what do you do to boost energy? i'm a sluggish grump

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
i need an energy boost!
is there anything i can do? caffeine (coffee) just gives me a headache. probably exercise i think. if i go stand in the dirty guest room and exercise a little while?
breakfast is done, first load of dishes are in.
i've stripped the room that had the four ladies in it and i'm already tired. this is not good. i've got three other guest rooms to flip in addition to the one i've started. now i'm procrastinating because i just want to rest.
i am thinking, i'd like to go sit out there in one of those adirondack chairs!
i'd like to hop on the ferry and just go out to that island.
i'd like to go shoppin' or apple picken'
what a grump!!! a sluggish grump .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Plow thru the work and then go sit with a clear conscience and the day's work behind you. That's what hubs would do. I have to do that because there's no choice in this biz but to get the work done. Then nap.

ah bree ... you know that won't work today.
it's 2 now, one couple showed up at 12:30 not happy they couldn't check in. i understand, they were driving a long time ... but room wasn't ready. so i had to send them away. other guests staying over let them in (thank you for helping!)
wink_smile.gif

now the rooms are done, the fluffs are done, too. i was up at 6 and have been on my feet since then (except coming in here - you guys are my coffee BREAK!) but the second load of dishes are waiting, the breakfast room and kitchen are still a mess and guest checkin starts in an hour. my feet and knees hurt, i look like hell (is that an okay word to put here?) and in spite of all the work and interruptions, it's a lonely life.
confession: i am NOT going to miss this part of innkeeping!!!
take note aspirings ... it is too much work for one person (me being the one person) to be occupied enough to pay the bills for this place, there is too much work for me to handle. if i could keep a chambermaid showing up (which i cannot because they don't want to do the w.o.r.k) the expenses are up but it is worth it and do-able ... but i need groceries and cannot leave to go get some because the check-ins are due soon and the work is not done yet
.. when i read those silly articles about this being an easy way to make money all i can do is shake my head ...

ah bree ... you know that won't work today.
it's 2 now, one couple showed up at 12:30 not happy they couldn't check in. i understand, they were driving a long time ... but room wasn't ready. so i had to send them away. other guests staying over let them in (thank you for helping!)
wink_smile.gif

now the rooms are done, the fluffs are done, too. i was up at 6 and have been on my feet since then (except coming in here - you guys are my coffee BREAK!) but the second load of dishes are waiting, the breakfast room and kitchen are still a mess and guest checkin starts in an hour. my feet and knees hurt, i look like hell (is that an okay word to put here?) and in spite of all the work and interruptions, it's a lonely life.
confession: i am NOT going to miss this part of innkeeping!!!
take note aspirings ... it is too much work for one person (me being the one person) to be occupied enough to pay the bills for this place, there is too much work for me to handle. if i could keep a chambermaid showing up (which i cannot because they don't want to do the w.o.r.k) the expenses are up but it is worth it and do-able ... but i need groceries and cannot leave to go get some because the check-ins are due soon and the work is not done yet
.. when i read those silly articles about this being an easy way to make money all i can do is shake my head ....
Sorry. I totally get it. But I have help everyday. Or, rather, hubs has help everyday!
wink_smile.gif

Bad way to look at it, but you know the tap is turning off for the guests in a couple of weeks. Is that part of it? The season is coming to a close and so is this particular part of your life? We drop off a cliff tomorrow for the coming week. Onesies-twosies.
I'm supposed to use that time to CLEAN my house as my son is coming (he says) to visit. And he's bringing someone with him. I'm not holding my breath on either count (he shows; he shows with GF in tow) but I'm using it as a 'mind game' excuse to clean. For those who think 'big deal,' I haven't seen him in over 3 years and he's never brought a GF home before, ever. And he's well into his 30's.
Even hubs said, 'If it was only him, I'd let it go, but a GF? No, we gotta clean.'

i feel the same way and don't have nearly your workload! Can't tell if it's the dark or just lack of sleep or some other reason. I can't do caffeine either... makes my heart pound for days. If you come up with something that gives you an energy boost, I'd love to know about it, too.
Having a much better day than you are, and I'm tired, too.
=)
Kk.

i feel the same way and don't have nearly your workload! Can't tell if it's the dark or just lack of sleep or some other reason. I can't do caffeine either... makes my heart pound for days. If you come up with something that gives you an energy boost, I'd love to know about it, too.
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
what dark?

