What are we?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boomer

Reaction score
I have a been reading this site for may months, and have been wondering what I have/might have to offer. And, I'll tell you why. I am not sure how to truly define the terms Inn, B&B or small hotel. I read a lot of great comments from all of you, but wonder how to correctly answer or contribute. Let me explain my dilema:
What exacly are we - Can someone other than myself contribute to the following questions:
1 - B&B Vs Inn
* I think an Inn is a B&B with a restaurant and or bar
2 - Hobby B&B
* Stamp collecting is a hobby - not cleaning bathrooms - so nobody has a Hobby B&B
3 - If (you believe the stats) 95% of travelers search google for area hotels and 5% search for B&Bs' are we not truly limiting ourselves demographically? - Why not market our properies as small hotels?
Before I continue with more information, I want to see if I am out of place here If so I will just keep reading and keep quiet :)

There is really, Boomer, no standard. Some states or regional associations have their own descriptions as do the major B&B directories.
Some think of an inn as a medium-sized B&B of 7 rooms or more. Some consider all B&Bs inns. Some don't consider any of them inns. There are as many interpretations of that out there as there are organizations/associations.
I generally call them all inns but realize that small B&Bs of 4 or less rooms often don't think of themselves that way.
Such is the nature of the B&B industry. It's all about individuality and each innkeeper brings a different perspective to that.
Now, as to whether B&Bs should advertise as hotels or not, I don't think they should. I think folks should basically be what they are and not try to be something else. Same goes for motels. I know some lovely boutique motels that serve a great niche market. But it's one of my pet peeves to see them rename themselves as hotels or as B&Bs when they still are basically a motel: rooms lined up in a row, accessed via a parking lot.
I think any small inn (or B&B or country inn, take your pick of names) should market their own best features and, generally speaking, that's their small size, unique offerings, and personal hospitality offered up by a live-in innkeeper.
I think there's much that can be learned from hotels. I also think there's a lot about hotels that's generally irrelevant because the goal/mission/whatever is often quite different from a small inn. Small inns generally exist to fulfill a dream of providing gracious hospitality. Profitability is important, of course, but quality of life is usually the greatest concern.
To me, that's what sets them apart.

Inn to me is 7 rooms or larger if they wish to call themselves that.
I think Hobby means "We'll retire and host a few guests" and then have no idea the work/overhead involved in even that.
B&B definitely needs to serve a FULL breakfast, not a bagel or continental, I think those who call themselves B&B's need to 'step up to the plate' so to speak. :)
Good food for thought Boomer! Thanks for sharing, carry on...the more the merrier here.

I know that many times I will describe our Inn as a small hotel. We have 12 rooms and a business office but our sign says B&B and that is what we truly are but when I hear a business person having trouble with the term B&B I quickly describe us as a small hotel. Once they stay, they usually are converted.
To straight advertise as a hotel, the guest might not get what they are expecting and we might not get the caliber of guest we are expecting.

As Innkeepr said, the definitions are as different as there are B&Bs but if the state has guidelines those are the ones that at least prevail in that state. In FL for example, the state banned the use of B&B branding with hotels as they stated it infringed on the B&B market. (some big hotel chains had started adding the words bed and breakfast under their logo).
As far as marketing goes, I do advertise on the pay-per-click on google search on the hotel page for my area. I do not put myself as a hotel though I list as a B&B, thus trying to place some light that I am here. I do this as I do think there are people who stay at B&B's for getaways or romantic special occasions but do not think of them when they are going to visit their sister or some friends. But once they do a search for hotel in my city, and my name pops up a light comes on... It just changes their thought process a little. And for those that have never stayed at a B&B, it may add more B&B lovers.
BTW - jump in with comments when ever you feel like it. I like different ideas and ways of thinking... it keeps me thinking out of the box.

