What can they do that my State Assoc cannot!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone,
Sorry this will be relatively short and sweet. We have the New England Innkeeping Show starting on Monday, and if you’ve ever been in event management, then you know what the final week is like!
confused_smile.gif

I want to address a few of the issues brought up on this thread. And thanks for contributing to the discussion. Most of you know that we are serious listeners at PAII. We might not change everything based on every piece of criticism or advice, but we very serious about listening to all opinions. And, we have made many changes at PAII since I came on board 2.5 years ago – all of came as a result of feedback from members and non-members. In fact, as you might know, a task force of non-members from this very forum helped me shape our new membership model. (Thanks again to all who participated – we’re seeing a great uptick in membership numbers since launching the new menu of options). I have traveled thousands and thousands of miles over the past two years, visiting nearly every state and regional B&B conference in the US and Canada (only a handful left that I haven’t attended). The point of this is to build bridges will all the allied associations out there and to LISTEN to what both innkeepers and associations on the ground have to say about the industry, PAII and the challenges that we all face.
The new PAII web site at www.innkeeping.org
It’s true – not everyone likes the new design. That’s ok. Generally, we feel it’s a lot better than the old web site. The software company we chose to host our new web site and database has a list of about 20 templates from which we could have chosen for our new site. This one gave us the most flexibility to post our own content, links, etc. We’re going to take a look from time-to-time at the template options to see if a change makes sense. I know the site is very busy. There’s a lot of information we want to have on the home page, including industry events, latest news, top priorities (the middle section) and links to navigate throughout the site. We never intended the site to be as simple as, say, the home page of a good B&B site. They’re apples and oranges. And, the site is not intended to be a consumer directory. It’s an association membership directory, so that people in our association can find innkeepers, vendors and other associations. The directory search tool is not good. I’m working with the software company to give clients (like PAII) more flexibility with designing the search tool, because one size does not fit all (they have over 600 clients). We’re stuck with that right now, but this company is very good about making changes based on good, logical client feedback. The social networking features of the new site are starting to catch on. Like Facebook, www.innkeeping.org allows users to form/join groups, post content to “walls” in those groups, have “friends” (called “connections”), chat live with connections, subscribe to just about any are of the site for updates, get daily digests of the forum discussions emailed to you, etc. It’s very feature-rich – just a matter of figuring out to simplify it and make it more intuitive to use. We’ll continue to work on it.
PAII as a B&B directory
This has long been an issue of discussion in our association – should PAII develop and support a consumer-oriented B&B directory? There have been fits and starts at us having one, but when I came on board in June 2007, I put the kibosh on the project. I didn’t think having such a directory fit with our mission, and I wasn’t interested in spending the great majority of our time and energy supporting a directory that competed with the 12+ national directories that were already out there in our industry. Nevertheless, there’s always been a restless crowd of innkeepers (some on our board too) who want us to still have a directory – even if it doesn’t promise to compete head-to-head with the likes of bbonline, bnbfinder, iloveinns, etc. Without a doubt, we often heard from members who were not renewing (at the previous $250 level) that “if PAII had a consumer directory, we would probably stick around.” The question really is – would they stick around if PAII had a directory…or if we had an EFFECTIVE directory that showed up on Google searches, produced reservations, etc. To make a national B&B directory successful, we would either have to reallocate all of our staff time to this project alone, or figure out how to double our staff to make it happen. The directories mentioned above do nothing but try to make their directories work, so there’s no fooling about what kind of commitment it would take. So, we’ve backed away from that issue and focused more on networking, education, lobbying and vendor discounts for innkeepers. NOW, that all being said – we’re working on building a PAII B&B directory.
regular_smile.gif
I’ll explain more in a minute.
$79 membership and what that gets you
First of all, you should know the $79 Silver Membership option turns into $89 on November 16. We’ve been running a special since October 5. Likewise, the $169 Gold Membership turns into $199 and the $259 Platinum Membership turns into $289. Someone mentioned that you might not get member pricing on the conference at the $79 level. You do. All members get to pay the PAII member pricing for conference registrations. The major difference between Silver and the higher levels has to do with our monthly webinars. Gold Members have access to the webinars at no extra fee (Silver Members have to pay $49 for each webinar if they want to attend or get the recording). Platinum Members get the webinars too, plus they get 10% off the annual conference registration and they get to take part in live, online evening chats once a month on topics of interest. The November webinar and “Platinum Chat” will be about gift cards – the ins/outs, legal issues, options in the market, best practices, etc. Just in time for the holiday season! By the way, if you can’t attend the live webinar, you will still get a link to the recording, so you can watch/listen on your own time. You can watch it on the web or download it to your iWhatever. The bottom line reason we lowered our price to $89 is because we know how important it is to have large numbers. We can be more effective when we have 8,000 members. We heard loud and clear that if we had a membership option for under $100, that more innkeepers would join and more would stick around. It just wasn’t a great value at $250 (the average ticket price before the changes). I wasn’t going to keep my head in the sand about that – we had to do something, and we did. And it wasn’t just a matter of dropping our price, we changed the membership model completely. We’re taking a risk by doing this, but it’s nice having an inexpensive option in this economy and we think it will help grow our membership in the short and long term. To “SweetiePie’s” comment about lowering the price “hasn’t done the trick”…it’s only been one month since we launched the new membership model. It’s going to take time.
I can understand why innkeepers in the past dropped out of PAII – for a number of years we lacked effective leadership and direction. We’re working our tails off to remedy that situation and to achieve higher numbers than we ever have in the past. We’re working on some initiatives that will hopefully benefit the ENTIRE bed and breakfast industry – not just PAII members. In fact, that’s the philosophy behind sending the magazine to all B&Bs in our database – member or not. We think some things are important enough to go beyond the member wall.