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
what dark?
What DARK? Are you kidding? I'm dragging because the light has changed so much. By 5:30 all the lights are on, by 6 it's no longer daylight.

okay, i went outside and walked around the yard a bit, fast, emptied the trash bins into the barrels. felt cool tho sweaty from working (yuck, i know) got back inside and felt better from the cold air so got back to it.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
what dark?
What DARK? Are you kidding? I'm dragging because the light has changed so much. By 5:30 all the lights are on, by 6 it's no longer daylight.
Bree said:
It starts getting dark here around 7:30. Right now it's 5:15pm and the sun is shinning as bright as ever!

=)
Kk..
Another benefit to living in the South...more daylight hours it seems
regular_smile.gif
Sunset is 7:20 this evening....
I was fading & was going to take a micro nap which usually helps me. Never happened....

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
what dark?
Bree said:
It starts getting dark here around 7:30. Right now it's 5:15pm and the sun is shinning as bright as ever!
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Daylight inversion...when I was in Columbus in March it was pitch dark at 7 AM. At home, the sun was up and it was daylight at 5:45.

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
what dark?
Bree said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
Daylight inversion...when I was in Columbus in March it was pitch dark at 7 AM. At home, the sun was up and it was daylight at 5:45.
Because I'm not an early morning person, this place suits me.
regular_smile.gif
Of course, I am up at o'dark thirty when there are guests wanting early breakfast. Guests here this weekend are civil human beings...they eat at 9 or 9:30am. haha!

=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
=)
Kk.
what dark?
Bree said:
GeorgiaGirl25 said:
Bree said:
regular_smile.gif
Of course, I am up at o'dark thirty when there are guests wanting early breakfast. Guests here this weekend are civil human beings...they eat at 9 or 9:30am. haha!
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
I had to get blackout drapes for my bedroom. Doesn't block it all tho because I didn't get a drapery rod that goes around. This one sticks out 3.5" from the wall so the light gets around. And that's with a shade AND another curtain underneath. It's why I put additional curtains in the guest rooms that face east...got tired of, 'What the hell time does the sun come up here?' Which is worse where SS is, given it comes up even earlier there!

As Bree already pointed out... the darkness is upon us.
And we're definitely feeling it here.
Sun comes up a half hour later here than it did in Maryland, which is fine by me. But in the summer it would still be light out and now (almost 9 p.m.) it's been dark since 7:30.
=/
Kk.

Last year when the time change hit, I thought I had been drugged! seriously! Never had it affect me so much before, I'm feeling it now too, our first rainy weekend and all i want to do is go to bed. I was thinking of you, seashanty, when I was on my 5th load of laundry, having just finished the first round of dishes and still needed to go up and clean rooms. I agree to just plow through, because if you stop and think you'll just cry. Just finally finished cleaning the kitchen and mopping, can hear the dryer timer going off, at least I can hear the owls hooting to each other outside...
I was hoping to get to do some canning today, but the store was out of jars and I got done too late with the chores...Waaah!
It's hard, I am in the midst of chronic pain issues, so compound the exhaustion with pain, talk about grouchy! One wrong word and your toast around here!
angel_smile.gif
Who me????
Have a couple here who haven't seen each other in 2 months (he's working away from their homebase), so sweet, flowers, champagne, gifties from Victoria's Secret...1st timers at a B&B...
So my dh says to me "what do you get her when you haven't seen her in 2 months?", I say "what?", he says, "2 more months!"
Can you feel the love?
We haven't been on a getaway since before we moved here 3 years ago... I think it may be a solo trip when it happens next!
tounge_smile.gif
That turkey!

