what do you do to boost energy? i'm a sluggish grump

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well... nothing like getting a bunch of reservations to perk me up!
(That, and a 3 mile hike, on a gorgeous day, in our gorge.)
I think one reason for feeling blah was the dearth of upcoming reservations... took one on the phone on the way home and had three more on the email.
Yay!
=)
Kk..
Just counted - from now til the end of Oct - I have 32 room nights booked - and I am here in Podunk!!
gillumhouse said:
Just counted - from now til the end of Oct - I have 32 room nights booked - and I am here in Podunk!!
32!! That's fabulous!
This was homecoming weekend and I only had three room nights. I was starting to blame the economy. I was at ten room nights for the month (and three of those were for my best friend, but she says she must pay me) and debating whether to run some kind of special. Now I'm at 18! Almost doubled in one afternoon! And there's hope for more!
Last year October was good, so I was bummed when it looked sparse. We have homecoming and Family Weekend and Columbus Day...
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.

I think one reason for feeling blah was the dearth of upcoming reservations... took one on the phone on the way home and had three more on the email.
Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
This was homecoming weekend and I only had three room nights. I was starting to blame the economy. I was at ten room nights for the month (and three of those were for my best friend, but she says she must pay me) and debating whether to run some kind of special. Now I'm at 18! Almost doubled in one afternoon! And there's hope for more!
Last year October was good, so I was bummed when it looked sparse. We have homecoming and Family Weekend and Columbus Day...
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
I have a friend also who insists on paying - so I give her a "such a deal" of 50% - enough to cover costs and let her be comfortable with coming. I give her Women's Club a package every year so last year she bought it so 2 of her 6 nights were free, she brought 2 other rooms with her (her sister and another lady) and gave them the same rate as hers, Everyone was happy! All those week nights a full house? You bet, any day. 6 of those nights will be freebies but all the rest are either rack rate or packages that bring even more!!

Seashanty, do you take vitamins? I take a B-Complex every single day. If I forget for a day, I KNOW it. I can tell by 3 pm or so that I haven't gotten it into my system.
You exhaustion might be mental (no offense :) ). This time in your life is coming to an end and all the emotional and mental stress that you have been under for the past few years is coming up. I won't be suprised if when this is over, you sleep for days on end. Your strength and will suprise me each time I log on and see what you have accomplished.

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Excellent, We have had a slow September (very messy teachers strike, and the not normal horrible rainy weather). October already has more booked nights and we are just beginning. We are also taking next week off as we have friends from Canada :) coming to visit. Time for a bit of travel.
How many years after opening do you need to know when your peak and down times are? Because of the unusual circumstances this year, we are thinking it will take at least 2.

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Excellent, We have had a slow September (very messy teachers strike, and the not normal horrible rainy weather). October already has more booked nights and we are just beginning. We are also taking next week off as we have friends from Canada :) coming to visit. Time for a bit of travel.
How many years after opening do you need to know when your peak and down times are? Because of the unusual circumstances this year, we are thinking it will take at least 2.
Cathy said:
I agree, I'm thinking at least 2.
Last year we opened our second guest room in mid-October, in part because the demand was there. And the first room was well booked. It just seemed like a month when a lot of people traveled and was a lot better than September last year.
So far this year, September was pretty good. October was looking sparse but has picked up nicely (since yesterday).
=)
Kk.

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
And then it can change on you quickly. We had a very different pattern our first two years than in the last four. Our occupancy really jumped after our second full year - even though we were an established business, the PO had let some things go and business was much slower than what we shown in the reports. It seemed like the word-of-mouth and repeat business took hold in that third year and now our occupancy is more predictable.

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
We had the PO's numbers to go on for the first couple of years and we didn't do anything like their numbers, and never have. So, using our OWN numbers we decide best times for vacations, etc. However, we have been tripped up by shifting holiday dates like our Labor Day and Presidents' Day. The first year we had no guests booked in for the week after Labor Day so I went on vacation with my mom. The next year I tried to do that again and we were full. Same thing again last year, altho we weren't full over the holiday weekend itself. This year, because the 'weekend' was half in August, we were packed.
We had been taking the second weekend in Sept off as a respite for ourselves. Last year we had a wedding booked in, this year we were full again. So, even with 4 years of our own data, I'm not sure what's what!
The Valentine's Day/Presidents' Day combined weekend kills us in Feb. BUT, when they are separated, we get 2 good weekends.
The front page of the newspaper today was all about hoping the fall foliage season makes up for the lousy summer. I had the best summer season ever this year and foliage season is tanking. I should be full everyday this week, not even close. And it's not just me.
So, yes, you do need at least 2 years to determine your average peaks and valleys, but don't depend on it.
Gillum House said she has 32 roomnights booked in for the remainder of the month. That's slightly less than I have and I have twice the rooms. The only thing that's saving us this month is a slew of college parents' weekends and Columbus Day/Thanksgiving (Canada) holidays. And with the crash of a couple of German banks today, my guess is the Europeans will be headed home soon.
I'm thinking whoever survives this year, will come out a healthier business.

