What are you working on?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent yesterday moving the king bedded room from the second floor to the first and the queen bedded room from the first floor to the second. I'm sore this morning but very pleased.
There was some method in my madness. The king bed was in the smallest room and all the bedding and accents are based on a Waverly porcelain blue. All the trim in the first floor room is blue and it's a really large room ... ipso facto it always made sense to move the larger bed with all the blue accent pieces into the bigger room with the blue trim but I was always "discouraged" by DH because logistically it was never going to be easy.
So, because I'm a stubborn PITA, I decided I could do it by myself and while he was out dealing with the snow ......... Armchairs, bed frames, mattresses, shelves up and down stairs. All the artwork, lampshades, rugs and curtains had to be swapped out and in the end all I needed help with was a solid wood love seat.
Also got our new tankless water heater installed today, so all our rooms are back in business..
Whatever vitamins you take I want some! DH & I just helped friends move an old king set down, and a new one up a log staircase. The old mattress got away from us coming down. I was on the bottom trying to stop the slide, but could barely hold it while it ran up DH's leg, also on the bottom, and flopped over our friends wife. No one got hurt, but good three of us were more or less eaten by the mattress! Can't imagine doing all that solo!
No vitamins, just a destructively strong stubborn streak that I've had since I was born. I blame it on the red hair. I've always been bad at asking for help (which is not a good trait) but when you add someone telling me something can't be done into the mix you're simply asking for trouble.
BTW - still sore this morning but today I get to take new pics and take up the room rate for the new king bed room.
Also, although DH was really PO'd when he found out what I was doing and that I'd really gone too far to turn back, he's now telling everyone how great it looks and how good it will be for the bottom line ..... he's not so happy about the egg size bruise on my arm.
The Tipsy Butler said:
Also, although DH was really PO'd when he found out what I was doing and that I'd really gone too far to turn back, he's now telling everyone how great it looks and how good it will be for the bottom line ..... he's not so happy about the egg size bruise on my arm.
Yes, the old ask forgiveness rather than permission. Sometimes you just have to go ahead with it and damn the consequences.

Spent yesterday moving the king bedded room from the second floor to the first and the queen bedded room from the first floor to the second. I'm sore this morning but very pleased.
There was some method in my madness. The king bed was in the smallest room and all the bedding and accents are based on a Waverly porcelain blue. All the trim in the first floor room is blue and it's a really large room ... ipso facto it always made sense to move the larger bed with all the blue accent pieces into the bigger room with the blue trim but I was always "discouraged" by DH because logistically it was never going to be easy.
So, because I'm a stubborn PITA, I decided I could do it by myself and while he was out dealing with the snow ......... Armchairs, bed frames, mattresses, shelves up and down stairs. All the artwork, lampshades, rugs and curtains had to be swapped out and in the end all I needed help with was a solid wood love seat.
Also got our new tankless water heater installed today, so all our rooms are back in business..
The king mattress? Down the stairs? Mad woman!
I know - but once I get a bee in my bonnet ..... it's a really good mattress too so very heavy. Actually getting the queen UP the stairs was way more difficult .... and as for the armchairs, let's just say that my arm muscles are suffering this morning.
I bow down to you!!!! There's no way I could have done that by myself. BRAVO! Now you should go give yourself a spa day!

Our innkeepers house is finished!! Hmmm....now that I think of it it's not quite finished since we need to tile the bathroom, but that's a project for the spring when we have more revenue coming in.
What a difference...it has totally changed the way I feel about living in our space. We've lived in a "dump" for almost 10 years. New laminate floors, there are finally baseboards, new paint, installed a dishwasher in a space we never thought would have one, new entry door & frame, new slider door for the back door to our deck, new sofa bed for friends and family (we created a "front room" instead of an area that we used for storage).
Last night I bought new big area rugs, drapes and decorative items to put more of our style in the house. Ohhhhh....I bought a new bed ensemble for our bed! No more leftovers from the guest rooms. I'm done with using stained or old stuff from the b&b.
Between upgrading the inn's kitchen to commercial and the upgrades for our OQs, it felt like we were bleeding money. Now I can say that every penny was worth it. The scrimping and saving we'll be doing now won't seem so tough because I appreciate my living space now.

Our innkeepers house is finished!! Hmmm....now that I think of it it's not quite finished since we need to tile the bathroom, but that's a project for the spring when we have more revenue coming in.
What a difference...it has totally changed the way I feel about living in our space. We've lived in a "dump" for almost 10 years. New laminate floors, there are finally baseboards, new paint, installed a dishwasher in a space we never thought would have one, new entry door & frame, new slider door for the back door to our deck, new sofa bed for friends and family (we created a "front room" instead of an area that we used for storage).
Last night I bought new big area rugs, drapes and decorative items to put more of our style in the house. Ohhhhh....I bought a new bed ensemble for our bed! No more leftovers from the guest rooms. I'm done with using stained or old stuff from the b&b.
Between upgrading the inn's kitchen to commercial and the upgrades for our OQs, it felt like we were bleeding money. Now I can say that every penny was worth it. The scrimping and saving we'll be doing now won't seem so tough because I appreciate my living space now..
Breakfast Diva said:
Now I can say that every penny was worth it. The scrimping and saving we'll be doing now won't seem so tough because I appreciate my living space now.
That's it right there! We have to treat ourselves well, too! (I say this I just made my bed with an ink-stained set of sheets from the inn! But I do have 2 new sets of sheets that I also use.) I just ordered new drapes for my bedroom. In a turn about is fair play kind of way, my old drapes are going in the inn. They are perfectly fine, they just don't fit these windows properly and I'm tired of the 5 AM sun poking me in the eye!

