What do you do for a living?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, guilty. We ask our guests (if they have not already said) what they do in (whatever State/city) and then we ask what they do for fun. Both have started some very interesting discussions. Last weekend we had DH and one man talking motorcycles, the 2 wives were talking about - I do not remember but were so engaged that they ended by exchanging contact info, and the other man & I were talking sailing. When I asked what he does for fun - the gates opened and the discussion rolled! We have both had such varied interests that we can get into great conversations as long as they stay away from metaphysics, etc.
And a friend who was studying for her phD refers to it as a post hole digger..
See one thing I agreed with my husband about:)
We NEVER asked our guests, what they did, or anything really personal. We figured if they brought it up on their own in conversation it was fine but we never would be the ones to ask that.
As much as I was curious, he convinced me that we respect their privacy when they stayed with us. We were providing the bed and the breakfast and any assistance we could give them..but their lives were really none of our business. So our talk usually centered around "things to do" making dinner reservations and answering any questions they had. If in conversation, other personal info came up, fine..but we didn't ask.
For some reason, people spill their guts to us about all kinds of things. haha! We also don't dig at all but I think we're pretty good listeners.
I find that the most interesting things about people are not what they do to live (pay the bills), but what they live to do (what they have passion for). We have just met the most interesting folks! I was interviewed for a magazine article recently & we ended up talking more about this gal & her husband's "hobby" - they're restoring a historic private railroad car and will take people on trips when it's finished. There is an association of people that do this & hook their cars onto Amtrak. So interesting!
And I try to discourage my dh from talking too much about his other job...it's kinda boring to me. hahahaha! But there has been the occasional tech geek that's enjoyed hearing about it.
cheers.gif

Samster said:
And I try to discourage my dh from talking too much about his other job...it's kinda boring to me. hahahaha! But there has been the occasional tech geek that's enjoyed hearing about it.
cheers.gif
Heaven help me on the tech geek talk. I watch guests' eyes glaze over and try to change the subject.
Bree said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif
Heaven help me on the tech geek talk. I watch guests' eyes glaze over and try to change the subject.
See that is where DH finds his niche. If guests talk to him about his real job, then they disclose their profession as being in the I.T. industry, he gets a kick out of it. They might be on gvmt contractor side or something so they hit it off.
But DH is not a talker, so he is the "charming australian" as the reviewer wrote, who can say and do whatever he wants and they laugh and want to hear him talk. He has them feeding out of his hand. WHAT EVER!
rolleyes.gif

OK, guilty. We ask our guests (if they have not already said) what they do in (whatever State/city) and then we ask what they do for fun. Both have started some very interesting discussions. Last weekend we had DH and one man talking motorcycles, the 2 wives were talking about - I do not remember but were so engaged that they ended by exchanging contact info, and the other man & I were talking sailing. When I asked what he does for fun - the gates opened and the discussion rolled! We have both had such varied interests that we can get into great conversations as long as they stay away from metaphysics, etc.
We NEVER asked our guests, what they did, or anything really personal. We figured if they brought it up on their own in conversation it was fine but we never would be the ones to ask that.
As much as I was curious, he convinced me that we respect their privacy when they stayed with us. We were providing the bed and the breakfast and any assistance we could give them..but their lives were really none of our business. So our talk usually centered around "things to do" making dinner reservations and answering any questions they had. If in conversation, other personal info came up, fine..but we didn't ask.
For some reason, people spill their guts to us about all kinds of things. haha! We also don't dig at all but I think we're pretty good listeners.
I find that the most interesting things about people are not what they do to live (pay the bills), but what they live to do (what they have passion for). We have just met the most interesting folks! I was interviewed for a magazine article recently & we ended up talking more about this gal & her husband's "hobby" - they're restoring a historic private railroad car and will take people on trips when it's finished. There is an association of people that do this & hook their cars onto Amtrak. So interesting!
cheers.gif

Samster said:
cheers.gif
Bree said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif
See that is where DH finds his niche. If guests talk to him about his real job, then they disclose their profession as being in the I.T. industry, he gets a kick out of it. They might be on gvmt contractor side or something so they hit it off.
But DH is not a talker, so he is the "charming australian" as the reviewer wrote, who can say and do whatever he wants and they laugh and want to hear him talk. He has them feeding out of his hand. WHAT EVER!
rolleyes.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif
rolleyes.gif
It's ok if the guests are in IT. Then they are happy to chat. It's when he's got a roomful of 'shoppers' who want to hit the street and he's yammering on about work.

cheers.gif

Samster said:
cheers.gif
Bree said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif
rolleyes.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif
rolleyes.gif
It's ok if the guests are in IT. Then they are happy to chat. It's when he's got a roomful of 'shoppers' who want to hit the street and he's yammering on about work.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
Samster said:
cheers.gif
rolleyes.gif
or worse, talking to ME ABOUT IT!
edited to say, I have to add tho, I would rather listen to I.T. than shopping!!!