A new campaign
I alluded to PAII working on building our own B&B directory. The purpose of it would not be to stand alone and compete with other directories; it’s to be part of something bigger we are working on. There is no industry-wide effort going on right now to get more people to stay at B&Bs. There are individual efforts happening by folks like bedandbreakfast.com, bnbfinder.com, iloveinns.com and others to get good press out there for B&Bs – but ultimately those efforts are intended to get eyeballs back at their own web sites, so that their respective member B&Bs (not necessarily just the greater industry) will possibly get more leads, reservations, etc. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, there is no real effort happening on behalf of the ENTIRE industry to get our product into the consciousness of the people who don’t consider B&Bs when traveling. A survey we did last spring revealed that the number 1 reason people who don’t stay at B&Bs don’t stay at B&Bs is…it doesn’t even cross their minds when booking travel! About 50% of “inn-don’t-goers” (as opposed to inn-goers) said B&Bs don’t even register in their minds as an option when booking travel. We at PAII have started the development of a true grassroots PR campaign to convince more travelers they should stay at B&Bs. It’s a beast of a project to undertake, and we’re being as deliberate as we can about what we think we can accomplish, but nevertheless we think it’s important; important enough to get the ball rolling. There are those in our industry that say we don’t have the resources to pull off an effective PR campaign for our industry. I won’t lie – it will never be anything like Got Milk? or Beef: It’s What’s for Dinner. We don’t have those resources in our industry. But we certainly can be a consolidating source of all the good press that’s out there on B&Bs, we can deliver a message about why B&Bs can be the preferred choice of lodging for all kinds of travelers and today’s technology can allow us to stay fresh with our campaign’s content and outreach capabilities. We want it to be THE INDUSTRY’s neutral ground on which to tell all the great stories and provide the many reasons to stay at B&Bs. If we build such a web site for this campaign, everyone on our planning task force feels there should be (among other choices) a way for visitors to find PAII properties – hence the PAII directory within the campaign site. I won’t go into all the details here; we hope to provide some kind of preview into the campaign at the upcoming Innkeeping Show in Austin.
Obviously, we think all innkeepers should support TODAY’s PAII for many reasons. We’ll likely never have 100% of the industry in our membership; in fact, most national trade associations never top 40% penetration of their entire marketplace (the exceptions are usually associations that provide mandatory credentialing, like medical-related associations). As the job of an innkeeper continually gets tougher and tougher, and as the world around us changes more quickly, the need for a formidable association like PAII becomes more important. Everyone is going to make their individual value judgment on whether or not it’s worth $89 to not only support PAII’s efforts, but also to get something in return for you personally or professionally.
We’ve launched the new Key Value Program, in which over 50 vendor members are offering standing deals/discounts to PAII members. Our educational communications have very high open rates, and we assume it’s because innkeepers are getting something out of the educational and news articles we share weekly and monthly. Our webinars have been well-received, and our conferences continue to have over 95% stellar reviews from attendees. The advocacy work we are doing is paying off – the Travel Promotion Act will soon pass both houses of Congress (I was in DC lobbying for it), and I’m certain that TripAdvisor has made some good changes to their web site – and more are coming. I know for a fact that TA is doing more than just giving me a polite ear – specific recommendations I’ve made about their site for change have happened…nowhere yet near what I’d like to see or what some irate innkeepers would like to see, but changes have happened and will continue to happen, as long as I have the senior executive-level attention. Their CEO will be on stage with me next Tuesday morning at our New England Innkeeping Show, answering tough questions about their site, policies and direction. Trust me when I say Stephen Kaufer has no obligation to PAII to come to town and sit in the hot seat in front of 250+ innkeepers. He’s doing so, because he values my participation in helping to make their site a better tool for the B&B industry.
Enough, my dear supporters and critics. You are ultimately the final judge and jury about PAII’s value in this B&B industry and for your business. Membership is on the rise…the word on the street is once again positive (with a few obvious exceptions herewith)…and we’re getting things done. I invite any and all innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers to join the growing ranks at www.innkeeping.org.
I guess this was bit longer than I anticipated.
regular_smile.gif
Thank you for taking the time Jay.
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” --Theodore Roosevelt 26th President
Instead of quotes from dead presidents, PAII would benefit more from some instruction on how to turn critics into supporters as presented in this article.
For Nonprofit Organizations: How to Handle Online Criticism[/h3]
  • In other words, what you do is going to be more powerful than what you say.
  • If the critic is pointing out something your organization should have done, but didn't, for whatever reason, accept the criticism. Consider offering a straightforward and sincere apology, and details on how the problem will be addressed. In short, keep this in mind at all times: when people care enough to criticize, they need to be taken seriously, and you need to show that you have taken them seriously. A timely, personal and sincere apology could have turned me around and made me feel really positive toward the organization.
There is no question SweetiePie felt PAII disrespected her with regard to how we handled her TripAdvisor grievance. When we opened it up to the industry to send us their grievances, we certainly encountered a wide variety of opinions and levels of emotion...and by stepping out publicly to take on this issue, we also encountered a wide variety of expectations of what PAII could or should do about individual grievances. Some folks just shared their stories with no real expectation for change, and some others were happy to FedEx to our office a new flamethrower that I was supposed to take with me to the TripAdvisor office.
Whether or not we handled SweetiePie's issue in the right or wrong way, she feels wronged. And as the article she shared suggests we do, PAII should have taken all responsibility for handling the situation incorrectly. At the end of the day, regardless of who is right or wrong, if we wanted to keep her as a member, the thing we should have done was to apologize for a perceived wrongdoing and done our best to make up for it.
This situation is not unlike the negative review in question on SweetiePie's TripAdvisor listing, which was at the center of her grievance (among other TripAdvisor issues). The reviewer had a serious complaint, and SweetiePie submitted her own management response. I would encourage SweetiePie to also take some of the same advice she shared with me to her own heart, because regardless of who is right or wrong in her battle with this former guest, there is no tone of apology, regret, or desire to make things right...the same tone she advises we should have taken with her. I feel like the proverbial kettle being called black by the pot, which is perhaps why I did't take special care to repair the damage felt by this member. But that was my shortcoming and lapse in judgment.
I apologize to the group that this issue has been brought into the spotlight, but I suppose this forum is a place for innkeepers to complain about vendors or organizations. And that's ok. My apologies to SweetiePie that we didn't handle her and her issue to her satisfaction.
"I suppose this forum is a place for innkeepers to complain about vendors or organizations."
Yes it is. Pamela Lanier has been raked over the coals, as have I Love Inns and Bed and Breakfast.com by several members oh here but they are never told told to suck it up and stop whining. I guess it depends on just who is doing the complaining.

