What are you working on?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm actually pretty excited right now. Gots lots of fun things on my plate. Plus, a lot of snow fell and that means snowshoeing. Some website stuff coming up, but I'm more excited to have it done than do it.

What am I working on?......ALWAYS SOMETHING ...... 2002 till now, the list is toooo long, but I am adding a new room, insulating my garage so it can store furniture, etc. It is forever something as I have done my B&B in bits & pieces sense opening in 2002.....Whats everyone else up to ??....Mary in Bwater

I am writing my accessability statement which is supposed to be helpful for disabled people.

Painting our kitchen cabinets, finishing what we started 4 years ago! Almost finished, then buying new curtains. NO INN MAINTENANCE, just OUR quarters...yeah! Going on vacation with friends next week. Gotta love January...

Spent yesterday moving the king bedded room from the second floor to the first and the queen bedded room from the first floor to the second. I'm sore this morning but very pleased.
There was some method in my madness. The king bed was in the smallest room and all the bedding and accents are based on a Waverly porcelain blue. All the trim in the first floor room is blue and it's a really large room ... ipso facto it always made sense to move the larger bed with all the blue accent pieces into the bigger room with the blue trim but I was always "discouraged" by DH because logistically it was never going to be easy.
So, because I'm a stubborn PITA, I decided I could do it by myself and while he was out dealing with the snow ......... Armchairs, bed frames, mattresses, shelves up and down stairs. All the artwork, lampshades, rugs and curtains had to be swapped out and in the end all I needed help with was a solid wood love seat.
Also got our new tankless water heater installed today, so all our rooms are back in business.

Spent yesterday moving the king bedded room from the second floor to the first and the queen bedded room from the first floor to the second. I'm sore this morning but very pleased.
There was some method in my madness. The king bed was in the smallest room and all the bedding and accents are based on a Waverly porcelain blue. All the trim in the first floor room is blue and it's a really large room ... ipso facto it always made sense to move the larger bed with all the blue accent pieces into the bigger room with the blue trim but I was always "discouraged" by DH because logistically it was never going to be easy.
So, because I'm a stubborn PITA, I decided I could do it by myself and while he was out dealing with the snow ......... Armchairs, bed frames, mattresses, shelves up and down stairs. All the artwork, lampshades, rugs and curtains had to be swapped out and in the end all I needed help with was a solid wood love seat.
Also got our new tankless water heater installed today, so all our rooms are back in business..
The king mattress? Down the stairs? Mad woman!

Also got our new tankless water heater installed today, so all our rooms are back in business..
The Tipsy Butler said:
Also got our new tankless water heater installed today, so all our rooms are back in business.
Be careful with that! There was a Holiday Inn that had these and when it came "on" it scalded the man in the shower so badly that the skin fell off his chest in a perfect round shape right where the water hit him. I've been burned by those while washing my hands, but not as serious as that hotel guest, because I could pull my hands out quick enough. The man was left with a large ugly scar on his chest and he sued Holiday Inn. Just be aware that when those things misbehave they do so without warning and it can be very, very bad.

The Tipsy Butler said:
Be careful with that! There was a Holiday Inn that had these and when it came "on" it scalded the man in the shower so badly that the skin fell off his chest in a perfect round shape right where the water hit him. I've been burned by those while washing my hands, but not as serious as that hotel guest, because I could pull my hands out quick enough. The man was left with a large ugly scar on his chest and he sued Holiday Inn. Just be aware that when those things misbehave they do so without warning and it can be very, very bad.
Yes - it certainly can get hot. I keep mine on a lower setting just for that reason and we get a model with an automatic cut-off. So far they've been great.

The king mattress? Down the stairs? Mad woman!
I know - but once I get a bee in my bonnet ..... it's a really good mattress too so very heavy. Actually getting the queen UP the stairs was way more difficult .... and as for the armchairs, let's just say that my arm muscles are suffering this morning.

The Tipsy Butler said:
Yes - it certainly can get hot. I keep mine on a lower setting just for that reason and we get a model with an automatic cut-off. So far they've been great.
The problem is the "hot" starts cold as the standing water in the line is cold, then the hot slug hits. Very useful to have a (small) water heater just after the tankless to provide a mixing place and an intial flow of hot. Tankless alone can be hard to use in small flows like hand washing - you are done by the time the hot water arrives.

I had a brain cramp this afternoon @ lunch. Flying it by all here FIRST to see if it makes sense from a $$ angle.
What if, I punch a door into the shared bath from the Harris Room (room next to the bathroom) and create a doorway in the commom wall with Rosi's Room, creating a 2-room suite. Would that generate (or qualify for) a high enough room rate to be a 2-room inn of one queen roomw/pvt and 1 suite w/private? I wonder how much I could get for a suite in Podunk? Thoughts? Have not even mentioned to DH yet! My daughter could probably do the construction.

