What bugs you? Innkeeping pet peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People who leave the door open so they can sit in their air conditioned room and watch the deer walk by while in bed.
RIki.
Riki, I have the note on the door in RED that says "Door should remain closed, thank you" as there is just no way to tell these people SHUT THE DANG DOOR other than walking past and closing it every 5 minutes. My old note said "Please keep door closed" and was ignored.
A guest on the weekend walked up to me and actually asked "Do you want the door closed or open?" I went into the kitchen wondering if she could read or not, poor thing.
Jo Bloggs said:
Riki, I have the note on the door in RED that says "Door should remain closed, thank you" as there is just no way to tell these people SHUT THE DANG DOOR other than walking past and closing it every 5 minutes. My old note said "Please keep door closed" and was ignored.
A guest on the weekend walked up to me and actually asked "Do you want the door closed or open?" I went into the kitchen wondering if she could read or not, poor thing.
To make this worse, it's not our main door. It's their private entrance door.
RIki
Tell them that if they leave the door open, mice or other creatures will enter and take up residence. This really does work! Even in the city we have lots of mice, skunks and racoons. That usually scares them just fine.

Another one of mine is the guest that throws all the fancy bed pillows on the floor OR sleeps on them. I don't know which is worse.....well, throwing wet towels on them is worse.
Hey anybody ever had a real brainiac???? You know the type...they try to roast marshmallows over the gas fireplace and stink the place up? How about Jiffypop over the gas fireplace? Yeah....good times.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I gotta say...I hate those fancy pillow. Give me pillows that I can use. I would never throw them on the floor, but they have to go somewhere if I am not supposed to use them, so that usually means they will be taking up space on a couch or chair that I could have been sitting in. I think the fancy pillows are a PITA. No offense - as I am sure some people love the look. Too bad we can't do a thread on what bothers you at a inn, as a guest.

Another one of mine is the guest that throws all the fancy bed pillows on the floor OR sleeps on them. I don't know which is worse.....well, throwing wet towels on them is worse.
Hey anybody ever had a real brainiac???? You know the type...they try to roast marshmallows over the gas fireplace and stink the place up? How about Jiffypop over the gas fireplace? Yeah....good times.
I gotta say...I hate those fancy pillow. Give me pillows that I can use. I would never throw them on the floor, but they have to go somewhere if I am not supposed to use them, so that usually means they will be taking up space on a couch or chair that I could have been sitting in. I think the fancy pillows are a PITA. No offense - as I am sure some people love the look. Too bad we can't do a thread on what bothers you at a inn, as a guest.
aieechihuahua said:
Too bad we can't do a thread on what bothers you at a inn, as a guest.
Go ahead and start one! I've got a list! But we may have done that before. I seem to remember writing my list down here someplace.

I also hate the ton of pillows that are just for looks. I guess I have the spartan look because I have very few things just taking up space - a vase with a fresh carnation and a few items for decor - but the bed is ready to be slept in.

After cleaning 3 rooms this morning, here's my peeve...guests who leave every light on, heat blasting, windows open and all of their trash 'somehow' missed the trash can. Oh, yeah, and thanks for the 35 cent tip, it made my day.
If you don't like the place, just move on..
Bree said:
Oh, yeah, and thanks for the 35 cent tip, it made my day.
If you don't like the place, just move on.
That is something I don't understand is when guests leave change on the table at check out. Did they just forget it or is that really their tip? Is that change so worthless they don't want to bother picking it up? It is hard to tell because they always seems to happy about everything but you never know.

THEFT and opening the propane fireplace bottom mechanical ares.It is remote controlled(no need to open the bottom) THEFT of items in my 2 unites,mostly small value but there is something wrong with a persons soul who does this type of thing and I truely believe their souls/lives will have a cloud over them all their life.No need to confront them as this is the type of person who lies also.It is not pleasant to write about this but it is a fact of life that people are not all the same morally.
omg_smile.gif
Mary in Bridgewater

People who leave the door open so they can sit in their air conditioned room and watch the deer walk by while in bed.
RIki.
Jo Bloggs said:
To make this worse, it's not our main door. It's their private entrance door.
RIki
Tell them that if they leave the door open, mice or other creatures will enter and take up residence. This really does work! Even in the city we have lots of mice, skunks and racoons. That usually scares them just fine.
aieechihuahua said:
We had a bear walk down our street and enter the hospital using the emergency auto doors.

After cleaning 3 rooms this morning, here's my peeve...guests who leave every light on, heat blasting, windows open and all of their trash 'somehow' missed the trash can. Oh, yeah, and thanks for the 35 cent tip, it made my day.
Bree said:
That is something I don't understand is when guests leave change on the table at check out. Did they just forget it or is that really their tip? Is that change so worthless they don't want to bother picking it up? It is hard to tell because they always seems to happy about everything but you never know.
oceans said:
Bree said:
It depends on who you ask...my son says it is an insult to leave change (he's in Vegas). Other people say the guests just 'forget' the change. I throw it all in a jar. I've probably got $20 from just change left on the floor (and not under the bed) or on the dressers. Now if it is $5 in change, it's deliberate and that's fine. 35 cents is deliberate in it's own way, IMO.
Today's guests who did that were in the wrong place. We just were not their cup of tea. Any adult who leaves a room the way they did is leaving a message.
Sometimes I get a stack of change. It's piled up in size order. Tough to 'forget' it stacked up like that.

