What do you feed Vegans?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Farmers Daughter

Reaction score
This is sooo out of my ballpark. We have farm style breakfasts for the most part. Heavy on eggs, dairy, cheese, meat. I'm clueless, but just booked vegans for next week....oh no! What have I done?!?!?

Just remember than you can't use anything that came from something with a face. That includes honey. In the recipe section on this site in the recipes is a wonderful vegan pumpkin bread recipe. You can do scrambles with potatoes, veggies, tofu, etc. Oatmeal and I also make then a smoothie using soy milk, coconut milk and lots of fruit.
Here's a website that has some good breakfast recipes www.vegancoach.com/vegan-breakfast.html

I would start by asking them what type of protein sources they eat. Some like the soy based meat type products and others do not. Ask them what they eat at home for breakfast and then go from there. It's much better than trying to guess and being stuck with a lot of expensive products that you won't have any use for.

So, I'd like to give the smart aleck answer first...'other vegans, except they don't eat meat.'
OK, now that that's done with...load up on the fruit. Depending on how long they are staying and how involved you want to get, there's a pretty decent soy sausage casserole recipe that could be made for 2. OTOH, with guests whose needs are so far out of your expertise and offerings, the best bet may be to email them and ask what they usually eat. You may find they don't want much anyway.
If you're wondering how to decide...if it ever had a face, they won't eat it. So you need to stick to the veggie/fruit side of the food pyramid.

This topic I believe has been covered here before do a search and see what comes up.

I would start by asking them what type of protein sources they eat. Some like the soy based meat type products and others do not. Ask them what they eat at home for breakfast and then go from there. It's much better than trying to guess and being stuck with a lot of expensive products that you won't have any use for..
SweetiePie said:
I would start by asking them what type of protein sources they eat. Some like the soy based meat type products and others do not. Ask them what they eat at home for breakfast and then go from there. It's much better than trying to guess and being stuck with a lot of expensive products that you won't have any use for.
You have to be very careful about the soy based meat products. All of them are vegetarian, but most of them are not vegan because they use some dairy bi-products.

Fantastic World Foods makes a Tofu Scrambler. It's in a box and it's a combination of herbs and spices. All you have to do is crumble up some tofu, mix in the herbs and fry it in a little olive oil. Of course you can do your own herbs, but this really has good flavor and it's so easy, especially when you are preparing the other breakfasts for your guests. You can probably get it at any health food store. I get it at my local supermarket, but they have an unusually good selection of these types of products. There is also soy yogurt, soy cheese, soy cream cheese, etc.

When we had them we just asked them "what do you want to eat for breakfast?"
Makes it alot easier than trying to come up with something and still not know what they will or won't eat. DOn't try and second guess or go out and spend a fortune on special ingredients. ASK!!!
We too just did a tofu scramble with whatever veggies we had on hand.
Half the vegans we had...never stuck to it anyway. I was shocked when they reached for all the cookies and cakes I had around!

Vegans - veggie's. No dairy.
Make them potatoes, beans, make them fruit dishes, typically vegans bring much of their own required dietary stuff, like special cereals protein mixes.

Bears, mountain lions, wolves, occassionally a larger pack of coyotes can take down a Vegan around here, but you don't read about that as much as the mountain lions.
Oh, you meant what do you feed Vegans, not what do you feed Vegans to..... LOL
Never mind.

Bears, mountain lions, wolves, occassionally a larger pack of coyotes can take down a Vegan around here, but you don't read about that as much as the mountain lions.
Oh, you meant what do you feed Vegans, not what do you feed Vegans to..... LOL
Never mind..
bear.jpeg
You're on a roll today!

Well, after the lousy evening I had yesterday, the new day dawning today was filled with nothing but good thoughts and a smile.

i'd ask them.
and how many breakfasts are we talking about?
lots of fruit and granola and nuts and bagels
i wouldn't know what to do with tofu

i'd ask them.
i wouldn't know what to do with tofu.
You can use the "silken" type and it will kind of mush and crumble just like the consistency of scrambled eggs.
She mostly does scrambles with fresh veggies & herbs and such for these type of folks, with lots of pan fried potatoes.
I'll usually take the plate and sneak in some bacobits and a pat of butter in the potatoe pan, just to teach 'em for booking at our place. heh...heh... heh...
Actually, I think Vegans are easier than some of the other dietary restrictions.

Another dish I've served and this is a big hit:
in a small oval individual baking dish, put a nice layer of either marinara or thin spaghetti sauce (meatless of course),
sliced polenta you have fried a little in olive oil until a little crispy (you can buy it in a tube already cooked)
a little more sauce
soy cheese
Bake in a 350 degree oven until everything is hot and the soy cheese melts a bit. Soy cheese doesn't melt like real cheese, so don't cook too long. About 15-20 minutes.

i'd ask them.
i wouldn't know what to do with tofu.
seashanty said:
i'd ask them.
i wouldn't know what to do with tofu
You can do pretty much anything with tofu...fry it up like eggs, put it in a casserole, eat it straight (ugh).

Another dish I've served and this is a big hit:
in a small oval individual baking dish, put a nice layer of either marinara or thin spaghetti sauce (meatless of course),
sliced polenta you have fried a little in olive oil until a little crispy (you can buy it in a tube already cooked)
a little more sauce
soy cheese
Bake in a 350 degree oven until everything is hot and the soy cheese melts a bit. Soy cheese doesn't melt like real cheese, so don't cook too long. About 15-20 minutes..
lots of fruit and we make a kick-ass tofu veggie scramble. in a fry pan with olive oil, saute potatoes, peppers, tomatoes & onions. (i usually nuke the potatoes for a few minutes so the saute process is quicker.) when the veggies are soft, i crumple in the tofu and heat thru. after a minute or two, i toss in some pumpkin seeds for crunch. i serve it with some fresh basil on top...
smells heavenly and my vegan guests always ask for the recipe.

I thought it was if it had eyes or feet it is a no-no. The only eyes permitted are in the potatoes.
Rice could be used also. If I am packing a lunch for vegans, I take a large apple peeled & cored, about 1/2 cup of walnuts (or any nut you prefer as in pecans), and about 8 or 10 sage leaves from the herb garden and put in the processor to make a paste. This is the sandwich filling. We normal people, I make this as a topping for turkey or chicken sandwiches (what I consider a "dead" meaning tasteless meats). It gets rave reviews.

I learned a few things from a very helpful guest who was a vegan. There is a product called Buttery Sticks that looks, acts, and almost tastes like butter. I made a tofu vegetable frittata. I thought that the softer tofu would work better but she told me (rightly so) that the firm tofu behaved better as a substitute for eggs. I used a variety of shredded veggies and mushrooms and sauteed it some of the melted Buttery Sticks & added some cubed tofu. Used hash browns for the crust, added the veggies and tofu, some veggie "cheese", and this spice she had given me that is vegan (I have some but am not at home to peek at it!) She loved it and said it was better than anything she made at home. Garnished with tomatoes & fresh herbs from the garden. I found some breadto toast without dairy or eggs, which was more of a challenge where I live. Fruit course & we were done. Found a recipe online for Vegan French Toast that uses banana as the binder and that was pretty good. Some kind of oatmeal thing worked out. And I guess I did some kind of tofu scramble for her.
I did ask her what she normally made for herself and then just did my best. She was very appreciative of my efforts. I think the rule of not cooking for yourself still applies :)

Back