What Do You Do To Make Your Guests Feel Special?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suzie Q

Reaction score
I was wondering what everyone does to make their guests feel special? We bake cookies and try to greet guests at the door as they arriving.
(I love the bright background of this webpage! It makes it easier to see the keyboard when typing in the dark!)

I also try to get to the door before they beat on it trying to open a locked door. ;-) I was baking every day and I ended up eating all the leftovers, of which there were many, so I have stopped making snacks.
What we try to do is make sure we are smiling before we get to the door. That can be difficult at noon...
We have a nice set up for guests to help themselves to coffee and tea and most of the amenities of a kitchen except a stove. I think just making sure that room has everything they might need, being available to help and having local information is about as far as I can go. I'll also put a little giftie in the room if they've let me know it's a special event.
I'll tell you what I've been dinged on...being grumpy. (There's that noon thing again.) And not handing the guest a refreshment as they walked in the door. (You may have this as well but 99% of guests have to put down bags just to take the key for their room.)
So, this year I'm working (again) on that grumpy thing.

make sure you have software that lets you make notes on guests - ie I have 5 regulars in at the moment - one is a wheat intollerant, one is earl grey tea and no mushrooms, one is no tomatoes and one no beans - guest was also impressed that i remembered why she han't been to the show in the summer as was going to a festival.
having a quick review before they arrive works wonders!

I bake cookies and put them in their rooms next to a personalized welcome sign that I print out with Word. It's always commented on, with a big smile. I also always try to get to the door before they have to figure out entry.

I sometimes make pretzels. with the horse people, when we get to the barn, I hand them a bottle of water. I usually greet guests on the porch as they are getting out of their car and ask if they need help with their luggage. It helps that my desk looks out at the street and I can see cars pull up.

I sometimes make pretzels. with the horse people, when we get to the barn, I hand them a bottle of water. I usually greet guests on the porch as they are getting out of their car and ask if they need help with their luggage. It helps that my desk looks out at the street and I can see cars pull up..
Same here. There is a window to the left of my computer, looking out onto the driveway.

I sometimes make pretzels. with the horse people, when we get to the barn, I hand them a bottle of water. I usually greet guests on the porch as they are getting out of their car and ask if they need help with their luggage. It helps that my desk looks out at the street and I can see cars pull up..
gillumhouse said:
I sometimes make pretzels. with the horse people, when we get to the barn, I hand them a bottle of water.
You should give the horse people a sugar cube!

Greet them at the door with a big smile
Personalized breakfast menu with breakfast delivered to their door
Personalized card and homemade cupcakes waiting for them in their room if there is a special occasion
Homemade cookies & treats in the beverage area
With each guest stay, I make notes in our reservation program about little things they've told me on their previous visits such as how many kids, places they've been to, what kind of work they do, etc. On their next visit I try to work into the conversation little tidbits from my notes. Most of them feel really special because I remember them.
If they are frequent repeat guests, I'll surprise them with a complimentary little gift of a mug or other small item with our logo on it, thanking them for being such loyal guests.
When you see them during their stay, be sure to call them by their names. It makes them feel special and they would not get that at a hotel.

Here are some of the things I did:
  • Plated baked treats waiting in their room on arrival with lights on, TV to guide channel or weather channel, welcome letter
  • 25 hour beverage service (water, sodas, coffee, tea, cocoa, seasonal - hot cider, lemonade,etc)
  • Evening turndown service
  • Greeting card in room for special occasions
  • Fresh flowers in every guest room
  • Special bath amenities for honeymooners, anniversaries, wedding nights
  • Photo holder place card at breakfast table (or on in room breakfast tray) for special occasion - Happy Birthday, Anniversary, etc.
  • Different place settings during stay
  • Personal note on statement at check-out and some kind of take-away (postcard, printed photo recipe card)
Tried to put on a BIG smile when greeting on arrival and every morning...sometimes the most difficult thing to do! :)

I notice nobody has mentioned Googling them before arrival and having photos of their kids and pets in the guest suite.
Glad nobody has mentioned that!