Smokers that go up and down the stairs a gazillion times to smoke outside and tromp around and slam the door.

Guest that request a special diet breakfast (no meat, no cheese, etc) and at a special time so you fix them their own dish and then they don't come down to breakfast or show up two hours late and ask if they can still eat.
What I do love are the guest that want to help you by clearing the tables or put putting all the linens in one pile right before they check out. We host a lot of military guest and they are the very best - polite, helpful, tidy - they can stay with us any time they want.

Smokers that go up and down the stairs a gazillion times to smoke outside and tromp around and slam the door..
Yes yes yes! I have that now and can't wait for them to leave. Every time they go out they leave a trail of smell behind in their clothes, hair and so forth. I will strip every thing in the room when they leave even knowing they didn't smoke in the room.

This bugs me...
I will attempt to diagram this on the forum - we have a parking LOT it is off street parking, paved. We have our own parking spots and then there are the guest 5 marked spots - plus other areas they could easily park if they wanted to along our fence or the street behind - which is a cemetary and no one is every parked there (except for funerals and visitations). Our lot is often used as a turn around.
Below is our parking (V is vehicle pulled into a spot):
__V__ __V__ __V__ __V__ __V__
Those are the parking spots with concrete stops you would pull up to, side by side.
These guests who just arrived parked like this across 3 spots:
<---------------------
____ ____ ____ ____ ____
I guess since they saw no other cars they thought it was okay, although the others are not here now. One still has to check in and work out where in the heck they can park after this car took up more than half the spaces.

This bugs me...
I will attempt to diagram this on the forum - we have a parking LOT it is off street parking, paved. We have our own parking spots and then there are the guest 5 marked spots - plus other areas they could easily park if they wanted to along our fence or the street behind - which is a cemetary and no one is every parked there (except for funerals and visitations). Our lot is often used as a turn around.
Those are the parking spots with concrete stops you would pull up to, side by side.
<---------------------
____ ____ ____ ____ ____
I guess since they saw no other cars they thought it was okay, although the others are not here now. One still has to check in and work out where in the heck they can park after this car took up more than half the spaces..
When I have seen the 'doublers' I have asked if they were planning to drive to dinner. If they say they are, I let it go; if they say they're walking, I'll mention shifting the car over so other guests can park.
Dumbfounded looks most of the time. 'OTHER' guests? Sometimes one will say, 'I TOLD you you weren't parked properly!'

This bugs me...
<---------------------
____ ____ ____ ____ ____
I guess since they saw no other cars they thought it was okay, although the others are not here now. One still has to check in and work out where in the heck they can park after this car took up more than half the spaces..
I'm sorry, I can't help laughing...your diagram is perfect and quite ingenious! You were able to make me understand what you were talking about, but no amount of diagrams, instructions, threats will make the PITA's park the way they are supposed to!

People who strip the amenity basket. I tell myself it shouldn't matter. After all, many guests use nothing at all, or just one thing, so it all works out in the end, but there's something about the fact they've taken everything (or almost) that bugs the heck out of me.
=)
Kk.

you took my peeve. Oh how I hate it. Wasting my money like that, being disrespectful of the room and the person that cleans your messes and thanks for the pennies under and around the bed.
angry_smile.gif
grrrrrrr...

The stripping of amenity baskets seems to be very popular this year only. Mostly older guests.
I supply coffee in the cottages, very good, expensive coffee and the stuff that goes along with coffee ;) And I am very generous with the amounts I leave. Usually I have 3 or 4 bags of coffee, 4 assorted teas, bla-bla. Lots of toilet paper so that no one needs to ask for any and of course a huge assortment of soaps, because I like soaps. Lately EVERYTHING has been taken. I guess they think they paid for it, it's in the room, it is theirs.

The stripping of amenity baskets seems to be very popular this year only. Mostly older guests.
I supply coffee in the cottages, very good, expensive coffee and the stuff that goes along with coffee ;) And I am very generous with the amounts I leave. Usually I have 3 or 4 bags of coffee, 4 assorted teas, bla-bla. Lots of toilet paper so that no one needs to ask for any and of course a huge assortment of soaps, because I like soaps. Lately EVERYTHING has been taken. I guess they think they paid for it, it's in the room, it is theirs..
Absolutey. they think if they paid for their room they are entitled to anything in it:-( And maybe whatever else they can pick up too.

I supply coffee in the cottages, very good, expensive coffee and the stuff that goes along with coffee ;) And I am very generous with the amounts I leave. Usually I have 3 or 4 bags of coffee, 4 assorted teas, bla-bla. Lots of toilet paper so that no one needs to ask for any and of course a huge assortment of soaps, because I like soaps. Lately EVERYTHING has been taken. I guess they think they paid for it, it's in the room, it is theirs..
Absolutey. they think if they paid for their room they are entitled to anything in it:-( And maybe whatever else they can pick up too.
zactttttly. Going to glue everything down that I wish to keep, heehee
teeth_smile.gif

Back