Inn to me is 7 rooms or larger if they wish to call themselves that.
I think Hobby means "We'll retire and host a few guests" and then have no idea the work/overhead involved in even that.
B&B definitely needs to serve a FULL breakfast, not a bagel or continental, I think those who call themselves B&B's need to 'step up to the plate' so to speak. :)
Good food for thought Boomer! Thanks for sharing, carry on...the more the merrier here..
Joey Bloggs said:
BTW, the breakfast plate photo on your most recent blog post is BEAUTIFUL! You should really feature that somewhere in a larger size. It made me want to check-in just to taste it.

I have 8 rooms and a 9th that we converted into a spa, due to high demand, two restaurants and a Bar. We are Chef owners from NY and our main stay is the food (obviously) All rooms redone to fit todays travelers. BUT, here is my point:
2005-2007 spent $30k on marketing as a B&B (we are city folk -sounded good)
occ Rate was 35%
2008-2009 - I changed my marketing due to economy to $7k and focused on the terms "Botique Hotel" = well, I spent less money and increased OCC to 42%. We have maintained that level since. Out avg age went from 50+ to 25+ with a higher level of income (that age is not thinking of retirement)
I will write more in interested...don't want to be a bore (sp)

why do you say $30k is too much? did you forget the daily newspapers for the restaurant? @ $75 per week? and we also have a golf course - I did not expose all info, but it is clear on the website. Not sure about your location, but and Add in the NYT or Boston Globe runes 3-$400

why do you say $30k is too much? did you forget the daily newspapers for the restaurant? @ $75 per week? and we also have a golf course - I did not expose all info, but it is clear on the website. Not sure about your location, but and Add in the NYT or Boston Globe runes 3-$400.
I see there is no spell checker on this forum :) sorry for the typos

why do you say $30k is too much? did you forget the daily newspapers for the restaurant? @ $75 per week? and we also have a golf course - I did not expose all info, but it is clear on the website. Not sure about your location, but and Add in the NYT or Boston Globe runes 3-$400.
Boomer, you should see all the typos I end up editing! I blame it on the mercury.
But you bring up a good point. You're marketing not just an inn but a restaurant. 2 restaurants! So yes, you're going to need to spend more money than a typical inn without all that.
How wonderful though, that folks have discovered you now and you can chop that marketing budget down like that!

Boomer said:
Henry Ward Beecher said
“I don't like these cold, precise, perfect people, who, in order not to speak wrong, never speak at all, and in order not to do wrong, never do anything”[/h1]typos rul.
cheers.gif

I originally thought the same about the $30k but now that you mention advertising the restaurant, golf course as well as the B&B, it doesn't take my breath away.
Interested in knowing if your ads in the NYT & Boston Globe paid off for you, B&B wise. You are a different nitch than I am and considering your location papers (such as these) may just pay off as the ones you are marketing to fit your market perfectly.
It just goes to tell everyone that we do not all fit the same mold - even with marketing...

I have 8 rooms and a 9th that we converted into a spa, due to high demand, two restaurants and a Bar. We are Chef owners from NY and our main stay is the food (obviously) All rooms redone to fit todays travelers. BUT, here is my point:
occ Rate was 35%
2008-2009 - I changed my marketing due to economy to $7k and focused on the terms "Botique Hotel" = well, I spent less money and increased OCC to 42%. We have maintained that level since. Out avg age went from 50+ to 25+ with a higher level of income (that age is not thinking of retirement)
I will write more in interested...don't want to be a bore (sp).
Boomer, I'll have to say that just based on the bar and 2 restaurants onsite, that your place certainly sounds more like a boutique hotel than a B&B.
So in advertising yourselves that way, you'd attract guests who were looking for those sorts of things being onsite. B&Bs may have some of that onsite but, generally speaking, most don't. Folks looking for a smaller B&B environment don't always want all that activity at the inn.
IMHO, it sounds like by promoting your inn for just what it is, you found your niche! And that's always wonderful.
BTW, I'll have to say that $30K in marketing for an 8 room inn sounds a bit exorbitant. Happy to hear you've found success with a more reasonable marketing budget!
Edited to add:
Boomer just looked at your website and your place is just lovely. I'd definitely say that fits into what I'd call either a country inn or a boutique hotel. What is that peeking out from the scallops on the photo? Pork bellies? Bacon? Whatever it is, it looks divine - and I so hope you'll post the recipe for it here!

