What do I DO with this???

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Ok, this review showed up today and I feel that I should respond, but not certain exactly what to say. Help, please!!
My wife & I found the ******* to be on beautiful property and centrally located to many attractions we wanted to attend. We had never stayed at a B&B before. We found it very strange & uncomfortable. We explained to the proprietor, that it was not for us. She allowed us to check out after just 1 night & only charged us for that night. Her hospitality is incredible! Her cooking is delicious. A fabulous selection of rooms that include amenities like hot tubs and fireplaces. A firm bed, hot shower, dvd's, books, and quilts await you ...

It is not a bad review. They complimented you...they just realized B & B is not their kind of stay. If you feel a need to respond, something like "thank you for your kind words. We realize a B & B stay is not suited to everyone. We are glad you tried your first stay with us."

CL said what I was going to. I would LOVE to get a review that good - they even said you did charge them for the night. It was not as if they posted you let them out of everything, you were hospitable enough to acknowledge B & B was not for everyone.

I think that was pretty cool, actually. Very complimentary, and it sounded like they are just not B&B people.

Agree with CL- if you feel you have to say something, say what she said!

Guests at the table are all discussing Trip Advisor, each one of them read and especially look at the photos on TA.

It is not a bad review. They complimented you...they just realized B & B is not their kind of stay. If you feel a need to respond, something like "thank you for your kind words. We realize a B & B stay is not suited to everyone. We are glad you tried your first stay with us.".
Im with catlady it just wasnt for them and they freely admitted it I woudn't take it as a criticism of your place.

I agree with the others. It's a good review but they are owning up to the fact that they found a B&B type of lodging just isn't for them. I would definitely respond in a similar way to what Catlady suggested.

I agree with CL.
That was a wonderful review and reflected well on you and your place. Sheesh, with all those glowing comments, it's hard to believe they were uncomfortable. They're just not b&b people.

I think they were just so appreciative of being let off the second night that they wanted to repay in kind. Like that quote I added to innspiring quotes today. Sometimes NOT picking the battle is the best way to go. I really do think this is great, who does this? Who doesn't feel comfortable and then proceeds to write something so nice? I am amazed.

I think they were just so appreciative of being let off the second night that they wanted to repay in kind. Like that quote I added to innspiring quotes today. Sometimes NOT picking the battle is the best way to go. I really do think this is great, who does this? Who doesn't feel comfortable and then proceeds to write something so nice? I am amazed.

Agree with everyone else. They freely admit the issue was theirs, not you..
Highlands John said:
Agree with everyone else. They freely admit the issue was theirs, not you.
I think this is groundbreaking. Seriousely. The first time at any inn we have seen or heard "It's not about you, it's me" I mean, is this why we are all so happy to read this? I know I am! It is monumental.
If the wind blows, it is about us. If the leaves fall too fast, it is about us. If there is a traffic accident, it is about us. If they can't work out how to turn on the tv, it is about us. This is a breath of fresh air I say!

Agree with everyone else. They freely admit the issue was theirs, not you..
Highlands John said:
Agree with everyone else. They freely admit the issue was theirs, not you.
I think this is groundbreaking. Seriousely. The first time at any inn we have seen or heard "It's not about you, it's me" I mean, is this why we are all so happy to read this? I know I am! It is monumental.
If the wind blows, it is about us. If the leaves fall too fast, it is about us. If there is a traffic accident, it is about us. If they can't work out how to turn on the tv, it is about us. This is a breath of fresh air I say!
I agree the guest took the responsibility and it's a first wherein they did not also attach a 'but...' afterwards. My guess is Aussie is concerned about the sole comment that the guest found it 'weird and uncomfortable'. Everything else was wonderful, but what, other than the guests' misconceptions made it weird and uncomfortable? That's what the review readers will be asking.

I see where Aussie Innkeeper is coming from. The review was kind of like saying "she's ugly, but has a nice personality", which is code for "she's ugly".

Lynn,
I think most of us are also glad that they just happened to choose your great B&B for their 1st experience. Can you imagine the backlash had they picked a less than spectacular one?! They would have bad mouthed all B&B's thinking they were all the same. And if someone (not as kind as yourself) had charged them for the entire stay...what a disaster that could have been. Sometimes we just need to let them go. I believe you handled the whole situation very well and no words are really necessary in reply to their post, but I agree CL said it best if you feel a need to respond.

Back