I happen to respect DEAD presidents.
Sweetie Pie you have been on this forum from day one with an ax to grind. It weighs so heavy on the innkeepers on this forum...so heavy..
Then you should appreciate this quote as well.
"Without debate, without criticism, no administration and no country can succeed -- and no republic can survive."
- John F, Kennedy

Hi everyone,
Sorry this will be relatively short and sweet. We have the New England Innkeeping Show starting on Monday, and if you’ve ever been in event management, then you know what the final week is like!
confused_smile.gif

I want to address a few of the issues brought up on this thread. And thanks for contributing to the discussion. Most of you know that we are serious listeners at PAII. We might not change everything based on every piece of criticism or advice, but we very serious about listening to all opinions. And, we have made many changes at PAII since I came on board 2.5 years ago – all of came as a result of feedback from members and non-members. In fact, as you might know, a task force of non-members from this very forum helped me shape our new membership model. (Thanks again to all who participated – we’re seeing a great uptick in membership numbers since launching the new menu of options). I have traveled thousands and thousands of miles over the past two years, visiting nearly every state and regional B&B conference in the US and Canada (only a handful left that I haven’t attended). The point of this is to build bridges will all the allied associations out there and to LISTEN to what both innkeepers and associations on the ground have to say about the industry, PAII and the challenges that we all face.
It’s true – not everyone likes the new design. That’s ok. Generally, we feel it’s a lot better than the old web site. The software company we chose to host our new web site and database has a list of about 20 templates from which we could have chosen for our new site. This one gave us the most flexibility to post our own content, links, etc. We’re going to take a look from time-to-time at the template options to see if a change makes sense. I know the site is very busy. There’s a lot of information we want to have on the home page, including industry events, latest news, top priorities (the middle section) and links to navigate throughout the site. We never intended the site to be as simple as, say, the home page of a good B&B site. They’re apples and oranges. And, the site is not intended to be a consumer directory. It’s an association membership directory, so that people in our association can find innkeepers, vendors and other associations. The directory search tool is not good. I’m working with the software company to give clients (like PAII) more flexibility with designing the search tool, because one size does not fit all (they have over 600 clients). We’re stuck with that right now, but this company is very good about making changes based on good, logical client feedback. The social networking features of the new site are starting to catch on. Like Facebook, www.innkeeping.org allows users to form/join groups, post content to “walls” in those groups, have “friends” (called “connections”), chat live with connections, subscribe to just about any are of the site for updates, get daily digests of the forum discussions emailed to you, etc. It’s very feature-rich – just a matter of figuring out to simplify it and make it more intuitive to use. We’ll continue to work on it.
PAII as a B&B directory
This has long been an issue of discussion in our association – should PAII develop and support a consumer-oriented B&B directory? There have been fits and starts at us having one, but when I came on board in June 2007, I put the kibosh on the project. I didn’t think having such a directory fit with our mission, and I wasn’t interested in spending the great majority of our time and energy supporting a directory that competed with the 12+ national directories that were already out there in our industry. Nevertheless, there’s always been a restless crowd of innkeepers (some on our board too) who want us to still have a directory – even if it doesn’t promise to compete head-to-head with the likes of bbonline, bnbfinder, iloveinns, etc. Without a doubt, we often heard from members who were not renewing (at the previous $250 level) that “if PAII had a consumer directory, we would probably stick around.” The question really is – would they stick around if PAII had a directory…or if we had an EFFECTIVE directory that showed up on Google searches, produced reservations, etc. To make a national B&B directory successful, we would either have to reallocate all of our staff time to this project alone, or figure out how to double our staff to make it happen. The directories mentioned above do nothing but try to make their directories work, so there’s no fooling about what kind of commitment it would take. So, we’ve backed away from that issue and focused more on networking, education, lobbying and vendor discounts for innkeepers. NOW, that all being said – we’re working on building a PAII B&B directory.
regular_smile.gif
First of all, you should know the $79 Silver Membership option turns into $89 on November 16. We’ve been running a special since October 5. Likewise, the $169 Gold Membership turns into $199 and the $259 Platinum Membership turns into $289. Someone mentioned that you might not get member pricing on the conference at the $79 level. You do. All members get to pay the PAII member pricing for conference registrations. The major difference between Silver and the higher levels has to do with our monthly webinars. Gold Members have access to the webinars at no extra fee (Silver Members have to pay $49 for each webinar if they want to attend or get the recording). Platinum Members get the webinars too, plus they get 10% off the annual conference registration and they get to take part in live, online evening chats once a month on topics of interest. The November webinar and “Platinum Chat” will be about gift cards – the ins/outs, legal issues, options in the market, best practices, etc. Just in time for the holiday season! By the way, if you can’t attend the live webinar, you will still get a link to the recording, so you can watch/listen on your own time. You can watch it on the web or download it to your iWhatever. The bottom line reason we lowered our price to $89 is because we know how important it is to have large numbers. We can be more effective when we have 8,000 members. We heard loud and clear that if we had a membership option for under $100, that more innkeepers would join and more would stick around. It just wasn’t a great value at $250 (the average ticket price before the changes). I wasn’t going to keep my head in the sand about that – we had to do something, and we did. And it wasn’t just a matter of dropping our price, we changed the membership model completely. We’re taking a risk by doing this, but it’s nice having an inexpensive option in this economy and we think it will help grow our membership in the short and long term. To “SweetiePie’s” comment about lowering the price “hasn’t done the trick”…it’s only been one month since we launched the new membership model. It’s going to take time.
I can understand why innkeepers in the past dropped out of PAII – for a number of years we lacked effective leadership and direction. We’re working our tails off to remedy that situation and to achieve higher numbers than we ever have in the past. We’re working on some initiatives that will hopefully benefit the ENTIRE bed and breakfast industry – not just PAII members. In fact, that’s the philosophy behind sending the magazine to all B&Bs in our database – member or not. We think some things are important enough to go beyond the member wall.

