What bugs you? Innkeeping pet peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River Wren

Reaction score
My biggest one is smokers who go outdoors to smoke and then bring their butts back into the room and put them in the trash can, successfully sticking up the room. Come on people! That is what the ashtray is for!

My biggest pet peeve are the "jungle dwellers". These folks shower without the bathroom fan (never turn it on at all). Leave shower curtains opened and bunched up and the walls dripping with moisture...and then shut the bathroom door and walk away.
Second to that are stayovers that pull all quilts, blankets and sheets off, roll them in a giant ball, and leave in the middle of the bed for me to remake.

I hate it when people tell you they will be down for breakfast and then don't show or call....especially when they are the only ones here....grrrrrr!

People with special dietary needs who choose the moment you bring them their breakfast plate to let you know they don't eat meat, pork, onions....blah, blah, blah.

Are these vents?
cry_smile.gif

A pet peeve of mine are those who call 10 times to "land them" on the runway that is our parking lot. I wonder how they go through life - being so needy and incapable. I am not one who has an apron string cell phone complex, in fact if you bug me I won't answer the phone, and will say "WORK IT OUT!"

People who leave the door open so they can sit in their air conditioned room and watch the deer walk by while in bed.
RIki

People who leave the door open so they can sit in their air conditioned room and watch the deer walk by while in bed.
RIki.
Riki, I have the note on the door in RED that says "Door should remain closed, thank you" as there is just no way to tell these people SHUT THE DANG DOOR other than walking past and closing it every 5 minutes. My old note said "Please keep door closed" and was ignored.
A guest on the weekend walked up to me and actually asked "Do you want the door closed or open?" I went into the kitchen wondering if she could read or not, poor thing.

Guests who cancel 25 hours before their arrival because it's raining.

RIki.
Riki, I have the note on the door in RED that says "Door should remain closed, thank you" as there is just no way to tell these people SHUT THE DANG DOOR other than walking past and closing it every 5 minutes. My old note said "Please keep door closed" and was ignored.
A guest on the weekend walked up to me and actually asked "Do you want the door closed or open?" I went into the kitchen wondering if she could read or not, poor thing.
Jo Bloggs said:
To make this worse, it's not our main door. It's their private entrance door.
RIki

RIki.
We have a similar sign for keeping our front door locked, and the Word file it is saved as on our computer is "Lock the Damn Door".
Common sense is not common!

People with special dietary needs who choose the moment you bring them their breakfast plate to let you know they don't eat meat, pork, onions....blah, blah, blah..
InnsiderInfo said:
People with special dietary needs who choose the moment you bring them their breakfast plate to let you know they don't eat meat, pork, onions....blah, blah, blah.
I have to second this one! And the people who have gotten lost using their GPS instead of the maps and directions I gave them.

My list:
  • Tell you the time and then come down either as you put it in the oven for 30 min or 30 min after it was to be served - and it is an egg bake (sort of a souffle)
  • tell you as they move food around "I can't have cinnamon" and you made pumpkin muffins and bread pudding (cinnamon!!)
  • come because of our routings and then say, "we weren't sure about your directions to the winery but decided to follow them and there it was!"
Why in the world would I give people incorrect directions? The winery is out in the country! And then there were the siblings who came back from a bridge toue and told me they did not see any covered bridges! The most famous one is right AT the highway.... I guess they were so busy talking that they did not SEE anything! Mostly though, I get really good guests so have not much to complain about with guests. Now DH on the other hand.... He has been a reasonably good boy lately. It has been nice....

Another one of mine is the guest that throws all the fancy bed pillows on the floor OR sleeps on them. I don't know which is worse.....well, throwing wet towels on them is worse.
Hey anybody ever had a real brainiac???? You know the type...they try to roast marshmallows over the gas fireplace and stink the place up? How about Jiffypop over the gas fireplace? Yeah....good times.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

It drives me crazy when I go to the effort of putting together a very short easy to understand "operating" manual - It is only one page , and I put the key in the plastic sheet protector - and guests don't bother to read it. Then they constantly ask questions that can be easily addressed if they would just take 2 minutes and read the darn thing.

It drives me crazy when I go to the effort of putting together a very short easy to understand "operating" manual - It is only one page , and I put the key in the plastic sheet protector - and guests don't bother to read it. Then they constantly ask questions that can be easily addressed if they would just take 2 minutes and read the darn thing..
Oooh...me too, me too on this one! We have an entire binder that would tell you anything you wanted to know about us, the Inn, our town...not that I expect everyone to read the whole darn thing but it's tabbed for heaven's sake, you can find what you need in two seconds! This is a pretty good gauge of people though...if they're asking those simple questions then I'm not going to waste much time with them, they are probably brain vampires who just want to suck you dry!

It drives me crazy when I go to the effort of putting together a very short easy to understand "operating" manual - It is only one page , and I put the key in the plastic sheet protector - and guests don't bother to read it. Then they constantly ask questions that can be easily addressed if they would just take 2 minutes and read the darn thing..
Oooh...me too, me too on this one! We have an entire binder that would tell you anything you wanted to know about us, the Inn, our town...not that I expect everyone to read the whole darn thing but it's tabbed for heaven's sake, you can find what you need in two seconds! This is a pretty good gauge of people though...if they're asking those simple questions then I'm not going to waste much time with them, they are probably brain vampires who just want to suck you dry!
InnsiderInfo said:
OK, I have to jump in here. I don't read manuals. If I want help from someone whose job it is to help me, then I will ask them, not read a book. (I won't ring your doorbell or call you at midnight, but if I just got there and I want to know something, I'll ask. And pointing me to a book will turn me off completely and then you've got the grump from hell on your hands.)
Yes, I have books in the rooms. Yes, they have all the pertinent info including where to meet if there is a fire so I can count noses for the fire dept. I have pages of restaurants, things to do, where's the local church (what kind of local church, when services are) but it's my job to answer questions. That's what I do.

InnsiderInfo said:
OK, I have to jump in here. I don't read manuals. If I want help from someone whose job it is to help me, then I will ask them, not read a book. (I won't ring your doorbell or call you at midnight, but if I just got there and I want to know something, I'll ask. And pointing me to a book will turn me off completely and then you've got the grump from hell on your hands.)
Yes, I have books in the rooms. Yes, they have all the pertinent info including where to meet if there is a fire so I can count noses for the fire dept. I have pages of restaurants, things to do, where's the local church (what kind of local church, when services are) but it's my job to answer questions. That's what I do.
I totally agree, and we spend as much time as people need at check-in to make sure they know where everything. I'm more than happy to answer any and all questions...but this is a thread on peeves, and you know the PITA's I'm talking about, the ones who are dumb for the sake of being dumb.

After cleaning 3 rooms this morning, here's my peeve...guests who leave every light on, heat blasting, windows open and all of their trash 'somehow' missed the trash can. Oh, yeah, and thanks for the 35 cent tip, it made my day.
If you don't like the place, just move on.

I hate it when people tell you they will be down for breakfast and then don't show or call....especially when they are the only ones here....grrrrrr!.
ditto-ditto-DITTO! I finally put a note in the room that says we like to sleep late too, so let us know if you are not wanting breakfast, or would like it later. They STILL don't tell us. ARGHHH!

Having been a former smoker - I'll tell you why this happen. We used to always field strip and pocket the butts so not to litter. It gets to be a habit and we did it even if there was an ashtray, so not to create something else for someone to clean.
I'm disturbed by the ones who flick them in the yard, at the wall or worse - over the wall into another yard.

Back