what do you do with things left behind?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine

Reaction score
What if a guest leaves something behind. Do you only send it to them if its something of value? what about clothes etc...?

They have my toll-free number, they can call and I will make arrangements to send (they pay postage). My exceptions to date have been the medications left in a dresser drawer (I sent and did not receive poatage or even a thank you) and a pillow that I contacted her, she was grateful and did send postage. All else they sent postage or it did not get sent. Sending left behinds will break the bank. Guests do not stop to think how much it cost you to send that.

I don't notify a person of something left behind. If they contact me, I will send it to them and will charge for packing and shipping.
Otherwise, I keep the item for a while (at least a month) then get rid of it.

Depends.
We've mailed medicine. That same couple left two brand new pillows which we kept.
I mailed a T-shirt... they didn't call and ask, and didn't send postage, but it didn't cost much to mail and I thought the 13-year-old who lost it would appreciate it.
Other things get used by me or donated to Goodwill or tossed if worthless/unusable.
=)
Kk.

If they call or contact me, it is sent back. Usually not valuable stuff. So I keep it in a box for a while and then toss it. You have to be careful about sending stuff back..what if the sexy nightie you send back does not belong to the wife?????
sad_smile.gif
IF they want it..they will call.
I did have a case where a gal from England left a valuable diamond and sapphire ring on the nightstand. I knew where they were going next..so called there to let them know I had it. She was so relieved and grateful and I mailed it on to the place they were staying...thankfully they were goind to be there for 4 days so she could get it.

If they call or contact me, it is sent back. Usually not valuable stuff. So I keep it in a box for a while and then toss it. You have to be careful about sending stuff back..what if the sexy nightie you send back does not belong to the wife?????
sad_smile.gif
IF they want it..they will call.
I did have a case where a gal from England left a valuable diamond and sapphire ring on the nightstand. I knew where they were going next..so called there to let them know I had it. She was so relieved and grateful and I mailed it on to the place they were staying...thankfully they were goind to be there for 4 days so she could get it..
i just recently sent diamond earrings to a guest ... my son took the info ... i should have called and told them i'd be packing an invoice for reimbursement of the shipping cost or just enclosed one.
it does add up ... and sorry to say a lot of folks just expect you to return their things to them as part of the service.
people rush off to take the ferry and then call insisting that we get whatever it is down to the dock in time for the next boat so they can pick it up on the island. it's usually a guest who has taken the 7 am boat ... i'm doing breakfast ... and the next boat leaves the dock at 10:30. they'll call around 9:30 or so ... yes, it's a quick walk over there but it is at the worst possible time. if i can leave, i'll hustle over there. if i can't, i tell them it might not be until the later boat. (no charge of course)

Since most guests travel with a cell phone these days it is much easier to reach them. I do not call unless they just left and I found their camera or something they need right away. Otherwise they have to contact us. If it is a nighty, phone charger, belt, small item I don't call.
IF I return an item, lost earring, glasses etc. I DO NOT ASK THE GUEST TO PAY ME BACK, I CHARGE THEIR CARD WHEN I SEND IT. Done deal. THEY APPRECIATE IT.
My time is worth nothing? My fuel is worth nothing? It is a hassle to go to the post office and interrupt my day.
I charge the cc # they left with us. I know many innkeepers send stuff back and request payment and never get it. Don't be a sucker, don't give give give. Charge the card.

I am with the majority here - I wait for a call, if no call I keep for a while then use or discard.
Now this topic always reminds me of this story...this couple which stayed here 2-3 times left behind a pair of boxer briefs with hearts, XXOO - maybe from Valentines or something. Anyway - I never keep underwear, if it is left, it is tossed. A couple of days later, I receive a call - 'Johnny left a pair of boxers in the bathroom, would you please mail them to me, they were special, ...' DH saw me digging through the garbage and cracked when I told him the story.
Then there is this ruby necklace...still in the black box with price tag. It was found by a guest saying they found it when double checking under the bed for their belongings. It was tucked behind the headboard foot. Someone must have intended to give it to their GF or DW and forgot about it. I made 2-3 calls of previous guests with no luck. (then I worried I may stir up something) Tried to find the store, but no luck there. This was several years ago - it does look nice around my neck.
wink_smile.gif

Mostly guests never call. The guests who DO call are the ones who lost something somewhere, but not here, and think I'm lying and keeping their valuable whatever. (Yes, you can hear it in their voice.)
I mailed a pair of pants to the UK once, kid left them, brand new hanging on the back of a chair. He paid the freight.
I've sent some clothing back free of charge but some items are just too heavy. With mailing prices these days being all over the board depending on how far away you live, it's too much to expect me to mail it for free.
Medications never get called for. Pillows I have a dozen of. I keep stuff for a month and then toss it or donate it.
The oddest request to mail something back came from someone who left behind a shower cap. It was brand new and she wanted it back. That's not even something I would consider putting in the lost & found. Just figured she needed it for the trip and was done with it, so it was tossed when found.
I have a really nice watch that I will wear once I weigh 120 lbs and can get it around my wrist. I have a roll of film I've never developed. These items both left behind by foreign travelers who were walk-ins.