I had a brain cramp this afternoon @ lunch. Flying it by all here FIRST to see if it makes sense from a $$ angle.
What if, I punch a door into the shared bath from the Harris Room (room next to the bathroom) and create a doorway in the commom wall with Rosi's Room, creating a 2-room suite. Would that generate (or qualify for) a high enough room rate to be a 2-room inn of one queen roomw/pvt and 1 suite w/private? I wonder how much I could get for a suite in Podunk? Thoughts? Have not even mentioned to DH yet! My daughter could probably do the construction..
I think the idea is a good one, it would give flexibility. However, make sure there is room for the doors to swing without impacting furniture, doors, or other things. Devil is always in the details...I would use a yardstick to lay on the floor and check the imaginary "swing" of the door.

Whatever vitamins you take I want some! DH & I just helped friends move an old king set down, and a new one up a log staircase. The old mattress got away from us coming down. I was on the bottom trying to stop the slide, but could barely hold it while it ran up DH's leg, also on the bottom, and flopped over our friends wife. No one got hurt, but good three of us were more or less eaten by the mattress! Can't imagine doing all that solo!

What if, I punch a door into the shared bath from the Harris Room (room next to the bathroom) and create a doorway in the commom wall with Rosi's Room, creating a 2-room suite. Would that generate (or qualify for) a high enough room rate to be a 2-room inn of one queen roomw/pvt and 1 suite w/private? I wonder how much I could get for a suite in Podunk? Thoughts? Have not even mentioned to DH yet! My daughter could probably do the construction..
I think the idea is a good one, it would give flexibility. However, make sure there is room for the doors to swing without impacting furniture, doors, or other things. Devil is always in the details...I would use a yardstick to lay on the floor and check the imaginary "swing" of the door.
white pine said:
If she's punching holes, she could do a pocket door. Where did I see a picture of someone who installed a new toilet that was too long so the door wouldn't close after installation?

white pine said:
If she's punching holes, she could do a pocket door. Where did I see a picture of someone who installed a new toilet that was too long so the door wouldn't close after installation?
I have little experience with pocket doors. Wouldn't they involve tearing up more wall for framing? I like the idea of them tho., might be something for me to consider in our project.

white pine said:
In general, avoid pocket doors.
First, the door opening and the door slide area have to be non-bearing, so you are chopping a 5 foot plus hole in a wall and will have to patch it all.
Second, people don't like moving them as they are heavy and contrary to common sense of a door.
Third, they always offer low privacy - sound for sure as they don't seal against a jam and sense of having "shut the door". Very hard to lock.
OK, we have 3 pocket doors, but they are only used where they isolate the bathing area from the rest of a private bath, let you keep the heat in, and make the room more intimate if you want, but never install where the pocket door is the only thing between you and someone you don't want to see you naked. It is the psychology of privacy.

Whatever vitamins you take I want some! DH & I just helped friends move an old king set down, and a new one up a log staircase. The old mattress got away from us coming down. I was on the bottom trying to stop the slide, but could barely hold it while it ran up DH's leg, also on the bottom, and flopped over our friends wife. No one got hurt, but good three of us were more or less eaten by the mattress! Can't imagine doing all that solo!
No vitamins, just a destructively strong stubborn streak that I've had since I was born. I blame it on the red hair. I've always been bad at asking for help (which is not a good trait) but when you add someone telling me something can't be done into the mix you're simply asking for trouble.
BTW - still sore this morning but today I get to take new pics and take up the room rate for the new king bed room.
Also, although DH was really PO'd when he found out what I was doing and that I'd really gone too far to turn back, he's now telling everyone how great it looks and how good it will be for the bottom line ..... he's not so happy about the egg size bruise on my arm.

No vitamins, just a destructively strong stubborn streak that I've had since I was born. I blame it on the red hair. I've always been bad at asking for help (which is not a good trait) but when you add someone telling me something can't be done into the mix you're simply asking for trouble.
BTW - still sore this morning but today I get to take new pics and take up the room rate for the new king bed room.
Also, although DH was really PO'd when he found out what I was doing and that I'd really gone too far to turn back, he's now telling everyone how great it looks and how good it will be for the bottom line ..... he's not so happy about the egg size bruise on my arm.
Golly those traits sound VERY familiar.
cheers.gif
Sisterhood of strong stubborn women! Bet you feel the bruise is nothing compared to how great the rooms look now!

white pine said:
In general, avoid pocket doors.
First, the door opening and the door slide area have to be non-bearing, so you are chopping a 5 foot plus hole in a wall and will have to patch it all.
Second, people don't like moving them as they are heavy and contrary to common sense of a door.
Third, they always offer low privacy - sound for sure as they don't seal against a jam and sense of having "shut the door". Very hard to lock.
OK, we have 3 pocket doors, but they are only used where they isolate the bathing area from the rest of a private bath, let you keep the heat in, and make the room more intimate if you want, but never install where the pocket door is the only thing between you and someone you don't want to see you naked. It is the psychology of privacy.
I was thinking of space-saving and aesthetics. The door itself needs to be heavy enough to provide the sense of security. I guess I'm just used to the pocket doors between my parlor and my lounge. Close them and a raucous party could be going on on the one side and a meditation retreat on the other.

Back