooms
    Bottled water
    Corkscrew
    Playing cards
    a/c
  • Common areas
    Good quality rain gear
    Fleece blankets
    Huge DVD collection
    folding chairs
    back packs / coolers
    nuts to crack
    TV / DVD / VCR
teeth_smile.gif

LOL - we have a gourmet store called "Quacks" .... I love, love, love those rubber duckies from OTC. I really need to order some more. They are getting incredibly inventive with their motifs.
I know! I couldn't believe it. I used to order from them for school fairs when the kids were young. I just started getting their catalog for some reason. There's a lot of cute "junk" in there. :)

Good list here.
The shampoo and/or conditioning shampoo, and soap dispensers (from frontgate.com -- good, quality ones) are the best. I think it's much easier than baskets, and the guests love them, cause they are different and shine up so nice and clean.
No mouthwash, toothpaste or deodorant. All our guests bring their own.
If you have especially nice sheets, towels, a sitting area in the room, a library of books, a pick-up service from bus or train stations, especially great breakfasts -- I would mention all of these -- anything that you think is special about your B&B.

IronGate said:
I know this kind of overlaps a recent thread about amenities, but my question is "what DO you provide?" Obviously soap, but what else? Shampoo, conditioner? Is conditioning shampoo adequate, or do guests complain about it? Lotion? Mouthwash? Bath crystals? Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance!
# of rooms and cost of room rates will help dictate what you will provide. Also what they use most often.
For $115 I am not providing a full amenity line for our guests. If you have jacuzzi tubs then bath amenities would be nice. Most guests bring their own toiletries.
Then you have to pick and choose. Do you think it is nice to provide conditioner and bath crystals or complimentary sodas? Seriousely the cost will be the same but what adds more "perceived" value to their stay?
When we stayed in PA with a former innkeeper who has since sold his place, he walked us right in opened the guest fridge and bent over to retrieve and hand us a soda or can of iced tea or snapple etc. He didn't really tell us about it and point to it 'help yourselves' like I do. He knew we had been driving like 6 hours and said "WHICH ONE?"
My husband thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread! I am not kidding. He immediately felt welcomed in this B&B and he liked that. Altho DH lives in a B&B and helps operate one, he is still not super comfortable visiting some of them. He loved the casualness of this act. To him that was extreme value and hospitality.

IronGate said:
Thanks in advance!
# of rooms and cost of room rates will help dictate what you will provide. Also what they use most often.
For $115 I am not providing a full amenity line for our guests. If you have jacuzzi tubs then bath amenities would be nice. Most guests bring their own toiletries.
Then you have to pick and choose. Do you think it is nice to provide conditioner and bath crystals or complimentary sodas? Seriousely the cost will be the same but what adds more "perceived" value to their stay?
When we stayed in PA with a former innkeeper who has since sold his place, he walked us right in opened the guest fridge and bent over to retrieve and hand us a soda or can of iced tea or snapple etc. He didn't really tell us about it and point to it 'help yourselves' like I do. He knew we had been driving like 6 hours and said "WHICH ONE?"
My husband thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread! I am not kidding. He immediately felt welcomed in this B&B and he liked that. Altho DH lives in a B&B and helps operate one, he is still not super comfortable visiting some of them. He loved the casualness of this act. To him that was extreme value and hospitality..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
For $115 I am not providing a full amenity line for our guests....
My husband thought that was the greatest thing ... He immediately felt welcomed ... To him that was extreme value and hospitality.
JBJ brings about 2 great points. Your rates should dictate what amentiites you provide. After testing your market place and your competitors, you will be better able to decide what amenities would attract more guests or be a return visit selling point. As JBJ mentioned, some amenities (along with the personal touch) will say it all.

IronGate said:
Thanks in advance!
My husband thought that was the greatest thing since sliced bread! I am not kidding. He immediately felt welcomed in this B&B and he liked that. Altho DH lives in a B&B and helps operate one, he is still not super comfortable visiting some of them. He loved the casualness of this act. To him that was extreme value and hospitality..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
For $115 I am not providing a full amenity line for our guests....
My husband thought that was the greatest thing ... He immediately felt welcomed ... To him that was extreme value and hospitality.
JBJ brings about 2 great points. Your rates should dictate what amentiites you provide. After testing your market place and your competitors, you will be better able to decide what amenities would attract more guests or be a return visit selling point. As JBJ mentioned, some amenities (along with the personal touch) will say it all.
i was thinking about amenities and thought sure i'd bought shower caps when we first opened. but i've never had them for the guests.
quiet day today, only three rooms (feels like vacation!) and i went and rummaged in a third floor storage closet. shower caps! in little brown cardboard envelopes. jeez!
now THAT was money foolishly spent since i never gave them to guests ....
ran around putting them in all the rooms and in the necessaries baskets.
shower cap, anyone?
wink_smile.gif

IronGate said:
Thanks in advance!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
He immediately felt welcomed in this B&B and he liked that.
I wanted to post on this anyway... thanks for sharing that story.
Years ago I learned that when you go to a job interview you should always, at some point and in your own words, ask for the job. Because an interviewer, when presented with two very similar candidates, will give the job to the one who seems to want it, and to want to work there. I've tried it and it really does work.
I've recently realized that I'm doing something similar as an innkeeper. When taking a reservation I say, we're glad you're coming, we look forward to having you here, etc. When they arrive it's more typical, it's nice to meet you, we're glad you're here. When they leave it's, thanks for coming, we're glad you were here, we hope you can come again someday.
I don't have any way to measure if it works, but I think it's similar to the job interview thing... guests want to feel welcome, appreciated, and wanted. When we express gratitude and happiness about their presence, I think they appreciate it and feel more comfortable.
=)
Kk.

IronGate said:
Thanks in advance!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Years ago I learned that when you go to a job interview you should always, at some point and in your own words, ask for the job. Because an interviewer, when presented with two very similar candidates, will give the job to the one who seems to want it, and to want to work there. I've tried it and it really does work.
I've recently realized that I'm doing something similar as an innkeeper. When taking a reservation I say, we're glad you're coming, we look forward to having you here, etc. When they arrive it's more typical, it's nice to meet you, we're glad you're here. When they leave it's, thanks for coming, we're glad you were here, we hope you can come again someday.
I don't have any way to measure if it works, but I think it's similar to the job interview thing... guests want to feel welcome, appreciated, and wanted. When we express gratitude and happiness about their presence, I think they appreciate it and feel more comfortable.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
=)
Kk.
I'm not as good with newcomers, but I generally stick my head out the door and yell to repeats, 'Hey, you're here! Good to see you!'

Back