What can they do that my State Assoc cannot!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like what I've heard from Jay on this forum, I like his attitude and his drive. Unfortunately, I still don't see the benefits of joining PAII. I got really excited when I saw the reduced membership fee and saw that the website would be redone. I'm sorry but I think the website is still awful, not functional at all and I just don't understand the point of being a member. Anyone who is really pleased with their investment, if you can tell me specifically what has been the greatest benefit to you I am all ears. I want to be persuaded..
See I am kind of like you. I don't see the new website and being of any benefit. It is not functional and not promoted as a place for people to look for accommodations. The database set up is a real joke to me.
On the other hand, Jay has moved the association to a different level. He is listening and he is talking and communicating with members which is more than has been done in the past. That is a good thing. However, I don't believe the $79 membership level gets you much...if I read correctly, it doesn't get you member discounts to conference etc. There is lots of good info from PAII, but it all costs something and some of those prices are pretty steep. An association needs to have $$$ to run so..membership pays. Whether it is worth it or not to you...you are the only one who can decide.
Right, It is not a directory. No one should be looking to PAII as a source of revenue from that site. (Which is pretty unusable.)
Yes and I just looked at the inns for sale section...that is a joke!! You have to just scroll through the entire thing...no database work there at all. You think they at least would have listed them by states.

I rejoined because I felt they were really out there doing things for the good of innkeepers everywhere. When I let my membership lapse 4 years ago, I just wasn't getting that sense. It helps a lot that Jay reaches out to us here as well as to the 800 lb gorilla. It says a lot for him and the group at PAII that they got the gorilla to listen. To me, it seems like the folks at PAII are listening to the folks who they want to pay their salaries. THAT never hurts..
Is it $79 for the year or is this a trial. If it were $79 for the year I'm in. I don't think I would use it except the forums also. I used it be in when we first opened and I felt it was a little to costly.
It is $79 for the year.
I look at it this way - if I can support my industry by paying $79 for a year of membership and know I have the ear of the CEO (yes, that is due to THIS Forum but he does answer on the PAII Forum which I frankly find dull and lifeless compared to this one probably because it is so polite and decorous) then to me it is money well-spent. I like to think I can see beyond the "what is in it for me?" and see it as part of the bigger picture of being good for the industry.
Over the years I have spent a lot more than the $79 PAII dues to benefit an organization I believed in for the betterment of all. We all have to make our choices of how and where we spend out money - and I do not fault anyone who does not see why I feel this way about it. Just remember that alone we cannot accomplish much but when we band together in one VOICE we are listened to - by companies (they will often give group discounts) and especially politicians - usually.

I rejoined because I felt they were really out there doing things for the good of innkeepers everywhere. When I let my membership lapse 4 years ago, I just wasn't getting that sense. It helps a lot that Jay reaches out to us here as well as to the 800 lb gorilla. It says a lot for him and the group at PAII that they got the gorilla to listen. To me, it seems like the folks at PAII are listening to the folks who they want to pay their salaries. THAT never hurts..
Is it $79 for the year or is this a trial. If it were $79 for the year I'm in. I don't think I would use it except the forums also. I used it be in when we first opened and I felt it was a little to costly.
It is $79 for the year.
I look at it this way - if I can support my industry by paying $79 for a year of membership and know I have the ear of the CEO (yes, that is due to THIS Forum but he does answer on the PAII Forum which I frankly find dull and lifeless compared to this one probably because it is so polite and decorous) then to me it is money well-spent. I like to think I can see beyond the "what is in it for me?" and see it as part of the bigger picture of being good for the industry.
Over the years I have spent a lot more than the $79 PAII dues to benefit an organization I believed in for the betterment of all. We all have to make our choices of how and where we spend out money - and I do not fault anyone who does not see why I feel this way about it. Just remember that alone we cannot accomplish much but when we band together in one VOICE we are listened to - by companies (they will often give group discounts) and especially politicians - usually.
Don't you think if PAII were really listening to us, they would do something about their website? This isn't the first time their shortcomings have been brought up and they aren't that hard to fix.

It is $79 for the year.
Don't you think if PAII were really listening to us, they would do something about their website? This isn't the first time their shortcomings have been brought up and they aren't that hard to fix.
Maybe they are listening and it's not that easy! I do know they took my complaint about the email format to heart and it has gotten consistently better everytime.