The king mattress? Down the stairs? Mad woman!
I know - but once I get a bee in my bonnet ..... it's a really good mattress too so very heavy. Actually getting the queen UP the stairs was way more difficult .... and as for the armchairs, let's just say that my arm muscles are suffering this morning.
I bow down to you!!!! There's no way I could have done that by myself. BRAVO! Now you should go give yourself a spa day!
No - don't do that - it's a pigheadedness that I'm not particularly proud of. As for the spa day - my BIL got me a whole bunch of loverly bath thingamajigs for Xmas :)

Woo Hoo got through my inspection 4 stars! that's it done for the next year.

Woo Hoo got through my inspection 4 stars! that's it done for the next year..
cheers.gif

K-I think that would be a great idea-we had a suite in our B & B and not a two room but a large room with a large bath and sitting area and in our podunk it went for $120/night-plus if you put a daybed in the other room you may be able to reserve it to a family or friends that travel together-the possibilities are endless-if we ever decide to open ours back up we have three rooms upstairs but only one bath, we thought the same thing-one room is connected to another and thought it would make a wonderful two room suite with the third room as an option for a family or group-that way we would not have to put another bathroom upstairs
Good luck!
Congrats Champs! :)
As Innkeepers that dont own our own in at this time, we are working on trying to make our living quarters better although it will help the next innkeeper it will help us too-looking for a king size bed-this queen is just not making it. Plus we are still searching although the relationship with boss is getting better-FOR NOW. We are also thinking of taking over some gardening projects because the garden people are just getting too much $$ and not doing what needs to be done-of course that means more $$ for us which we need right now plus I enjoy it-although missgivings are there about the boss-employee relationship-this keeps us a little apprehensive. Lots on our plate-and still hoping that we may be able to find something more suitible-but if we don't have something else then we are here for another season-WE WILL TRY TO MAKE THE BEST OF IT!

I was thinking about Gillum's lay out.
  • If it would make it from a 3 bedroom upstairs to a 2 bedrooms, this would change a lot of things. (Calling it a SUITE means it is officially one larger room or rooms - one large room with sitting area, a suite. No longer is it just two rooms)
  • If too much required space would be sacrificed to open the rooms up (as both walls would need to now be free and clear for door swing or pocket door).
  • If you add an adjoing door (like we have here and are dying to get rid of fyi due to noise transference issues) will you still have the same ability to rent them singularly. (as mentioned our adjoining door has been used maybe twice in 7 years here, the rest of the time it is an annoyance).
  • Lastly, unless you turn the hall bath into an ensuite bath, you still have the same issue, only cost, work and not the return you hoped for. So can you not say family suite now and sell it as that how it currently stands? Making the room ensuite will now have you losing ANOTHER part of a usable wall, and then if you make to a two room suite then you won't have anyplace for the bed to go.
(Hope you don't mind, just thinking this aloud with you...we have the one detached bath that is rarely booked and considered doing these diff options and looking at cost what would be the best benefit in the long run) :)

• If it would make it from a 3 bedroom upstairs to a 2 bedrooms, this would change a lot of things. (Calling it a SUITE means it is officially one larger room or rooms - one large room with sitting area, a suite. No longer is it just two rooms)
  • If too much required space would be sacrificed to open the rooms up (as both walls would need to now be free and clear for door swing or pocket door).
  • If you add an adjoing door (like we have here and are dying to get rid of fyi due to noise transference issues) will you still have the same ability to rent them singularly. (as mentioned our adjoining door has been used maybe twice in 7 years here, the rest of the time it is an annoyance).
  • Lastly, unless you turn the hall bath into an ensuite bath, you still have the same issue, only cost, work and not the return you hoped for. So can you not say family suite now and sell it as that how it currently stands? Making the room ensuite will now have you losing ANOTHER part of a usable wall, and then if you make to a two room suite then you won't have anyplace for the bed to go.
(Hope you don't mind, just thinking this aloud with you...we have the one detached bath that is rarely booked and considered doing these diff options and looking at cost what would be the best benefit in the long run) :).
Double adjoining doors are an option. With exterior weatherstripping on the inside. (ie- the side of the door that doesn't face into the room when the door is closed.)
What I can hear from the other guest room that is adjoining is a low hum if people are talking.
We get a lot of use out of our adjoining suite. I immediately explain the door system to guests who have booked only one room. '2 doors, each locked by me.' A lot of it depends on location as well. We have a bath across the hall situation here and it gets booked about 10-15% less than the ensuite rooms. But it still, on it's own, makes 2 mortgage payments so I keep it around! Again, location. I get a fair amount of bargain shoppers and they'll take that room. I know if I find myself in a hotel room with an adjoining door I test the door and then usually move a chair over in front of it. Same here. The room chair in one room is in front of the door and in the other room it is a table. They are easily relocated when both doors need to be opened.
So, if her plan is to have the dual option of a suite and be able to rent the rooms individually, it can be done. Both of my rooms have ensuite baths. It does make for a lot of doors in the rooms!
We've thought about popping a hole through the closet of another room to make it a suite, but with one bathroom. I'm less likely, I think, to be able to rent that as I am to rent 2 rooms with 2 bathrooms. Even if a fair number of guests want to pile 5 into one room with one bathroom! it just doesn't seem like a good situation to me.

