What do you do for Valentine's Day?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eleanor Brown

Reaction score
Presumably Valentine's Day is one of the busiest times for inns and B&Bs - what do you do to make it special for YOU rather than the guests?

I'm offering free chocolate covered strawberries to try to get people in. Doing better than last year, so I guess it worked!
=)
Kk.

I'm offering free chocolate covered strawberries to try to get people in. Doing better than last year, so I guess it worked!
=)
Kk..
No, no, what are you doing for YOU, the innkeeper? How are you guys celebrating?
I'm curious because we don't celebrate anything anymore.

We have never celebrated V-Day, just always felt that it didn't have any special significance for us and was a manufacted holiday to sell cheesy cards, chocolates and roses (none of which really float my boat).
Instead we celebrate the anniversary of when we began dating (which is conveniently 6 months before/after our wedding anniversary, so I get spoiled twice per year
wink_smile.gif
).
We got boxed chocolates for the guests, didn't advertise it I just saw a good deal at the store and picked them up. This weekend will be all about keeping everything shoveled for the guests, portions of our road are still not plowed although thankfully we can get in/out. We got a total of about 45 inches, the snow plow piles are just hilarious (8 feet tall in some places)...we're going to be white washed until April I think.

We are taking our two oldest children and their significant others out to dinner in the big city. We don't get to see them often enough so I'm thrilled. The guests all get a box of gourmet chocolates.

We surprise each other with treats. Usually involving chocolate. And usually something new.
This year I'm digging up one of my recipes from 15 years ago for Bittersweet Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Torte.
It gets more and more tricky as the years go on to come up with a recipe that DH hasn't sampled yet.

Since our niche is romantic getaway, it's a big holiday for us. This year I put on a 3 night minimum for the first time and we still filled up quickly. It also helps that it's a holiday on Monday. I liked that idea better than raising the rates.
For the guests, we'll have in our common area for 1 night only, a chocolate fountain with lots of yummies to dunk in it. I also went to the dollar store and bought really cute small valentine lunch boxes which I'll open up and put a small teddy bear surrounded by little heart/valentine candies/chocolate lips, etc. I also bought red roses and will divide them up in small vases for each room. Each room will also get a personalized valentines card I print up on the computer.
For ourselves, we generally just get each other a small token....a card, some candy, etc.

Since our niche is romantic getaway, it's a big holiday for us. This year I put on a 3 night minimum for the first time and we still filled up quickly. It also helps that it's a holiday on Monday. I liked that idea better than raising the rates.
For the guests, we'll have in our common area for 1 night only, a chocolate fountain with lots of yummies to dunk in it. I also went to the dollar store and bought really cute small valentine lunch boxes which I'll open up and put a small teddy bear surrounded by little heart/valentine candies/chocolate lips, etc. I also bought red roses and will divide them up in small vases for each room. Each room will also get a personalized valentines card I print up on the computer.
For ourselves, we generally just get each other a small token....a card, some candy, etc..
3 night min. That is awesome! This is a case where it pays to have a niche.

=)
Kk..
No, no, what are you doing for YOU, the innkeeper? How are you guys celebrating?
DH gave me a card that has a version of the peom we used in our wedding vows. He was standing in line waiting to get his drugs and started looking at cards (his story) and when he saw the verse decided it was a keeper.
It is the poem - I love you not for what you are but for what I am when I am with you.... Franklin McCormick was an overnight personality at radio station WGN and every night he had the Torch Hour, all love songs, and would begin the Torch Hour with this poem in his deep sexy voice.....

=)
Kk..
DH gave me a card that has a version of the peom we used in our wedding vows. He was standing in line waiting to get his drugs and started looking at cards (his story) and when he saw the verse decided it was a keeper.
It is the poem - I love you not for what you are but for what I am when I am with you.... Franklin McCormick was an overnight personality at radio station WGN and every night he had the Torch Hour, all love songs, and would begin the Torch Hour with this poem in his deep sexy voice.....
He is definitely a keeper.

=)
Kk..
He is definitely a keeper.
Yes. He has been good lately - have not had thoughts of "where is the bag of cement" for quite a while. Enjoying it while it lasts.

For ourselves, we generally just get each other a small token....a card, some candy, etc..
Wow, I might need to rethink celebrating this holiday. Chocolate candies are not my thing but a chocolate fountain...I could do some damage there!!! Sounds like a wonderful treat for your guests. And good thinking on the 3 night minimum! This is our slow time so it didn't even hit me until last week that Monday was President's Day...Oh, I guess that's why we have so many reservations for Sunday night...doh!

i may go buy myself a chocolate bar ... a big one..
Yeah, this is all making me hungry right now. So I'm having hot cocoa! I bought a bag of 'odds and ends' on Wed from Wilbur's Chocolates. 1 lb of enrobed 'things' that didn't make the cut. Wrong size, wrong shape, whatever. Choco covered cranberries, blueberries, nuts, coffee beans, malted milk balls. All gone.

Yeah, this is all making me hungry right now. So I'm having hot cocoa! I bought a bag of 'odds and ends' on Wed from Wilbur's Chocolates. 1 lb of enrobed 'things' that didn't make the cut. Wrong size, wrong shape, whatever. Choco covered cranberries, blueberries, nuts, coffee beans, malted milk balls. All gone.
My saddlbags increased just reading about it! Jealous!!

My saddlbags increased just reading about it! Jealous!!
It's tough to keep my mitts off all the goodies...think goodness I'm currently on a diet! I think I can, I think I cannnnn!

Everyday at the Little Blue Inn is Valentine's Day! That being said, D. and I have not bought each other a gift for years; not for Christmas, Birthdays or V-day. He knows the way to my heart is a six-pack of beer from the local microbrewery!

Back