It is so interesting ...one of the things discussed in a New Earth is "WHO ARE YOU...really?"
Everything we are used to saying about who we are ... are merely LABELS. People want to label everyone and put them in the "right place"...do they fit in my circle? Can they help me in some way, Are they good enough etc etc
Alot of deep thinking here lately. Try to enter into a conversation with anyone WITHOUT asking things like "what do you do?", where do you work? etc It is all labeling...and not doing it is REALLY hard!!!
Sorry I am in one of my pensive moods today with this weather.
Oops...I just updated Firefox again, reloaded and guess what...still no new emoticons with it????.
After reading A New Earth I think more and more about the question of 'what people do'. Perhaps it's because of my international guest list but the subject usually comes up and it's usually a great source of conversation. Often there are people in the same profession and it gives them a chance to talk about the differences between countries.
It seems to me that Americans are 'different' from Europeans (and Canadians sometimes :-} ) in that you don't want to talk about politics, religion or things personal. In other countries it's a great source for conversation and healthy debate and discussion. I don't know why it is so upsetting to you (generalizing here) or why it these subjects are so difficult to talk about without having raised blood pressure.
I have learned sooooooo very much from my guests by listening to, and participating in, some really great discussions on the above topics.

catlady said:
Your proximity to DC was probably what prompted that. We can sure google if we feel the urge, but we don't ask anyone either. In fact, we have an unspoken rule as well. The man who is very wealthy and his wife who stayed here never said a word, but his name kept ringing a bell for me, so I googled him. I thought later on that those guests never knew they were dining with a multi-millionaire. I think that is cool and the way it should be.
teeth_smile.gif

yep...knowing that I was serving a multi millionaire would freak me out. Hey they all put their pants on the same way..one leg at a time:)

catlady said:
Your proximity to DC was probably what prompted that. We can sure google if we feel the urge, but we don't ask anyone either. In fact, we have an unspoken rule as well. The man who is very wealthy and his wife who stayed here never said a word, but his name kept ringing a bell for me, so I googled him. I thought later on that those guests never knew they were dining with a multi-millionaire. I think that is cool and the way it should be.
teeth_smile.gif

yep...knowing that I was serving a multi millionaire would freak me out. Hey they all put their pants on the same way..one leg at a time:)
catlady said:
I am more freaked out serving innkeepers, or foodies.

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yep that would get me too..so I don't want to know:) Found out we had several chefs with us..glad I did not know.

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
Yep that would get me too..so I don't want to know:) Found out we had several chefs with us..glad I did not know.
catlady said:
I was sad to know AFTER on one ocassion, but relieved as well, so I didn't freak. She had that cooking show in Indiana. She was not here to critique or anything, but I was glad she didn't let me know before breakfast. Another guy was a chef in Richmond VA - but it didn't phase me, he owned a sports bar.

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
catlady said:
One reason I don't Google guests in advance! We had 2 young 'uns a few weeks ago who wanted to know where all the micro breweries were. So we talked to them about the places we knew, got them directions, etc. The morning they left (3 days later) we asked how they had liked the microbreweries and what was their interest? He's a chef and she's a hotelier in NYC. I said, 'I'm glad I didn't know that 3 days ago!'

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
catlady said:
I was sad to know AFTER on one ocassion, but relieved as well, so I didn't freak. She had that cooking show in Indiana. She was not here to critique or anything, but I was glad she didn't let me know before breakfast. Another guy was a chef in Richmond VA - but it didn't phase me, he owned a sports bar.
My son the Chef never criticizes another's cooking. He just says they have another way of doing it.

catlady said:
teeth_smile.gif

catlady said:
One of our first guests was a gentleman who was a regional food & beverage manager for Ritz Carlton! Eek! I was glad that I didn't know that until later in their stay. He told me that I passed muster with flying colors.
thumbs_up.gif
Whew...
The techno babble is OK unless you notice people looking like deer caught in the highlights
whattha.gif
haha!

Back