Midwest Madam mine is a simple thing that speaks volumes. I determined we would have a a welcome note or card for every guest with their name on it, or names. This is not always easy to do, so you have to wing it at times.
Having spent a few nights in a hotel recently, I would have thought it was really neat to arrive in my room and have "Welcome to the beach JB!" or whatever wherever you are.

Midwest Madam mine is a simple thing that speaks volumes. I determined we would have a a welcome note or card for every guest with their name on it, or names. This is not always easy to do, so you have to wing it at times.
Having spent a few nights in a hotel recently, I would have thought it was really neat to arrive in my room and have "Welcome to the beach JB!" or whatever wherever you are..
Agreed...this is what guests commented on - the special notes.
But don't take it personally or hurt your feelings if sometimes, you find them tossed on the trash....

I also try to get to the door before they beat on it trying to open a locked door. ;-) I was baking every day and I ended up eating all the leftovers, of which there were many, so I have stopped making snacks.
What we try to do is make sure we are smiling before we get to the door. That can be difficult at noon...
We have a nice set up for guests to help themselves to coffee and tea and most of the amenities of a kitchen except a stove. I think just making sure that room has everything they might need, being available to help and having local information is about as far as I can go. I'll also put a little giftie in the room if they've let me know it's a special event.
I'll tell you what I've been dinged on...being grumpy. (There's that noon thing again.) And not handing the guest a refreshment as they walked in the door. (You may have this as well but 99% of guests have to put down bags just to take the key for their room.)
So, this year I'm working (again) on that grumpy thing..
Madeleine said:
Try freezing your homemade cookie dough in ball shapes and then only bake what you need. We are looking at how to offer a similar evening treat and are currently testing recipes in the freezer.
A test case of the brand name chocolate chip cookie dough found the refrigerated section was pretty good. The massed produced frozen dough from a major home delivery service is not the premium quality we are targeting.

Nothing done special here.....but all rooms have room service breakfast ( always) they pick from 5 or 6 main menue items plus time to be delivered at check in, all have various kitchens, beans in frig for coffee (grind & brew maker in kit), cheese/cracker/Italian water in frig there, king beds, wifi, cable tv, dvd, sofa, chairs table, en suite baths, off st parking, bikes in the barn plus yard games, patio w grill, some decks, etc. + walk to all ( 1 block off main st) hot tub in common rm, etc. and an Innkeeper is here 24/7 to help them when needed. :)

Madeleine said:
Try freezing your homemade cookie dough in ball shapes and then only bake what you need. We are looking at how to offer a similar evening treat and are currently testing recipes in the freezer.
A test case of the brand name chocolate chip cookie dough found the refrigerated section was pretty good. The massed produced frozen dough from a major home delivery service is not the premium quality we are targeting.
ThuderingWind said:
Madeleine said:
It's not like I was putting out a couple of dozen cookies/day. We're talking 10-12 cookies for 16 people. 2 cookies would be gone in the morning and I'd eat the rest of them. No sense in putting the same cookies out the next day for the same people if they didn't eat them day 1.
I'd like to make a single cookie that holds up well in a cookie jar. Freeze big batches of them and just refill the jar as they are taken. Haven't found a cookie that holds up in the freezer without falling apart or being so soggy no one would eat it.
BTW, I used to use that choco chip cookie dough. It lasts maybe a week in the fridge before getting nasty. And, it's full of chemicals so I quit using it. Pillsbury. Or Hershey's. Either one.

