What are you working on?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking about Gillum's lay out.
  • If it would make it from a 3 bedroom upstairs to a 2 bedrooms, this would change a lot of things. (Calling it a SUITE means it is officially one larger room or rooms - one large room with sitting area, a suite. No longer is it just two rooms)
  • If too much required space would be sacrificed to open the rooms up (as both walls would need to now be free and clear for door swing or pocket door).
  • If you add an adjoing door (like we have here and are dying to get rid of fyi due to noise transference issues) will you still have the same ability to rent them singularly. (as mentioned our adjoining door has been used maybe twice in 7 years here, the rest of the time it is an annoyance).
  • Lastly, unless you turn the hall bath into an ensuite bath, you still have the same issue, only cost, work and not the return you hoped for. So can you not say family suite now and sell it as that how it currently stands? Making the room ensuite will now have you losing ANOTHER part of a usable wall, and then if you make to a two room suite then you won't have anyplace for the bed to go.
(Hope you don't mind, just thinking this aloud with you...we have the one detached bath that is rarely booked and considered doing these diff options and looking at cost what would be the best benefit in the long run) :).
What I had in mind was I would now be a 2-room - 1 a queen w/ensuite pvt and one that would be a 2-room suite with pvt ensuite AND have a pull-out sofa if there were kids or if 2 couples (extra charge for use of sofa). There would be a door between the rooms for privacy and the bathroom entrance w/b from the sitting room. The hall door which has a deadbolt on it now would remain (so I could use it during a function if the room was NOT rented). The "interesting" part of this equation would be the access to the bathroom if it was 2 couples traveling together - other than going through the hall but no one wants a "surprise". The only solution to that would be at night BOTH use the hall door. It would NOT be rentable as 2 rooms (meaning guests who do not know each other). What made me think of this is that we really do not have a "full house" all that often. I think it would generate a lot more traffic as private ensuite bathrooms and I would have a queen with a queen-size sofa bed in the suite.
The bathroom door would require moving the sink - I think. The door would open into the room by the window wall. The door between rooms (this is for JB who has seen it if she can remember) would be opening into what is now Rosi's Room (where the bed would remain) at the side of the room and would come into the (now) Harris where the book nook is.
I just looked and Rosi's Room was booked 14 nights for 10 reservations in 2010 and at least 5 of those would have been covered - possibly 2 more who were related couples. Two couples CHOSE that room over the other - it was not a full house. So as it stands, those TWO rooms rarely generate $190 for a night. I did not total the revenue generated by the Harris because sometimes it was funeral rate, gvt rate, and it was the cut rate for the welder last winter but it was rented 68 nights.
I don't know the answer to this question because I haven't seen your place, but what would be best for selling? My knee jerk reaction would be 2 with private rather and 1 private & 2 shared. If you think about what would sell best when it's time, you might have your answer.
I have put it to my daughter who (I hope) would do the reno. I think it will boost my revenue - and if I can show how it boosted the revenue it will sell - if and when. If it did not sell as a B & B it would be the Master Suite so I am sure that if nothing else, it won't hurt a sale. DH, as usual, was all negative. No vision unless it is on canvas.

Back