A new campaign
I alluded to PAII working on building our own B&B directory. The purpose of it would not be to stand alone and compete with other directories; it’s to be part of something bigger we are working on. There is no industry-wide effort going on right now to get more people to stay at B&Bs. There are individual efforts happening by folks like bedandbreakfast.com, bnbfinder.com, iloveinns.com and others to get good press out there for B&Bs – but ultimately those efforts are intended to get eyeballs back at their own web sites, so that their respective member B&Bs (not necessarily just the greater industry) will possibly get more leads, reservations, etc. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. But, there is no real effort happening on behalf of the ENTIRE industry to get our product into the consciousness of the people who don’t consider B&Bs when traveling. A survey we did last spring revealed that the number 1 reason people who don’t stay at B&Bs don’t stay at B&Bs is…it doesn’t even cross their minds when booking travel! About 50% of “inn-don’t-goers” (as opposed to inn-goers) said B&Bs don’t even register in their minds as an option when booking travel. We at PAII have started the development of a true grassroots PR campaign to convince more travelers they should stay at B&Bs. It’s a beast of a project to undertake, and we’re being as deliberate as we can about what we think we can accomplish, but nevertheless we think it’s important; important enough to get the ball rolling. There are those in our industry that say we don’t have the resources to pull off an effective PR campaign for our industry. I won’t lie – it will never be anything like Got Milk? or Beef: It’s What’s for Dinner. We don’t have those resources in our industry. But we certainly can be a consolidating source of all the good press that’s out there on B&Bs, we can deliver a message about why B&Bs can be the preferred choice of lodging for all kinds of travelers and today’s technology can allow us to stay fresh with our campaign’s content and outreach capabilities. We want it to be THE INDUSTRY’s neutral ground on which to tell all the great stories and provide the many reasons to stay at B&Bs. If we build such a web site for this campaign, everyone on our planning task force feels there should be (among other choices) a way for visitors to find PAII properties – hence the PAII directory within the campaign site. I won’t go into all the details here; we hope to provide some kind of preview into the campaign at the upcoming Innkeeping Show in Austin.
Obviously, we think all innkeepers should support TODAY’s PAII for many reasons. We’ll likely never have 100% of the industry in our membership; in fact, most national trade associations never top 40% penetration of their entire marketplace (the exceptions are usually associations that provide mandatory credentialing, like medical-related associations). As the job of an innkeeper continually gets tougher and tougher, and as the world around us changes more quickly, the need for a formidable association like PAII becomes more important. Everyone is going to make their individual value judgment on whether or not it’s worth $89 to not only support PAII’s efforts, but also to get something in return for you personally or professionally.
We’ve launched the new Key Value Program, in which over 50 vendor members are offering standing deals/discounts to PAII members. Our educational communications have very high open rates, and we assume it’s because innkeepers are getting something out of the educational and news articles we share weekly and monthly. Our webinars have been well-received, and our conferences continue to have over 95% stellar reviews from attendees. The advocacy work we are doing is paying off – the Travel Promotion Act will soon pass both houses of Congress (I was in DC lobbying for it), and I’m certain that TripAdvisor has made some good changes to their web site – and more are coming. I know for a fact that TA is doing more than just giving me a polite ear – specific recommendations I’ve made about their site for change have happened…nowhere yet near what I’d like to see or what some irate innkeepers would like to see, but changes have happened and will continue to happen, as long as I have the senior executive-level attention. Their CEO will be on stage with me next Tuesday morning at our New England Innkeeping Show, answering tough questions about their site, policies and direction. Trust me when I say Stephen Kaufer has no obligation to PAII to come to town and sit in the hot seat in front of 250+ innkeepers. He’s doing so, because he values my participation in helping to make their site a better tool for the B&B industry.
Enough, my dear supporters and critics. You are ultimately the final judge and jury about PAII’s value in this B&B industry and for your business. Membership is on the rise…the word on the street is once again positive (with a few obvious exceptions herewith)…and we’re getting things done. I invite any and all innkeepers and aspiring innkeepers to join the growing ranks at www.innkeeping.org.
regular_smile.gif
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.” --Theodore Roosevelt 26th President
Instead of quotes from dead presidents, PAII would benefit more from some instruction on how to turn critics into supporters as presented in this article.
  • If the critic is pointing out something your organization should have done, but didn't, for whatever reason, accept the criticism. Consider offering a straightforward and sincere apology, and details on how the problem will be addressed. In short, keep this in mind at all times: when people care enough to criticize, they need to be taken seriously, and you need to show that you have taken them seriously. A timely, personal and sincere apology could have turned me around and made me feel really positive toward the organization.
There is no question SweetiePie felt PAII disrespected her with regard to how we handled her TripAdvisor grievance. When we opened it up to the industry to send us their grievances, we certainly encountered a wide variety of opinions and levels of emotion...and by stepping out publicly to take on this issue, we also encountered a wide variety of expectations of what PAII could or should do about individual grievances. Some folks just shared their stories with no real expectation for change, and some others were happy to FedEx to our office a new flamethrower that I was supposed to take with me to the TripAdvisor office.
Whether or not we handled SweetiePie's issue in the right or wrong way, she feels wronged. And as the article she shared suggests we do, PAII should have taken all responsibility for handling the situation incorrectly. At the end of the day, regardless of who is right or wrong, if we wanted to keep her as a member, the thing we should have done was to apologize for a perceived wrongdoing and done our best to make up for it.
This situation is not unlike the negative review in question on SweetiePie's TripAdvisor listing, which was at the center of her grievance (among other TripAdvisor issues). The reviewer had a serious complaint, and SweetiePie submitted her own management response. I would encourage SweetiePie to also take some of the same advice she shared with me to her own heart, because regardless of who is right or wrong in her battle with this former guest, there is no tone of apology, regret, or desire to make things right...the same tone she advises we should have taken with her. I feel like the proverbial kettle being called black by the pot, which is perhaps why I did't take special care to repair the damage felt by this member. But that was my shortcoming and lapse in judgment.
I apologize to the group that this issue has been brought into the spotlight, but I suppose this forum is a place for innkeepers to complain about vendors or organizations. And that's ok. My apologies to SweetiePie that we didn't handle her and her issue to her satisfaction.
"I suppose this forum is a place for innkeepers to complain about vendors or organizations."
Yes it is. Pamela Lanier has been raked over the coals, as have I Love Inns and Bed and Breakfast.com by several members oh here but they are never told told to suck it up and stop whining. I guess it depends on just who is doing the complaining.
There is a difference which I do not expect to be seen. I would say each of us, in our time, has taken lumps. We give the monitor the "salute", go away and pout for a day or two, or just keep on keepin' on. Those you have cited have been discussed at various times and some have taken more lumps than others - but I must say only one of the above came into the Forum with a direct and personal attack. But even that one comes and goes as warranted. No one else injects the same dead horse at every opportunity.
I am VERY good at "beating a dead horse", just ask my City Manager, but I do know how to eventually dig the hole and bury the damned thing. Several years ago, one woman in this City destroyed a revenue stream that was not only good for me, but was also good for that particular organization and the City. With a change in leadership of that organization, I am now rebuilding that market of guests. BUT, over the years, I may have mentally told that woman where to go and what to do with herself, but have ALWAYS been civil in person and this year even made her Chair of something that would bring her applause. What I am saying is GIVE IT A REST!! I have always heard that hate only hurts the hater and quite frankly Sweetie Pie, this issue sounds as if it is eating you alive - long after the problem is history. For that I am sorry because I only wish you well.