It is $79 for the year.
So tell them what is wrong with the web site. Do a button list. Start a new thread What is Wrong with the PAII Web Site and bullet it. Everyone else get on the band wagon. Say what is wrong and how to fix it if you know how to fix it. THEN say they are not listening.
I am not web site savvy enough to know what is. I go on and look at Forums. I am not interested in anything else quite frankly. I paid my dues to be "one of that number as the Saints go marching in" because I see something that was not there just a couple years ago. I see possibilities and I am willing to take the chance. Maybe I do not look at the web site as an issue because I know it is just for innkeepers - it is not as if it was trying to bring the public to my door. Now my State Association web site had best be damned good becaue I am expecting old John Q to find me there.

It is $79 for the year.
So tell them what is wrong with the web site. Do a button list. Start a new thread What is Wrong with the PAII Web Site and bullet it. Everyone else get on the band wagon. Say what is wrong and how to fix it if you know how to fix it. THEN say they are not listening.
I am not web site savvy enough to know what is. I go on and look at Forums. I am not interested in anything else quite frankly. I paid my dues to be "one of that number as the Saints go marching in" because I see something that was not there just a couple years ago. I see possibilities and I am willing to take the chance. Maybe I do not look at the web site as an issue because I know it is just for innkeepers - it is not as if it was trying to bring the public to my door. Now my State Association web site had best be damned good becaue I am expecting old John Q to find me there.
Yes, but why shouldn't they market their site to the general public as a place for people to look for "MEMBERS" as places they would want to stay? And, spend some money marketing member inns / SEO. That would be doing something tangible for members which so far many say they don't see.

It is $79 for the year.
Yes, but why shouldn't they market their site to the general public as a place for people to look for "MEMBERS" as places they would want to stay? And, spend some money marketing member inns / SEO. That would be doing something tangible for members which so far many say they don't see.
Because I don't think that they can be successful as an association AND as a B&B directory...my state association tried to be both and end up being neither...and then lost more than half their membership as a result.

It is $79 for the year.
Because I don't think that they can be successful as an association AND as a B&B directory...my state association tried to be both and end up being neither...and then lost more than half their membership as a result.
Our association is doing quite well as a directory and we all benefit. That may or may not be the best thing for PAII. I don't know.

I really like what I've heard from Jay on this forum, I like his attitude and his drive. Unfortunately, I still don't see the benefits of joining PAII. I got really excited when I saw the reduced membership fee and saw that the website would be redone. I'm sorry but I think the website is still awful, not functional at all and I just don't understand the point of being a member. Anyone who is really pleased with their investment, if you can tell me specifically what has been the greatest benefit to you I am all ears. I want to be persuaded..
See I am kind of like you. I don't see the new website and being of any benefit. It is not functional and not promoted as a place for people to look for accommodations. The database set up is a real joke to me.
On the other hand, Jay has moved the association to a different level. He is listening and he is talking and communicating with members which is more than has been done in the past. That is a good thing. However, I don't believe the $79 membership level gets you much...if I read correctly, it doesn't get you member discounts to conference etc. There is lots of good info from PAII, but it all costs something and some of those prices are pretty steep. An association needs to have $$$ to run so..membership pays. Whether it is worth it or not to you...you are the only one who can decide.
Right, It is not a directory. No one should be looking to PAII as a source of revenue from that site. (Which is pretty unusable.)
Yes and I just looked at the inns for sale section...that is a joke!! You have to just scroll through the entire thing...no database work there at all. You think they at least would have listed them by states.
Another question. Why is the member search set up by membership level? I believe it used to be alphabetical, but this makes no sense at all.

It is $79 for the year.
Because in my opinion they would then become just another Directory. The industry needs an organization looking out for their interests. In West Virginia we have MABB as our Directory, web site, and marketing with someone watching what is happening legislatively that will affect B & B. THEN we have WVHTA working the legislative needs of the industries encompassing hospitality and travel which includes the restaurants, lodging, and attractions. I look at PAII as the organization looking out for our interests to try to get changes made whether with government or entities like the 1000 lb gorilla that can also come up with campaigns to make the bed & breakfast industry more in the public eye as an industry. I want them protecting my interests.
We as innkeepers need to understand that getting heads in beds is not the do all be all if we are getting "beat up" by issues such as those a certain segment of the population tries to use to blackmail us into giving them whatever they want. Each entity has a place in the scheme of things.
There are plenty of Directories we can purchase a listing on but we need someone out there running interference and working for the innkeepers. I will say no more on the issue. I just wanted to pont out the deadline to save on a membership was nigh.

OK, here's something for PAII to look at...Priceline is using the phrase 'bed and breakfast' to tout hotels. 'Bed and breakfast' should be trademarked so it is not allowable for anything that is obviously a hotel/motel.
Hotels that offer beakfast should be just that 'hotel room and breakfast.'
It annoyed me because the Google ad was for 'Cheap Bed and Breakfast' and it was a list of hotels.