I often get the opposite effect from Seashanty. Even when I don't have guests, I wake up at 6AM thinking about all the things I need to get done, then I can't sleep anymore - even when it's things I do NOT want to do. So, I jump up out of bed and get started on whatever it is before my coffee is even done. Last night, I was up until 1AM steam cleaning carpets...back at sewing drapes very early this morning.
When I do have guests, I wake up real early, before the alarm, fearing I'll sleep through it, or won't have enough time to make breakfast, or whatever else might screw things up. So, I'm usually up and at it by 5AM when guests are here.
I need a vacation! In addition to all the off season projects I've been working on, I've spent weeks sewing new pinch pleated drapes for the living room. Finished this morning! Whewww! So, I'm headed out for my annual vacation this coming Friday...Columbus Day Regatta. I'm going here:
CDR.jpg

Only accessible by water...no roads, no electricity (except the power we generate), no nothin', but 1,500 other boats. :) Always a great time! We'll be running the webcam from Friday night to Sunday night.

Hey Seashanty,
I feel the same way as you do. I run an inn all by myself too. Do all the dishes, laundry, ironing, check-ins, you name it. This last month has been hard. I feel like just falling over in the middle of the day and collapsing. But I just have been plugging along to get the rooms done for the next check-ins. I have been making myself a protein drink now in the mornings to give myself some energy. I drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning right when I get up and started in the kitchen but that is all. I use MLO Egg and Milk protein powder and add a banana, milk, orange juice, yogurt and other fruit in it and blend it. I drink that as a snack in between my other meals when I have the smallest chance to even sit down and eat.

Well... nothing like getting a bunch of reservations to perk me up!
(That, and a 3 mile hike, on a gorgeous day, in our gorge.)
I think one reason for feeling blah was the dearth of upcoming reservations... took one on the phone on the way home and had three more on the email.
Yay!
=)
Kk.

Well... nothing like getting a bunch of reservations to perk me up!
(That, and a 3 mile hike, on a gorgeous day, in our gorge.)
I think one reason for feeling blah was the dearth of upcoming reservations... took one on the phone on the way home and had three more on the email.
Yay!
=)
Kk..
Just counted - from now til the end of Oct - I have 32 room nights booked - and I am here in Podunk!!

I often get the opposite effect from Seashanty. Even when I don't have guests, I wake up at 6AM thinking about all the things I need to get done, then I can't sleep anymore - even when it's things I do NOT want to do. So, I jump up out of bed and get started on whatever it is before my coffee is even done. Last night, I was up until 1AM steam cleaning carpets...back at sewing drapes very early this morning.
When I do have guests, I wake up real early, before the alarm, fearing I'll sleep through it, or won't have enough time to make breakfast, or whatever else might screw things up. So, I'm usually up and at it by 5AM when guests are here.
I need a vacation! In addition to all the off season projects I've been working on, I've spent weeks sewing new pinch pleated drapes for the living room. Finished this morning! Whewww! So, I'm headed out for my annual vacation this coming Friday...Columbus Day Regatta. I'm going here:
CDR.jpg

Only accessible by water...no roads, no electricity (except the power we generate), no nothin', but 1,500 other boats. :) Always a great time! We'll be running the webcam from Friday night to Sunday night..
Awesome photo!
I do that do when we have guests...I did it this morning where I was up super early. My plan was to look at the Sunday paper while drinking a cuppa. uh, no...I ended up working on something. However, I did check the college football scores.
regular_smile.gif

Guests checked out & I spent the afternoon bleach washing the porch, washing those windows, and cleaning up the porch.
The paper is taunting me on the coffee table while I type this.....
wink_smile.gif

Back