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
We had the PO's numbers to go on for the first couple of years and we didn't do anything like their numbers, and never have. So, using our OWN numbers we decide best times for vacations, etc. However, we have been tripped up by shifting holiday dates like our Labor Day and Presidents' Day. The first year we had no guests booked in for the week after Labor Day so I went on vacation with my mom. The next year I tried to do that again and we were full. Same thing again last year, altho we weren't full over the holiday weekend itself. This year, because the 'weekend' was half in August, we were packed.
We had been taking the second weekend in Sept off as a respite for ourselves. Last year we had a wedding booked in, this year we were full again. So, even with 4 years of our own data, I'm not sure what's what!
The Valentine's Day/Presidents' Day combined weekend kills us in Feb. BUT, when they are separated, we get 2 good weekends.
The front page of the newspaper today was all about hoping the fall foliage season makes up for the lousy summer. I had the best summer season ever this year and foliage season is tanking. I should be full everyday this week, not even close. And it's not just me.
So, yes, you do need at least 2 years to determine your average peaks and valleys, but don't depend on it.
Gillum House said she has 32 roomnights booked in for the remainder of the month. That's slightly less than I have and I have twice the rooms. The only thing that's saving us this month is a slew of college parents' weekends and Columbus Day/Thanksgiving (Canada) holidays. And with the crash of a couple of German banks today, my guess is the Europeans will be headed home soon.
Bree said:
Today's paper's front page was the stunning close of a cookie factory that's been open since the 50's. Every year kids from all the local schools toured it, including my class many years ago. Now it's closed and 100 people are out of work.
=(
Kk.

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
And then it can change on you quickly. We had a very different pattern our first two years than in the last four. Our occupancy really jumped after our second full year - even though we were an established business, the PO had let some things go and business was much slower than what we shown in the reports. It seemed like the word-of-mouth and repeat business took hold in that third year and now our occupancy is more predictable.
muirford said:
We have had Thanksgiving weeks booked solid and then the next year maybe one guest one night traveling through enroute to home. I can't bank on it every being the same. I WISH I COULD!

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
Bree said:
Today's paper's front page was the stunning close of a cookie factory that's been open since the 50's. Every year kids from all the local schools toured it, including my class many years ago. Now it's closed and 100 people are out of work.
=(
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Bree said:
=(
Kk.
That is so very sad!
Here is something front page on our local paper today, to tie in with your school tours comment. And nO I am not making this up, it really says this:
"School administrators encourage children to read"

Yay!
=)
Kk..
gillumhouse said:
32!! That's fabulous!
Much happier now!
cheers.gif

=)
Kk.
muirford said:
We have had Thanksgiving weeks booked solid and then the next year maybe one guest one night traveling through enroute to home. I can't bank on it every being the same. I WISH I COULD!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
muirford said:
Youngest (pregnant) daughter is in her first home this year. She has invited the whole family for dinner. I have one lone booking in the house on T-Day. I was all set to email to remind them of the booking in the hopes they would cancel so I could go to daughter's house for dinner. He called me to 'book his room'. I said, 'You booked last year when you left.' (And then said, 'Rats!' to myself.) If no one else books, I'll be kicking myself...

Seashanty, do you take vitamins? I take a B-Complex every single day. If I forget for a day, I KNOW it. I can tell by 3 pm or so that I haven't gotten it into my system.
You exhaustion might be mental (no offense :) ). This time in your life is coming to an end and all the emotional and mental stress that you have been under for the past few years is coming up. I won't be suprised if when this is over, you sleep for days on end. Your strength and will suprise me each time I log on and see what you have accomplished..
Yeah, that's all that all hard working innkeepers need...vitamins.
rolleyes.gif
Couln't be that we work ourselves to death every day?
My inn-mate in Texas had a guest tell her the same thing...because of enormous restraint, she didn't throttle the guest.
Yes, that was sarcasm....

You exhaustion might be mental (no offense :) ). This time in your life is coming to an end and all the emotional and mental stress that you have been under for the past few years is coming up. I won't be suprised if when this is over, you sleep for days on end. Your strength and will suprise me each time I log on and see what you have accomplished..
rolleyes.gif
My inn-mate in Texas had a guest tell her the same thing...because of enormous restraint, she didn't throttle the guest.
Samster said:
rolleyes.gif
Couln't be that we work our asses off everyday?
Samster, I was simply pointing out that with all the hard work innkeepers DO do they have to take care of themselves, too. I never implied that it was a cure-all.
Your comment bothers me that you would think, after reading all my posts, that I would even insinuate that an innkeeper's life is a piece of cake. I have expressed my admiration and awe of your group many times.

rolleyes.gif
Samster said:
rolleyes.gif
Samster, I was simply pointing out that with all the hard work innkeepers DO do they have to take care of themselves, too. I never implied that it was a cure-all.
Your comment bothers me that you would think, after reading all my posts, that I would even insinuate that an innkeeper's life is a piece of cake. I have expressed my admiration and awe of your group many times.
It was a joke....

rolleyes.gif
Samster said:
rolleyes.gif
It was a joke....
Samster said:
It was a joke....
Okay, then. No offense taken

rolleyes.gif
Samster said:
rolleyes.gif
That is what Dh says to me when I feel worn out. Throttling HAPPENS, not just wished for.
tounge_smile.gif

Back