What are our rights?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooseberry

Reaction score
This one is a tough one and I don't know how to handle this situation.
2 nights ago I had a couple staying in the room with the "newest" bathroom. In the morning, first my hubby had to go up with the plunger....a huge wad of toilet paper...( they had a little dog, getting rid of evidence?? ) then she went out to the car to get a huge water jug. I never saw her filling it in the kitchen. While I was in the room down the hall from them, cleaning, I heard some commotion, like someone keeps trying to put the lid onto the tank of the toilet. You know, that "porcellain" sound. I went downstairs and had my hubby listen too, from below the bathroom and we could hear water dripping inside the wall...I went back upstairs to see if they were still at it.
I could not make out everything what was said, but I did hear him clearly saying, " There, you can't even tell." Then he took a shower. I know it was him since she came out of the room...I asked her if everything was allright, and she said yes, there were no problems. I really wanted to go in the bathroom, but he was still showering and I think it is just not cool to go in the room while the guests are still there.
As soon as they checked out of the room, I went up and inspected. No water on the floor that I could see, but I found the toilet tank ad a slow drip. I also sa black skid mark looking marks on top of the white sink. I kept looking and feeling, I found it...the toilet tank ad a hairline crack from the handle all the way down and across the bottom.
I went downstairs and told hubs to go check it too. The guests were still there and I just asked them if they had dropped anything in the bathroom and I told them what I had found. Again, denial. They had nooo idea.
My scenario is this...they filled up that huge water jug with cups, it slipped, thhus the marks on the sink, then slammed on top of the toilet tank with enough force to push the top onto the tank and cause the crack.
Accidents happen, but gee, admit to it if they do.
Now I would like to know if we have any rights for damages since I cannot proove anything.
But we all know, we clean our stuff and we know what shape it's in...
I am so mad.....grrrrrr
How would you have handled the situation?

What the heck would they want toilet water??
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Too late now to do anything but I guess for future reference, hearing all the commotion and having already had to attend to the room once before, I would have knocked immediately and said there was water running down the wall downstairs and I needed to check the bathroom right now before there was more damage done.
If nothing, I would have apologized for disturbing them. If something, I would then have to figure out what to do.
My guess is, if you tried to charge them they would say your dh broke something when he plunged the toilet. And cc companies don't like you charging guests for 'damage'. (From what I have heard.)

They did not want toiletwater, silly....they had the jug on top of the sink right next to the toilet. because the jug was too big for under the faucet in the sink, I guess they filled it with tap water one cup at a time.
regular_smile.gif

They did not want toiletwater, silly....they had the jug on top of the sink right next to the toilet. because the jug was too big for under the faucet in the sink, I guess they filled it with tap water one cup at a time.
regular_smile.gif

OHHHH!!
embaressed_smile.gif
I thought they took the lid off and was filling their jug with the water in the tank......Then I thought well maybe they needed it for their car, maybe it over-heats.....

regular_smile.gif

OHHHH!!
embaressed_smile.gif
I thought they took the lid off and was filling their jug with the water in the tank......Then I thought well maybe they needed it for their car, maybe it over-heats.....
You are so funny
teeth_smile.gif

Thanks for showing me the brighter side of this
wink_smile.gif

We have the right to charge room and tax, say no to most animals (including 2-legged in most cases) and smile when guests walk all over us. The credit card companies and the lawmakers have stacked the deck against us. Neither we nor our families have the right to have allergies to say no.
Sorry about the problem with the toilet tank. A few years ago, ALL my kids and grandkids came in at the same time. There was so much "activity" that the previous toilet could nad hols up to the beating it got. A leak developed between the tank and the bowl. Yahooo, it gave me the excuse to replace it and I did with a handicap height. If it is not handicap height, use the opportunity to make it more "user" friendly. I get a lot of older guests who appreciate the extra height.

I never know how I handle it til it happens. Stuff happens and your face can get all red as people try to cover up or never say anything. If they say something then that is half the battle.

Yikers!
Well, guest in the shower or not...I would have knocked on the guest room door when I heard the water. We had water coming through our dining room ceiling when a guest was using a one person jetted tub in one of our rooms. Well, they had too much water in the tub & it was going down the overflow. Turned out there was a tiny leak in the overflow = water in the ceiling...drip, drip, drip. My dh went up immediately (I actually was not home) & told the guests the problem. She got out of the tub & of course said she didn't overfill it but it happens. Plumber came out the next day & fixed the overflow (which my dh probably could have done but he couldn't see the leak but the plumber found it). Our plumber prides himself that he never has any leaks, so wouldn't even take any $$ but we gave him gas money
regular_smile.gif
Could we charge the guest for damages? No. It was our leak.
Your scenario...how could you prove that the tank didn't have the crack before those guests were in there?
We just had some damages in a room & are kind of in the same boat. I do have guests sign a check-in registration form which states our No Smoking Policy and they'll be charged for any signs of smoking, also for damages. But my guess is if the guests contest the charge you'd have to have some kind of documentation to prove their responsibility. This is a tough situation.

Back