I am with the majority here - I wait for a call, if no call I keep for a while then use or discard.
Now this topic always reminds me of this story...this couple which stayed here 2-3 times left behind a pair of boxer briefs with hearts, XXOO - maybe from Valentines or something. Anyway - I never keep underwear, if it is left, it is tossed. A couple of days later, I receive a call - 'Johnny left a pair of boxers in the bathroom, would you please mail them to me, they were special, ...' DH saw me digging through the garbage and cracked when I told him the story.
Then there is this ruby necklace...still in the black box with price tag. It was found by a guest saying they found it when double checking under the bed for their belongings. It was tucked behind the headboard foot. Someone must have intended to give it to their GF or DW and forgot about it. I made 2-3 calls of previous guests with no luck. (then I worried I may stir up something) Tried to find the store, but no luck there. This was several years ago - it does look nice around my neck.
wink_smile.gif
As a concierge, I will only send out their things if they call us and then send it out FedEx and use their credit card (theres a place right on the FedEx form).

Then there was the lady that called asking about her diamond ring. Did you find it? No but I will go look again. Called back - did you find it, I am sorry but you must have lost it somewhere else because it is not here. I got down on the floor and looked everywhere and it is not here.
I know she did not believe me but what can you do.

Then there was the lady that called asking about her diamond ring. Did you find it? No but I will go look again. Called back - did you find it, I am sorry but you must have lost it somewhere else because it is not here. I got down on the floor and looked everywhere and it is not here.
I know she did not believe me but what can you do..
I had a guest tell me she lost her sunglasses while walking on our property and could I keep my eyes open for them. We're on over 100 acres. With 10km of trails. This was in the fall.
Remarkably, I found them two months later. I emailed to tell her (didn't offer to mail them). She'll pick them up when she's here again in October.

I had that same scenario with a diamond earring that was a wedding gift. Guest was here on 25th anniversary and everything went wrong including losing one earring. We even took the vacuum bag apart in case it had been on the floor. Nothing, nowhere. She did not believe me. Hey, I have my own diamond wedding earrings, why would I want her (unmatched) diamond?
tounge_smile.gif

I had a guest tell me she lost her sunglasses while walking on our property and could I keep my eyes open for them. We're on over 100 acres. With 10km of trails. This was in the fall.
Remarkably, I found them two months later. I emailed to tell her (didn't offer to mail them). She'll pick them up when she's here again in October.
happyjacks said:
When I was a teen and used to walk to the school bus, I lost $5 in the winter in my neighbor's yard (summer people). Found it in the spring. I won't forget that ever!

I had that same scenario with a diamond earring that was a wedding gift. Guest was here on 25th anniversary and everything went wrong including losing one earring. We even took the vacuum bag apart in case it had been on the floor. Nothing, nowhere. She did not believe me. Hey, I have my own diamond wedding earrings, why would I want her (unmatched) diamond?
tounge_smile.gif

When we moved in, we were stripping wallpaper off everything. I did not even think about what I was wearing (other than jeans & T thoughts) and proceeded to scrape wallpaper off the walls and ceiling in the upstairs bathroom. Later when I was talking to DH, he asked why I was only wearing one earring. I had the diamond studs on only now it was stud. I started looking through the big trash bag and then made an executive decision - it was none of my kids nor my husband. It was a rock and it was insured. Tied up the bag and called my insurance agent and put in a claim on a lost earring. They replaced it.

I've had a couple of things left behind. I emailed one guest that he had left behind 3 polo shirts & said I'd be happy to return them & charge his card for the postage. He said that he'd send me a prepaid mailer. Which he did. I guess he was afraid that I would charge for my time & the postage, too.

Like El says, wait for them to call for it. I believe I recall an innkeeper that got dragged into divorce court to testify. She made the mistake of calling the home and asking the wife who answered the phone did she want the fogotten item mailed back. So, beware!!
Riki

We actually had some guests leave their suitcases behind!!! How dumb was that? They weren't in any hurry as they left...I thought they had packed up their car..but no...suitcases still in the room.
Thankfully, I knew the direction they were heading...to the caverns...went over there, found them in line, and told them to come back for their luggage when they were done. They were embarrassed.
I was not about to drag them around with me!!!

wink_smile.gif
Copperhead said:
wink_smile.gif
Maybe you hubs hid it for you and forgotten about it?????
regular_smile.gif

Back