I originally thought the same about the $30k but now that you mention advertising the restaurant, golf course as well as the B&B, it doesn't take my breath away.
Interested in knowing if your ads in the NYT & Boston Globe paid off for you, B&B wise. You are a different nitch than I am and considering your location papers (such as these) may just pay off as the ones you are marketing to fit your market perfectly.
It just goes to tell everyone that we do not all fit the same mold - even with marketing...
Exactly, this forum has a unique mix of hospitality groups. I am 3 hrs from Montreal, 3 hrs from boston and 5 hrs from NY. in order to access each market in competition to the major hotels, we need to address each market accordingly. Recogniving, we have more to offer thana typical B&B, we are still nonetheless considered a B&B, and have the same issues addressing the B&B community Vs the Big guys, like it or not.

occ Rate was 35%
See, you found what worked in your niche for what you provide.
I have 7 rooms, no restaurant, no spa, no bar so for me to even hint at 'hotel' or 'boutique' would be a complete let down.
That you were able to raise your occ and spend less money doing it is very wise.
You've found your market. Go for it!
Now, my B&B has 'inn' in the name so I can attest to the fact that a LOT of guests think that means I serve something other than breakfast. So, 'inn' means something to the traveling public. What it doesn't seem to mean, tho, is breakfast! I have to explain we do serve breakfast and it is included.
BTW, all those 50+ yos that aren't coming to you anymore? Send them here...they're my market!

Exactly, this forum has a unique mix of hospitality groups. I am 3 hrs from Montreal, 3 hrs from boston and 5 hrs from NY. in order to access each market in competition to the major hotels, we need to address each market accordingly. Recogniving, we have more to offer thana typical B&B, we are still nonetheless considered a B&B, and have the same issues addressing the B&B community Vs the Big guys, like it or not.
Boomer said:
So, what? You're right down the street from me? No, wait, I'm more than 3 hours to Montreal. Vermont? Middlebury?
Never mind, just looked at your profile. Close neighbor, tho! I'm in Maine.

occ Rate was 35%
I have 7 rooms, no restaurant, no spa, no bar so for me to even hint at 'hotel' or 'boutique' would be a complete let down.
That you were able to raise your occ and spend less money doing it is very wise.
Now, my B&B has 'inn' in the name so I can attest to the fact that a LOT of guests think that means I serve something other than breakfast. So, 'inn' means something to the traveling public. What it doesn't seem to mean, tho, is breakfast! I have to explain we do serve breakfast and it is included.
BTW, all those 50+ yos that aren't coming to you anymore? Send them here...they're my market!
I have no idea why the age is lower, but in the last 3 years it has changed. I am just guessing the reason. We love Maine and it was our first choice for an Inn, just did not fine one that worked for us. Problem with NH is getting to the coast of Maine is a major drive, since we really do not have majot highways east-west, otherwise I would spend more time there myself.

occ Rate was 35%
I have no idea why the age is lower, but in the last 3 years it has changed. I am just guessing the reason. We love Maine and it was our first choice for an Inn, just did not fine one that worked for us. Problem with NH is getting to the coast of Maine is a major drive, since we really do not have majot highways east-west, otherwise I would spend more time there myself.
Boomer said:
Boomer, you have terrific yelp reviews so I'm guessing that's a big part of why you're getting a younger crowd. Not a whole lot of them but they're all great. And they start 3 years ago.

Chime in any time Boomer. And a hobby B & B is one who does it when they feel like it (when they are not traveling or have something better to do than tend to guests), is there for friends and family to "come to the beach" for free, but want all the deductions of a "real" business. They are the ones who make it difficult for real B & Bs at tax time.

Back