Hi everyone,
confused_smile.gif

PAII as a B&B directory
regular_smile.gif

A new campaign
regular_smile.gif
Errr...you expressed criticism over some specific parts of the website (criticism I agree with by the way) and Jay specifically agreed with you and mentioned how improving that is in the works. So in my book, Jay handled that well.
But you aren't refering to that are you? You're going back to your "PAII is ineffective because they didn't get my specific bad/fraudulent TripAdvisor review removed" rant. PAII isn't likely to ever serve that feature because it is not scalable to their entire membership. They would get completely swamped with dealing with every individual bad tripadvisor review that they would be completely ineffective at everything else. It would increase their membership tremendously, as every B&B with a bad review would pay $89 just to have their bad reviews battled, but it is not sustainable. They need to focus on bigger picture influence as they have done and seem to be continuing to do.
Swirt, I'm really disappointed in you. You're the last person I would expect to try and explain a situaion by putting words in someone else's mouth. The test of the maturity of any forum is its ability to handle dissent and I'm afraid this one has failed badly.
To attack anyone who disagrees with you is very immature in my opinion. Perhaps that explains why with over 500 members, so few are willing to interact.
SweetiePie, I didn't attack you, nor did I abolish dissent. I said I agree with you about the criticism of the website. I am sorry if I put words in your mouth. You can further clarify your hatred of TripAdvisor and PAII as much as you want. I am sure there are others who want to hear more about it.
Perhaps that explains why with over 500 members, so few are willing to interact.
Please show me a more active "open" innkeeper forum and I'll be happy to take notes on how to improve this one.