Madeleine said:
ThuderingWind said:
Madeleine said:
It's not like I was putting out a couple of dozen cookies/day. We're talking 10-12 cookies for 16 people. 2 cookies would be gone in the morning and I'd eat the rest of them. No sense in putting the same cookies out the next day for the same people if they didn't eat them day 1.
I'd like to make a single cookie that holds up well in a cookie jar. Freeze big batches of them and just refill the jar as they are taken. Haven't found a cookie that holds up in the freezer without falling apart or being so soggy no one would eat it.
BTW, I used to use that choco chip cookie dough. It lasts maybe a week in the fridge before getting nasty. And, it's full of chemicals so I quit using it. Pillsbury. Or Hershey's. Either one.
Maddie, have you ever tried the cake enhancer from KAF? It's basically an emulsifier for soft cookies that keeps them fresher longer. Might be just what you are looking for. It basically extends the shelf life.
You can always make the GF Apricot Coconut balls. They stay fresh in the fridge for a long time and are damn easy to make.

Madeleine said:
ThuderingWind said:
Madeleine said:
I make a popular molasses cookie that freezes well. It works really well all year but is especially popular when it gets to be hot-mulled cider time!
Molasses Cookies
Ingredients: Directions:
1 cup sugar 1. Cream butter and sugar. Mix in molasses and eggs.
1 cup butter
1 cup dark molasses 2. Stir in dry ingredients. (Add raisins last)
2 eggs (unbeaten)
3. Drop about a teaspoon if dough into dish of sugar
4 cups flour pieces.
1 teas baking soda
1 teas salt 4. Roll dough in sugar and place on greased sheets.
2 teas cinnamon
1 teas ground ginger 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Handful of raisins or chopped 6. Place on racks to cool.
Crystallized ginger(optional)

Madeleine said:
ThuderingWind said:
Madeleine said:
Maddie, have you ever tried the cake enhancer from KAF? It's basically an emulsifier for soft cookies that keeps them fresher longer. Might be just what you are looking for. It basically extends the shelf life.
You can always make the GF Apricot Coconut balls. They stay fresh in the fridge for a long time and are damn easy to make.
You know Eric I think it's my oven. I had never had these kinds of problems baking until this oven came into my life. We are going to replace it this winter some time. The temp is never what the readout says. Sometimes it's off by 100 degrees. Sometimes it doesn't heat up at all. I always have to set it for 10 degrees more than the recipe calls for. And then I end up having to put cakes and other 'liquid-y' items in for about 15 minutes longer. Brownies come out like soup. Cookies burn. (That's not why guests don't eat them! I throw the burnt ones out!)

Madeleine said:
ThuderingWind said:
Madeleine said:
You know Eric I think it's my oven. I had never had these kinds of problems baking until this oven came into my life. We are going to replace it this winter some time. The temp is never what the readout says. Sometimes it's off by 100 degrees. Sometimes it doesn't heat up at all. I always have to set it for 10 degrees more than the recipe calls for. And then I end up having to put cakes and other 'liquid-y' items in for about 15 minutes longer. Brownies come out like soup. Cookies burn. (That's not why guests don't eat them! I throw the burnt ones out!)
That's not good. You might want to get an oven thermometer. Something like this... http://www.amazon.com/CDN-DOT2-Oven-Test-Thermometer/dp/B000095RC5 which you can hang on the rack and see what temperature the oven is, really.
Ovens do sometimes have hotter or colder spots, but you can usually get over those by having an oven that offers convection, so that air circulates. For making macaron it is so necessary that they often suggest not only moving trays from top to bottom, but also turning them around. But I have to say that the convection part is so nice to have for having an even temperature.
When you do look at a new oven, there are a few features that some people don't realize that new ovens have, including one that turns off the oven if you forget and leave it on. But basically other than convection, there is nothing special needed in an oven today. It's nice to have the ability to turn on the oven by time. We use it to preheat the oven. And there is one brand that offers a refrigeration option, so you can leave something in the oven overnight and have it go to bake immediately on a timer. (Whiz bang features that cost a lot of money but few people actually use.)

I notice nobody has mentioned Googling them before arrival and having photos of their kids and pets in the guest suite.
Glad nobody has mentioned that!.
totally agree that is a step too far! its a near step into creepy weirdness!

Back