What do you do when guests show up (11am!) with a small child or infant when your policy clearly states: Children over 10...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just was reminded of what is worse than them popping up with an unexpected child at 11am to check in.
Them popping up at breakfast with 2x8yo (that means 8 year old twins) after a late self check in with a res for 2 in a room that sleeps only 2. Happened here! And on top of that....they were INNKEEPERS!
angry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
And on top of that....they were INNKEEPERS!
angry_smile.gif
I've heard that innkeepers are the worst!
Uh oh...real PITAs coming in December?

Just was reminded of what is worse than them popping up with an unexpected child at 11am to check in.
Them popping up at breakfast with 2x8yo (that means 8 year old twins) after a late self check in with a res for 2 in a room that sleeps only 2. Happened here! And on top of that....they were INNKEEPERS!
angry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
You better believe it. We will have additional kids we will sneak in after hours, oh wait you have a self check in, then we will throw a rave at your place.
shades_smile.gif
(BYO of course, since you're a dry county) Where did I put that black light and disco ball? I bet the General Store has some glow sticks etc for the dance floor. Don't worry we will only scratch and dent some of the place when we move all the furniture out.
I will have a bag with only our all time favorites - let me see Talcum powder to bomb the place in dust, super strong oh I know TABOO perfume - possibly one of the strongest, and make sure I atomize it near the window coverings and carpet. Red wine? That doesn't stain does it? All white duvet you say, not a problem...
embaressed_smile.gif

angry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
You better believe it. We will have additional kids we will sneak in after hours, oh wait you have a self check in, then we will throw a rave at your place.
shades_smile.gif
(BYO of course, since you're a dry county) Where did I put that black light and disco ball? I bet the General Store has some glow sticks etc for the dance floor. Don't worry we will only scratch and dent some of the place when we move all the furniture out.
I will have a bag with only our all time favorites - let me see Talcum powder to bomb the place in dust, super strong oh I know TABOO perfume - possibly one of the strongest, and make sure I atomize it near the window coverings and carpet. Red wine? That doesn't stain does it? All white duvet you say, not a problem...
embaressed_smile.gif

And we will NOT forget to bring the dance pole!

angry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Don't forget the dog! You have to bring the dog! And don't check out until 1 PM. Sure the door lock changes but you'll still be on the innside!

I'm getting nervous! Strike that. I was already nervous. Imagine the pressure of having 4 innkeepers in their prime coming. But surely people tired from traveling can't trash a place. Surely.
I did have one couple leave and it took the place 3 days to stop smelling like perfume. I liked the smell but I know many women are "allergic", or claim to be.

angry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
if i was joining the gang, i'd be sure to bring a box of cigars, candles, self-tanner, red lipstick and an infant. enjoy!
devil_smile.gif

I'm getting nervous! Strike that. I was already nervous. Imagine the pressure of having 4 innkeepers in their prime coming. But surely people tired from traveling can't trash a place. Surely.
I did have one couple leave and it took the place 3 days to stop smelling like perfume. I liked the smell but I know many women are "allergic", or claim to be..
Arkansawyer said:
I did have one couple leave and it took the place 3 days to stop smelling like perfume. I liked the smell but I know many women are "allergic", or claim to be.
Relax, Babe! This one is WAYYYyyyy over the Hill. Prime left me long ago. Ahhhh, but I have memories.....

angry_smile.gif
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
Arkansawyer said:
copperhead said:
angry_smile.gif
shades_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif

And we will NOT forget to bring the dance pole!
Oh, boy! The dance pole! Can't wait... gotta make sure my camera batteries are charged up!

I did have one couple leave and it took the place 3 days to stop smelling like perfume. I liked the smell but I know many women are "allergic", or claim to be..
Arkansawyer said:
Relax, Babe! This one is WAYYYyyyy over the Hill. Prime left me long ago. Ahhhh, but I have memories.....
Yeah, well that's not what I've heard.
wink_smile.gif

For the perfume, you have two choices... get a spray like Magiczymes or cheap vodka. Yes, I said vodka and the cheaper the better. Just spray it in the air, when it dries, it takes the scent with it.

For the perfume, you have two choices... get a spray like Magiczymes or cheap vodka. Yes, I said vodka and the cheaper the better. Just spray it in the air, when it dries, it takes the scent with it.
Are you sugar bear from the Elton John song? I always thought he sang "Shouldabeen" but it was sugar bear... Your Vodka tip let me know who you are. :) I remember you shared that before. Good tip!

Are you sugar bear from the Elton John song? I always thought he sang "Shouldabeen" but it was sugar bear... Your Vodka tip let me know who you are. :) I remember you shared that before. Good tip!
Don't you remember the cereal Sugar Crisp, then Super Sugar Crisp, then Super Golden Crisp and I think now it's called Golden Crisp? Remember the song? http://youtu.be/7aXLyZIfDAE

Don't you remember the cereal Sugar Crisp, then Super Sugar Crisp, then Super Golden Crisp and I think now it's called Golden Crisp? Remember the song? http://youtu.be/7aXLyZIfDAE
Oh yeah I know that Sugar Bear. I saw the avatar.
I was referring to this one, a favorite song of mine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSeDujoC4c
Butterflies are free to fly...fly away...high away...
Sorry I need some tunes to sing to today. .. now I have Sir Elton playing while I work...

Joey Bloggs said:
SEE???!!! JB is like Sherlock! She knows all and REMEMBERS!