I don't add much here because I'm still absorbing. But in the near future I hope to be helping others like so many of you have helped me.

Hi everyone,
confused_smile.gif

PAII as a B&B directory
regular_smile.gif

A new campaign
regular_smile.gif
Errr...you expressed criticism over some specific parts of the website (criticism I agree with by the way) and Jay specifically agreed with you and mentioned how improving that is in the works. So in my book, Jay handled that well.
But you aren't refering to that are you? You're going back to your "PAII is ineffective because they didn't get my specific bad/fraudulent TripAdvisor review removed" rant. PAII isn't likely to ever serve that feature because it is not scalable to their entire membership. They would get completely swamped with dealing with every individual bad tripadvisor review that they would be completely ineffective at everything else. It would increase their membership tremendously, as every B&B with a bad review would pay $89 just to have their bad reviews battled, but it is not sustainable. They need to focus on bigger picture influence as they have done and seem to be continuing to do.
Swirt, I'm really disappointed in you. You're the last person I would expect to try and explain a situaion by putting words in someone else's mouth. The test of the maturity of any forum is its ability to handle dissent and I'm afraid this one has failed badly.
To attack anyone who disagrees with you is very immature in my opinion. Perhaps that explains why with over 500 members, so few are willing to interact.
SweetiePie, I didn't attack you, nor did I abolish dissent. I said I agree with you about the criticism of the website. I am sorry if I put words in your mouth. You can further clarify your hatred of TripAdvisor and PAII as much as you want. I am sure there are others who want to hear more about it.
Perhaps that explains why with over 500 members, so few are willing to interact.
Please show me a more active "open" innkeeper forum and I'll be happy to take notes on how to improve this one.
I'm sorry if I accused you unfairly. Sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint the issue to the correct poster. It has been brought up here repeatedly, "Why Are You People So Mean?" Most recently by Old Charm, who is no longer here. People who disagree are attacked on here; it is a fact. I'm not saying it is anything you personally can do anything about but I'm sure it influences others who may be hesitant to speak out on a subject.

Hi everyone,
confused_smile.gif

PAII as a B&B directory
regular_smile.gif

A new campaign
regular_smile.gif
There is a difference which I do not expect to be seen. I would say each of us, in our time, has taken lumps. We give the monitor the "salute", go away and pout for a day or two, or just keep on keepin' on. Those you have cited have been discussed at various times and some have taken more lumps than others - but I must say only one of the above came into the Forum with a direct and personal attack. But even that one comes and goes as warranted. No one else injects the same dead horse at every opportunity.
I am VERY good at "beating a dead horse", just ask my City Manager, but I do know how to eventually dig the hole and bury the damned thing. Several years ago, one woman in this City destroyed a revenue stream that was not only good for me, but was also good for that particular organization and the City. With a change in leadership of that organization, I am now rebuilding that market of guests. BUT, over the years, I may have mentally told that woman where to go and what to do with herself, but have ALWAYS been civil in person and this year even made her Chair of something that would bring her applause. What I am saying is GIVE IT A REST!! I have always heard that hate only hurts the hater and quite frankly Sweetie Pie, this issue sounds as if it is eating you alive - long after the problem is history. For that I am sorry because I only wish you well.
You are the one who brought up the subject beating the drum about how everyone should join PAII before the discount runs out. That's fine for you to express your opinion. Not everyone agrees with it. I should have the same opportunity to express my opinion, as did others who disagreed. I don't hate PAII and I sleep very well at night. The problem is only history once it is solved; and a phoney apology combined with an attack solves nothing.

Hi everyone,
confused_smile.gif

PAII as a B&B directory
regular_smile.gif

A new campaign
regular_smile.gif
I'm sorry if I accused you unfairly. Sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint the issue to the correct poster. It has been brought up here repeatedly, "Why Are You People So Mean?" Most recently by Old Charm, who is no longer here. People who disagree are attacked on here; it is a fact. I'm not saying it is anything you personally can do anything about but I'm sure it influences others who may be hesitant to speak out on a subject.
It has been brought up here repeatedly, "Why Are You People So Mean?" Most recently by Old Charm, who is no longer here. People who disagree are attacked on here; it is a fact. I'm not saying it is anything you personally can do anything about but I'm sure it influences others who may be hesitant to speak out on a subject.
Old Charm changed to a new screen name and continued participating on the forum for quite some time without incident. People come and go for a variety of reasons. Some may go because some people are mean. Some may stay for the same reason. This forum is active, reactive and responsive in ways that no other "open" innkeeper forum is. It is the people on the forum that make it so. There are some open innkeeper forums that are sweet as pie (no pun intended) where nothing is ever challenged, nothing debated, no one playing devil's advocate, no spammer challenged ... largely nothing happening but crickets chirping. The value is questionable.
As far as attacks for disagreeing, I think it is largely related to who is disagreeing with who, what the topic is, and whether or not someone is just having a bad day. As I read this thread, it would be easy for someone to see it as you are attacking Jay, he could be walking away saying, "why is this forum so mean?" and vow not to participate (that would be a shame) ... It's all relative.

