What do I do now

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyd

Reaction score
I am thinking this is the next step... I am looking for an opportunity to learn the Bed and Breakfast industry, to become an innkeeper, and then own a BNB. I am reaching out if you all know about BNB's and have been in the business. I have been in the hospitality business for more of my adult life. But recently in the past 3 years I have focused on hotel work like operating the Front Desk, Housekeeping, and classes in hospitality from Colorado Mountain College. I would appreciate the wisdom from others.

Check with the college to see if they can put you in touch with b&b owners who would be willing to mentor you. Get some first hand experience at an actual b&b.
If your ultimate plan is to buy one, put together a plan on how to achieve that goal.
Attend the state association meeting to meet more people in the field.

Hi Mike, I'm the odd duck here in that we are an 8 room mom & pop motel, similar in size, but no breakfast.
My training, I had stayed at similar, but larger places in my area as a guest on vacation and it seemed like a good idea at the time. Twenty-five plus years now I still love what we do.
My view, if you have a passion for serving your guests, the rest of the business comes natural, the difficult part is coming up with the funds to get started.

I always suggest the same things to guests who think they'd like to own & run a B&B: Try innsitting for week. Find an innkeeper eager to take a week-long vacation and then offer to innsit for them.
You'll get a taste of the experience minus all the paperwork/business headaches, and you'll know after a week if you'll really enjoy it.

Learn as much as you can and save every cent. I mean every cent. Get a good paying job. The money issue is where most dreams don't became reality. But dreams can come true but it requires work and research. I read somewhere that you should use just a credit card to see how much money you use a year/month/week/day for daily living. It will also show where money slips into cracks like coffee/soda/snacks stops. Just some information I found helpful.

We stayed at Bed & Breakfasts and asked the innkeepers if we could spare some of their time for questions. We never got turned away as we were always respectful of their time. We also attended a conference, met a bunch of great people, and learned learned learned.

Learn as much as you can and save every cent. I mean every cent. Get a good paying job. The money issue is where most dreams don't became reality. But dreams can come true but it requires work and research. I read somewhere that you should use just a credit card to see how much money you use a year/month/week/day for daily living. It will also show where money slips into cracks like coffee/soda/snacks stops. Just some information I found helpful..
Thank you for your advise. That is what I have decided I have to do, I have budget all my pay checks with a spread sheet

I always suggest the same things to guests who think they'd like to own & run a B&B: Try innsitting for week. Find an innkeeper eager to take a week-long vacation and then offer to innsit for them.
You'll get a taste of the experience minus all the paperwork/business headaches, and you'll know after a week if you'll really enjoy it..
Yes thank you, I am on the hunt for an innsitting job or an inn that needs help so I can get experience and but not just right into a b&b. One step at a time.

Back