I take Dogs and well behaved children.
I did have a case a few weeks ago when I had spoken to the wife at 9am and told her 4 pm check in then the Husband turns up at 11am wanting to know if the room is ready.
I am now firm but fair, I set out my terms very clearly and am more than happy to remind.
I can always break my own rules if I want to.

I'm on your side and if I can help by playing Devil's Advocate, I'm in. Use what you can and leave the rest.
As a guest, I am paying good and often big money to stay at a B&B, inn and I look for child-free properties. If I booked expecting quiet, romance, leisure, unwind, I'd have been ticked to see a kiddo on premises. No, I don't hate kids but I live next door to the neighborhood playground (or it could be) and want to be as far from kids as east is from west when I vaca.
I would've offered the guests a lists of hotels that take kids. Let them call and book there. Or not to be rude (but they were, pulling this over on you and your other guests) let them stay one night 'til they found another place. Maybe. Also, how about stating a reminder when peeps book rooms that yours is a child-free property. That will be music to many guests' ears. Try raising acceptable age from 10 to 15, this way parents of six year olds will have to be idiots to think they can pull that one off. A sign on check in desk might help.

I'm on your side and if I can help by playing Devil's Advocate, I'm in. Use what you can and leave the rest.
As a guest, I am paying good and often big money to stay at a B&B, inn and I look for child-free properties. If I booked expecting quiet, romance, leisure, unwind, I'd have been ticked to see a kiddo on premises. No, I don't hate kids but I live next door to the neighborhood playground (or it could be) and want to be as far from kids as east is from west when I vaca.
I would've offered the guests a lists of hotels that take kids. Let them call and book there. Or not to be rude (but they were, pulling this over on you and your other guests) let them stay one night 'til they found another place. Maybe. Also, how about stating a reminder when peeps book rooms that yours is a child-free property. That will be music to many guests' ears. Try raising acceptable age from 10 to 15, this way parents of six year olds will have to be idiots to think they can pull that one off. A sign on check in desk might help..
TinaC said:
Agree totally, people who booked a place that doesn't take young children doesn't expect to have kids running up and down the corridor or some child crying all night.
My biggest concern, and I realise this a UK B&B specific thing ( see UK vs US B&B thread), I'm only insured to take 6 guests, if someone turns up with a child in tow that invalidates my insurance.

I would've offered the guests a lists of hotels that take kids. Let them call and book there. Or not to be rude (but they were, pulling this over on you and your other guests) let them stay one night 'til they found another place. Maybe. Also, how about stating a reminder when peeps book rooms that yours is a child-free property. That will be music to many guests' ears. Try raising acceptable age from 10 to 15, this way parents of six year olds will have to be idiots to think they can pull that one off. A sign on check in desk might help..
TinaC said:
I would've offered the guests a lists of hotels that take kids. Let them call and book there. Or not to be rude (but they were, pulling this over on you and your other guests) let them stay one night 'til they found another place. Maybe. Also, how about stating a reminder when peeps book rooms that yours is a child-free property. That will be music to many guests' ears. Try raising acceptable age from 10 to 15, this way parents of six year olds will have to be idiots to think they can pull that one off. A sign on check in desk might help.
I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding adult only facilities. Once we add any age children to the mix it opens the door for those that must bend the system. Yes, there are those that will be idiots and WILL pull it off by requesting self check in to avoid the host. Has happened here twice and why I always hesitate about allowing late self check ins...
And some B&B's are unable to make an age restriction as the state laws forbid it. There is no 100% fix for handling this. You just have to have your policies in place and deal with those that choose to think they are special. And the reason we have more and more of those is because they have learned that if they cry fowl (a review) too many will give in.

TinaC said:
I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding adult only facilities. Once we add any age children to the mix it opens the door for those that must bend the system. Yes, there are those that will be idiots and WILL pull it off by requesting self check in to avoid the host. Has happened here twice and why I always hesitate about allowing late self check ins...
And some B&B's are unable to make an age restriction as the state laws forbid it. There is no 100% fix for handling this. You just have to have your policies in place and deal with those that choose to think they are special. And the reason we have more and more of those is because they have learned that if they cry fowl (a review) too many will give in.
copperhead said:
And the reason we have more and more of those is because they have learned that if they cry fowl (a review) too many will give in.
Good grief, not chickens, too! (Sorry, had to do it.)
We are in one of those states where kids cannot be excluded. We have tried our darndest to keep them on one side of the house in case they are criers. You know what they are for sure? Jumpers! One room is right over the kitchen and we can hear them bouncing bouncing bouncing around the room. Imagine if you had a room underneath this!
Next year, we are removing another twin bed to reduce the number of options for parents with kids. And we're pretty strict on number of guests in room has to comply with availability of sleeping space. ie- 2 beds? 3 guests. 1 bed? 2 guests. Don't care if you pig pile in the bed at home. Here there has to be enough space for all the people.
No one thinks about it but if you put a pack n play in the room and you block your egress how do you get out in an emergency? Sorry, it's my job to make sure that sort of thing doesn't happen.

TinaC said:
Agree totally, people who booked a place that doesn't take young children doesn't expect to have kids running up and down the corridor or some child crying all night.
My biggest concern, and I realise this a UK B&B specific thing ( see UK vs US B&B thread), I'm only insured to take 6 guests, if someone turns up with a child in tow that invalidates my insurance.
Hey, Highlands John. Thanks for the note! As for the insurance thing, it's a blessing as you can use that when guests try to bend your rules. When applicable, you can always can say your insurance won't cover that.

Back