It is $79 for the year.
Yes, but why shouldn't they market their site to the general public as a place for people to look for "MEMBERS" as places they would want to stay?
Because it is not an association of Bed and Breakfasts, it is an association of innkeepers. Keeping focus is important. If they become a marketing arm, and get used as PAII recommended inns, then people can complain to PAII about an inn..and PAII would then have to take action against a member...a member who is there to benefit from membership, not be judged or admonished. They are smart to avoid the slippery slope of becoming a member marketing channel.

It is $79 for the year.
Yes, but why shouldn't they market their site to the general public as a place for people to look for "MEMBERS" as places they would want to stay?
Because it is not an association of Bed and Breakfasts, it is an association of innkeepers. Keeping focus is important. If they become a marketing arm, and get used as PAII recommended inns, then people can complain to PAII about an inn..and PAII would then have to take action against a member...a member who is there to benefit from membership, not be judged or admonished. They are smart to avoid the slippery slope of becoming a member marketing channel.
Well said Swirt...what I was thinking but could not articulate...there is just no way to do both well.

It is $79 for the year.
Our state does fantastic as both an association and directory site. But I do see what you mean SWIRT. Since there is no inspection, standard criteria etc for being a member, I guess it would be hard to do.

It is $79 for the year.
I paid my dues to be "one of that number as the Saints go marching in" Sorry, but I don't think joining PAII is going to help you with that at all.
I think you're guilty of the same thing that Jay admonished me about in regards to advocacy, which is "unrealistic expectations". With 3,000 members, the 1000 pound gorilla is not shaking in his boots.

It is $79 for the year.
I paid my dues to be "one of that number as the Saints go marching in" Sorry, but I don't think joining PAII is going to help you with that at all.
I think you're guilty of the same thing that Jay admonished me about in regards to advocacy, which is "unrealistic expectations". With 3,000 members, the 1000 pound gorilla is not shaking in his boots.
Sweetie- Did TA listen to you when you complained loud and long to them? Did they sit down with you and at least pretend like they were listening to you? I don't think so.
They DID sit down with Jay. They did pretend to listen. He has his foot in the door. Stop bashing what he is trying to accomplish because it did not meet your particular ends. Please.
I don't think anyone here is saying that PAII can leap tall buildings in a single bound, but they're trying to accomplish what we can't as individual properties. They're trying to get our voices heard. And not just the members of PAII, all of the properties that fall under the 'B&B' umbrella.
So, if Jay manages to get some small edge out there for B&B's YOU will also be helped whether you join or not. It won't just be the people who joined, it will be all of us. I guess I looked at it as I do NPR. I listen and it was about time I supported. But I didn't have to and I still benefited.

It is $79 for the year.
Sweetie- Did TA listen to you when you complained loud and long to them? Did they sit down with you and at least pretend like they were listening to you? I don't think so.
They DID sit down with Jay. They did pretend to listen. He has his foot in the door. Stop bashing what he is trying to accomplish because it did not meet your particular ends. Please.
I don't think anyone here is saying that PAII can leap tall buildings in a single bound, but they're trying to accomplish what we can't as individual properties. They're trying to get our voices heard. And not just the members of PAII, all of the properties that fall under the 'B&B' umbrella.
So, if Jay manages to get some small edge out there for B&B's YOU will also be helped whether you join or not. It won't just be the people who joined, it will be all of us. I guess I looked at it as I do NPR. I listen and it was about time I supported. But I didn't have to and I still benefited.
Actually, neither one did. I didn't expect TripAdvisor to, but I did expect an organization that purports to represent innkeepers to be more supportive than it was. So you can all get off your soapboxes now.

It is $79 for the year.
With 3,000 members, the 1000 pound gorilla is not shaking in his boots.
You just made my point. With 3000 members that gorilla may give lip service but if there were 10,000 members they may actually give an ear.

It is $79 for the year.
Actually, neither one did. I didn't expect TripAdvisor to, but I did expect an organization that purports to represent innkeepers to be more supportive than it was. So you can all get off your soapboxes now.
SweetiePie said:
So you can all get off your soapboxes now.
Maybe EVERYONE should climb down.

It is $79 for the year.
With 3,000 members, the 1000 pound gorilla is not shaking in his boots.
You just made my point. With 3000 members that gorilla may give lip service but if there were 10,000 members they may actually give an ear.
Well, apparently just lowering the membership price hasn't done the trick. There are apparently more reasons that the majority of innkeepers are not seeing the benefit of joining PAII.

Back