What bugs you? Innkeeping pet peeves

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After cleaning 3 rooms this morning, here's my peeve...guests who leave every light on, heat blasting, windows open and all of their trash 'somehow' missed the trash can. Oh, yeah, and thanks for the 35 cent tip, it made my day.
If you don't like the place, just move on..
Bree said:
After cleaning 3 rooms this morning, here's my peeve...guests who leave every light on, heat blasting, windows open and all of their trash 'somehow' missed the trash can. Oh, yeah, and thanks for the 35 cent tip, it made my day.
If you don't like the place, just move on.
Ohhhh, I just had one of these. A couple from VA, both Drs. and extremely demanding. Everything had to be just so. He even came to tell me he stubbed his toe on my front step and perhaps it should have been better lit.
They were here for a week looking for property to purchase. When they checked out. Not a thank you. No good byes and not 1 thin dime.

Bree said:
Ohhhh, I just had one of these. A couple from VA, both Drs. and extremely demanding. Everything had to be just so. He even came to tell me he stubbed his toe on my front step and perhaps it should have been better lit.
They were here for a week looking for property to purchase. When they checked out. Not a thank you. No good byes and not 1 thin dime.
What a great idea! Little 'toe cap' lights for people who don't know where their feet end.

guests who load up their alleged purses (like grocery sacks) with bunches of fresh fruit and things 'for later'. there is no need to be greedy! and yes, i was going to put out those same apples, oranges and bananas tomorrow. and if they started to go a little off, they went right into the smoothies.
as for the remaining hard boiled eggs? HELP YOURSELF! PLEASE!!

potty and bed testers: the guest who tries to slip into another guest room to sit on that bed or that toilet. WHAT ARE YOU THINKING?? i think they need to sit in the time out chair.

We are difficult to find UNLESS you follow the directions that are online and that I include with each reservation confirmation. However, there are always those that THINK know better and will use every other means of navigation save the one that will get them here.
The first thing I ask the guest when they arrive is "Did you have any trouble finding us?" If they used my directions the answer is always "No not at all". If however they used their GPS or printed a map off of the internet, I usually get a call from the other side of town saying" We're lost".

We are in about as small a town as you can find. About 1400 residents. I can't help but laugh when I walk past the parking lot and see the city folks cars parked and locked with the 'club'.

What bugs me, O boy where do I start? Well the most recent thing is staining my White Towels, I do have ( Deck ) towels in the rooms to wipe crap with but do they use them, noooooooooo, they prefer to use my Great new white towels and sometimes I can't take the time to sift through them to see if I need to do a bleach load and then I discover the now permanent stain as I take them out of the dryer AHHHHHHHH. Thats just for starters.....

Oh, I have another one.
The people who marinate themselves in perfume/cologne. I am convinced that people who do this have burnt out their olifactory senses and have no idea how they reek! Can people possibly find that attractive? And you can forget about getting it out of a room.

Bree said:
we had a couple stay 2 summers ago. she apparently ran into the wall in their guestroom and told us that she did. we said oh, that's unfortunate. she said we should have a sign warning people that there are walls in the guestrooms. i thought, here's your sign lady, cause that may be the stupidest thing i have ever heard.
when they checked out they said, so i guess we are probably never gonna hear from you again. will you keep in touch with us? any other place we have ever stayed has never kept in touch with us. they told us at least 20 times they were going to leave us a great review cause they were so happy with everything. when we sent our Christmas cards out to certain guests that year, we sent them one just cause. however, we still have never received that review & they have never kept in touch with us. lol!

Oh, I have another one.
The people who marinate themselves in perfume/cologne. I am convinced that people who do this have burnt out their olifactory senses and have no idea how they reek! Can people possibly find that attractive? And you can forget about getting it out of a room..
River Wren said:
Oh, I have another one.
The people who marinate themselves in perfume/cologne. I am convinced that people who do this have burnt out their olifactory senses and have no idea how they reek! Can people possibly find that attractive? And you can forget about getting it out of a room.
I agree. That's awful. I think there was a topic posted on room smells not too long ago.

Back