Hi everyone,
confused_smile.gif

PAII as a B&B directory
regular_smile.gif

A new campaign
regular_smile.gif
You don't apologize to a liar; you call a lie a lie. There was no truth in that review and it's only purpose was to tear down and denigrate my business.
My beef with you is not about your inability to get the review removed, which it now turns out that you didn't even attempt but stonewalled about for months; but by the disrespectful way I was treated by you and the staff and members of PAII while I was trying to get the issue resolved. You have ignored my questions on both the PAII forum and this one. The only reason you come on here is to try and put a positive spin on things.
To be addressed as a Valued Member when it is time to renew my membership, after I've been mistreated for a year, is a slap in the face.

Hi everyone,
confused_smile.gif

PAII as a B&B directory
regular_smile.gif

A new campaign
regular_smile.gif
It has been brought up here repeatedly, "Why Are You People So Mean?" Most recently by Old Charm, who is no longer here. People who disagree are attacked on here; it is a fact. I'm not saying it is anything you personally can do anything about but I'm sure it influences others who may be hesitant to speak out on a subject.
Old Charm changed to a new screen name and continued participating on the forum for quite some time without incident. People come and go for a variety of reasons. Some may go because some people are mean. Some may stay for the same reason. This forum is active, reactive and responsive in ways that no other "open" innkeeper forum is. It is the people on the forum that make it so. There are some open innkeeper forums that are sweet as pie (no pun intended) where nothing is ever challenged, nothing debated, no one playing devil's advocate, no spammer challenged ... largely nothing happening but crickets chirping. The value is questionable.
As far as attacks for disagreeing, I think it is largely related to who is disagreeing with who, what the topic is, and whether or not someone is just having a bad day. As I read this thread, it would be easy for someone to see it as you are attacking Jay, he could be walking away saying, "why is this forum so mean?" and vow not to participate (that would be a shame) ... It's all relative.
"As I read this thread, it would be easy for someone to see it as you are attacking Jay,"
If guess if presenting the facts is an attack, it could be viewed that way. I'm tired of people coming on here who haven't been members for years, if ever, telling us how great the organization is. What are they basing it on? At least I'm speaking from personal experience.
Having 3,000 members isn't an overwhelming mandate from the innkeeping community. That last article in USA Today promoting B&Bs was trashed in the comments section
You'll notice Jay ignorned my question asking him to document the changes Trip Advisor has made as a result of his negotiations.
To attack me because I didn't apologize to a liar who concocted a false review just to be defamatory is a low blow indeed; as is refusing to represent me while never even asking for clarification.
To find out now, over a year later, that he never even spoke to Trip Advisor about my complaint is another eye opener, when I asked repeatedly what was being done and got nothing but excuses.
If this is how PAII represents innkeepers, then I made the right decision not to renew my membership.

For the readers who would like to make up your own minds about some information referred to here - the pertinent links:
SweetiePie said:
That last article in USA Today promoting B&Bs was trashed in the comments section
This is not true. That article got about 20 comments (unmoderated) including a few spam links, a few rabble-rousers who turn everything to a political statement, and a few from people in support of B&Bs and people who don't like them. No trashing of the article or its contents at all. If you want to read comments that trash a travel article for real, check out this story. Laura is a well-known and well-published travel writer who stays at B&Bs on her own dime, not just when she is doing a story. She is here as a guest at least twice a year (and no, I'm not one of the B&Bs in the story). And the industry could hardly ask for better publicity about B&Bs than her sidebar of tips for finding a B&B, which includes a list of directories, not just one or two, and advises caution in using Tripadvisor and other review sites.
SweetiePie said:
You'll notice Jay ignorned my question asking him to document the changes Trip Advisor has made as a result of his negotiations.
It has been asked and answered before, to no avail:
https://www.innspiring.com/node/3353
https://www.innspiring.com/node/3282

For the readers who would like to make up your own minds about some information referred to here - the pertinent links:
SweetiePie said:
That last article in USA Today promoting B&Bs was trashed in the comments section
This is not true. That article got about 20 comments (unmoderated) including a few spam links, a few rabble-rousers who turn everything to a political statement, and a few from people in support of B&Bs and people who don't like them. No trashing of the article or its contents at all. If you want to read comments that trash a travel article for real, check out this story. Laura is a well-known and well-published travel writer who stays at B&Bs on her own dime, not just when she is doing a story. She is here as a guest at least twice a year (and no, I'm not one of the B&Bs in the story). And the industry could hardly ask for better publicity about B&Bs than her sidebar of tips for finding a B&B, which includes a list of directories, not just one or two, and advises caution in using Tripadvisor and other review sites.
SweetiePie said:
It has been asked and answered before, to no avail:
https://www.innspiring.com/node/3353
https://www.innspiring.com/node/3282.
I guess you had to try and find something to defend, since his behavior was indefensible. The only relative positive comments were one from Sandy Soule and people trying to advertise their own B&Bs.
The worst was a comment from a gentleman intimating that wife-swapping activities could be found at B&Bs. That doesn't show that we're getting much respect from the community at large.
For the record, none such comments were found on the B&B.com article.
If this is the level of representation you're happy with. Go for it!

SweetiePie said:
I guess if presenting the facts is an attack, it could be viewed that way.
There is no comment regarding wife-swapping on the USA Today article. If it did exist, it has been removed by their moderators for its offensiveness. Of the 20 comments, 5 were negative - one negative about B&Bs, the other four politically-oriented.
Just pointing out the facts.

