What are the legal requirements regarding foreign guests visiting the USA?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Canada and the USA certainly don't require that accommodation operators look at a passport or anything else for that matter. Most of my guests were from overseas. Some countries are required by their laws to ask for a passport for their police. I've had to give my passport over quite often when I travel. Some people show their passports for ID or because they are asked for in their own country.

PT - or as the sign near us used to say "Cash gladly accepted with ID"

YOU ask for passports? What are you the immigration at the airport now? HA HA
The reason people hand you their passports is it is a universal ID. That is all. Sure they have other forms of ID, but the passport is the one that YOU will recognize and accept.
On the same subject, do we require proof of person for ANY OF OUR GUESTS? If so, why? Wondering if there is a law out there that states Mr & Mrs John Doe show id? I have never heard of one. Interesting subject..
Joey Bloggs said:
YOU ask for passports? What are you the immigration at the airport now? HA HA
The reason people hand you their passports is it is a universal ID. That is all. Sure they have other forms of ID, but the passport is the one that YOU will recognize and accept.
On the same subject, do we require proof of person for ANY OF OUR GUESTS? If so, why? Wondering if there is a law out there that states Mr & Mrs John Doe show id? I have never heard of one. Interesting subject.
I asked this because when I was in Italy, I was made to present my documents to the facility where I was staying. They made photo copies and they wanted my information immediately. I wasn't even staying for an extended (90 days) period of time. Just not sure what is required here.
Apparently the rest of the world is supposed to report to their local authorities who is staying with them. At least that was what I read when trying to find out more info for your situation. There's nothing like that here.
Morticia said:
Apparently the rest of the world is supposed to report to their local authorities who is staying with them. At least that was what I read when trying to find out more info for your situation. There's nothing like that here.
I believe it is also a system to assist police in case of crime, that people can be tracked. Also in case of a health emergency. I have no problem with copies being made of my passport when I travel. I have been told, though, that when one travels it is a good idea to have a copy of your passport in another place. Stolen American passports are worth a lot of money. And if yours is stolen, when you go to the embassy, it really helps them and you to have a copy of yours.
RIki

Back