Between upgrading the inn's kitchen to commercial and the upgrades for our OQs, it felt like we were bleeding money. Now I can say that every penny was worth it. The scrimping and saving we'll be doing now won't seem so tough because I appreciate my living space now..
How wonderful! I know how euphoric I was when my bathroom finally looked like a bathroom ANYONE could be permitted to see.

(Hope you don't mind, just thinking this aloud with you...we have the one detached bath that is rarely booked and considered doing these diff options and looking at cost what would be the best benefit in the long run) :).
What I had in mind was I would now be a 2-room - 1 a queen w/ensuite pvt and one that would be a 2-room suite with pvt ensuite AND have a pull-out sofa if there were kids or if 2 couples (extra charge for use of sofa). There would be a door between the rooms for privacy and the bathroom entrance w/b from the sitting room. The hall door which has a deadbolt on it now would remain (so I could use it during a function if the room was NOT rented). The "interesting" part of this equation would be the access to the bathroom if it was 2 couples traveling together - other than going through the hall but no one wants a "surprise". The only solution to that would be at night BOTH use the hall door. It would NOT be rentable as 2 rooms (meaning guests who do not know each other). What made me think of this is that we really do not have a "full house" all that often. I think it would generate a lot more traffic as private ensuite bathrooms and I would have a queen with a queen-size sofa bed in the suite.
The bathroom door would require moving the sink - I think. The door would open into the room by the window wall. The door between rooms (this is for JB who has seen it if she can remember) would be opening into what is now Rosi's Room (where the bed would remain) at the side of the room and would come into the (now) Harris where the book nook is.
I just looked and Rosi's Room was booked 14 nights for 10 reservations in 2010 and at least 5 of those would have been covered - possibly 2 more who were related couples. Two couples CHOSE that room over the other - it was not a full house. So as it stands, those TWO rooms rarely generate $190 for a night. I did not total the revenue generated by the Harris because sometimes it was funeral rate, gvt rate, and it was the cut rate for the welder last winter but it was rented 68 nights.

What I had in mind was I would now be a 2-room - 1 a queen w/ensuite pvt and one that would be a 2-room suite with pvt ensuite AND have a pull-out sofa if there were kids or if 2 couples (extra charge for use of sofa). There would be a door between the rooms for privacy and the bathroom entrance w/b from the sitting room. The hall door which has a deadbolt on it now would remain (so I could use it during a function if the room was NOT rented). The "interesting" part of this equation would be the access to the bathroom if it was 2 couples traveling together - other than going through the hall but no one wants a "surprise". The only solution to that would be at night BOTH use the hall door. It would NOT be rentable as 2 rooms (meaning guests who do not know each other). What made me think of this is that we really do not have a "full house" all that often. I think it would generate a lot more traffic as private ensuite bathrooms and I would have a queen with a queen-size sofa bed in the suite.
The bathroom door would require moving the sink - I think. The door would open into the room by the window wall. The door between rooms (this is for JB who has seen it if she can remember) would be opening into what is now Rosi's Room (where the bed would remain) at the side of the room and would come into the (now) Harris where the book nook is.
I just looked and Rosi's Room was booked 14 nights for 10 reservations in 2010 and at least 5 of those would have been covered - possibly 2 more who were related couples. Two couples CHOSE that room over the other - it was not a full house. So as it stands, those TWO rooms rarely generate $190 for a night. I did not total the revenue generated by the Harris because sometimes it was funeral rate, gvt rate, and it was the cut rate for the welder last winter but it was rented 68 nights.
I don't know the answer to this question because I haven't seen your place, but what would be best for selling? My knee jerk reaction would be 2 with private rather and 1 private & 2 shared. If you think about what would sell best when it's time, you might have your answer.

Congrats!!! I'll go chill a bottle of champagne in your honor! :).
Sanctuary in Miami said:
Congrats!!! I'll go chill a bottle of champagne in your honor! :)
In case you don't know, Miami, we do that up here by putting the bottle on the porch for a few minutes!
cry_smile.gif

InnBloom said:
Sanctuary in Miami said:
Congrats!!! I'll go chill a bottle of champagne in your honor! :)
In case you don't know, Miami, we do that up here by putting the bottle on the porch for a few minutes!
cry_smile.gif
Today you might only need a few seconds! Brrrrr

Back