SweetiePie said:
There is no comment regarding wife-swapping on the USA Today article. If it did exist, it has been removed by their moderators for its offensiveness. Of the 20 comments, 5 were negative - one negative about B&Bs, the other four politically-oriented.
Just pointing out the facts..
It was on there and I even posted a copy of it on one of the threads questioning if this really goes on. I'm glad to see that they can get their negative reviews removed, even if they can't do anything about ours.

SweetiePie said:
It was on there and I even posted a copy of it on one of the threads questioning if this really goes on. I'm glad to see that they can get their negative reviews removed, even if they can't do anything about ours.
SweetiePie said:
I'm really having trouble following your train of thought here. You are blaming PAII for website comments submited to an article written by USAToday? And then you are suggesting PAII exerted its influence to get a comment made by some crackpot suggesting wifeswapping removed on USAToday??? Is there some affiliation between PAII and USAToday that I have missed out on?

I put a positive spin on things...you put a negative spin on things. I'm sure the truth lies somewhere in between.
Onward and upward..
An apology combined with an attack is not an apology in my book. Notice how he avoided all of the issues. Now folks you know why I call him "The Artful Dodger".
" And view as well "Apology's Sorry State", by Workforce Management editor John Hollon. "Even at that point, when they finally, grudgingly admitted their transgression, the 'apology' I received was terribly shallow and totally insincere. I came away from the incident wondering how the company manages to keep any customers at all given such a ham-handed business philosophy. Who wants to deal with an organization that behaves like that?... a timely, personal and sincere apology could have turned me around and made me feel really positive toward the organization. Instead, I was left with the strong impression that it was a shoddy operation with bad business practices an organization that would do the right thing only if somebody forced it to."

SweetiePie said:
SweetiePie said:
I'm really having trouble following your train of thought here. You are blaming PAII for website comments submited to an article written by USAToday? And then you are suggesting PAII exerted its influence to get a comment made by some crackpot suggesting wifeswapping removed on USAToday??? Is there some affiliation between PAII and USAToday that I have missed out on?
There is no difference between what happened to me and what happened to PAII. Some crackpot wrote a review whose only pupose was to denigrate. The difference is that USAToday honors their Terms of Service and Trip Advisor doesn't. I don't know who notified them of the abusive comment, but they did the right thing and removed it.
Jay has contacted me offline with a sincere apology and we will be discussing the matter for the first time offline. I respect him for that and it looks like we have both learned something from the article and the interaction.

Wir bieten schöne Heimkehr Kleider zu günstige Preisen online. Custom Heimkehr Kleider design nach dem Foto. So einfach finden Sie Ihr Traum Heimkehr Kleider.[h3] Brautgeschäfte Heimkehr kurzen Kleid [/h3]
Die Braut kann so viel Zeit der Entscheidung über das perfekte Brautkleid, dass sie während ihren großen Tag tragen. Während sie vielleicht schon entschieden haben, die Farbe des Kleides, wird der nächste Job, wie lange das Kleid sollte.
Vorbei sind die Zeiten brautkleider brautmode brautkleider brautmode, in denen Frauen ar zu langen, knöchellangen Brautkleid tragen müssen. Es ar viel Länge Entscheidungen für die moderne Braut, und sie können die verschiedenen Möglichkeiten Dauer Forschung, bevor sie auf ihrem Kleid die Länge entscheidet.
Hier sind einige der häufigsten Möglichkeiten cocktailkleider günstig , wenn es um die Länge kommt abendkleider billig abendkleider billig:
Länge am Boden
Denken Sie an eine sehr formelle Hochzeit und ein Boden-Abstand Kleid wird dein Geist geben. Eine bodenlange Kleid passt zu jedem Kleidungsstil. Allerdings, wenn Sie an der kurzen Seite sind, kann die Wahl dieser Länge oft übertreiben Ihre geringe Bauhöhe.
Ankle Abstand
Ein Knöchel entfernt Kleid ist im Wesentlichen genau wie der Boden Dauer Kleid, brautjungfernkleider online shop beruht nur kürzer als der Saum an den Knöcheln. Wenn Sie ar nicht groß genug, brautkleider abendkleider brautkleider abendkleider aber Sie möchten einen längeren Kleid dann einen Knöchel Abstand Kleid würde nicht die beste Wahl günstige schlichte brautkleider , aber Sie können Ihre Höhe durch das Tragen von High Heels hinzuzufügen. Allerdings ist die Auswahl an den Fersen, online abendkleider shop online abendkleider shop dass Ihre knöchellangen Kleid passen würde auch ein anderes Problem.
Knielange
Ein Knie Abstand Kleid ist die perfekte Wahl für ein Outdoor-oder einen Garten Hochzeit. Wer ar nicht so talentiert in Höhe kann stattdessen zeigen tolle Beine durch das Tragen dieses Kleides.
Die Ballerina Kleid kann, solange die Knöchel oder zwischen den Knien und den Knöcheln. Was macht es anders ist, dass sie von einem vollen Rock geprägt ist, günstige brautkleider für schwangere ähnlich wie die tutu durch Ballerinen, die ihren Namen erklärt getragen. Dieser Abstand Design kann sehr sexy und lustig.
  • Toilettenpapier Hochzeitskleid
  • engen Brautkleidern
  • crew Brautkleider
  • gesammelt Brautkleider
  • tiffany Brautkleider
rote ballkleider kindermode mädchen
brautmode 2012

Back